#1 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

That's right folks.....

My Stinker (real name: Tika) - in avatar photo, the difficult one on the left - she's had minor D to explosive, pure liquid poops for at least seven years. That is exactly the time she finished chemotherapy, as a matter of fact (two years of vincristine injections for lymphoma - - don't make fun of me, it was only around $2000 and SHE WAS MY ONLY BABY!! :huh: )

It was so sad, I could literally hear her stomach churning and squeaking, at times, from another room. And there was nothing I could do...took her to the doctor SO many times and without surgery, they couldn't determine anything. She's been through TOO much already to cut her open.....

So guess what, a couple of months ago, at my vet's recommendation, I switched the girls to Bil Jac dog food, and STINKER HAS HAD SOLID STOOLS for lo, these many weeks! I was just so grateful that she was finally feeling better and I never even thought to read the ingredients. Until today and - you guessed it - no wheat, nothing suspicious, NO GLUTEN!

I am so excited! Stinker is going on 12 years old and she feels fabulous!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Makes mommy very happy :) and I had to share.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfp

gfp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

see http://www.dogtorj.c...56761/index.htm
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Wow Susan, that's really something! So glad she's gotten some relief. It's so hard to watch a pet go through a rough time and not know how to help. I'll bet she's so grateful to her mommy for figuring it out :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 mart

mart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Awesome.

#5 Tangerine

Tangerine

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

Yay! that makes me happy. :)

I love dogs <3 <3 <3
Lindsay:)

"I dread knowing precisely where my limits are"--- Rene Magritte

Anemic 2002--- 2006 tested recovered :)!
Celiac since 5/05
Sever Reaction to Sulfa Meds 1/06 (Allergic)
Allergic to Asperillgus Mold, Some Pollens, Trees, and Grasses 3/06
Endometriosis 6/06
Casein, Soy, Corn free 6/06

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

That's great Susan! Glad she's feeling better with the new food. :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

thanks guys!

.....abd you know what else....I don't have to scrape liquid poop out of the grass any more.... :blink: Such nice, formed normal stools now....another bonus!

:D :D :D

p.s. love DoctorJ and didn't know about him, thanks GFP!
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#8 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:05 PM

I've actually heard celiac is really common in (ironically enough) Wheaton Terriers. LOL!!

Glad to hear your dog is feeling better.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#9 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:47 PM

So glad she's feeling better. My cat is my baby and I treat him like such. I know you were worried.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#10 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

Glad you figured that out. I suspect my cat has it too. I must find some gluten-free food for him. I've been busy with his litter box. Does anyone know of any gluten-free cat food? I love your photo! LLee
Lee

#11 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

:) That is so great to hear. My dog Baby Ruth-golden retriever-has incredible stinky gas and loose, not liquid but still hard to scoop up (and so gross) stools. I think I will switch her to see if it makes a difference as soon as I use up the case of pedigree. Is Biljack the frozen food? I understand completely about them being your babies. I joke I have 2 handsome sons, but only one daughter-she's quite a dog. :)

#12 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

Glad you figured that out. I suspect my cat has it too. I must find some gluten-free food for him. I've been busy with his litter box. Does anyone know of any gluten-free cat food? I love your photo! LLee

Fresh meat, fish and birds? with fur, feathers and all.

You have a little adjustment over this as the poor cat's digestive system gets back to what it should be which can give a little D ... my cat used to go through this every time he came back from the cattery which fed them dried food and much of the dried food is packed full of addictive stuff ... there is a reason the cat in the ads always chooses the right bowl :D

It doesn't need to be any more expensive ... we used to give our cat roast chicken or whatever...usually the difficult but fatty parts like wings and the carcass and he would strip it completely leaving all the bones.
Raw beef offcuts etc. etc. his own personal choice was dormice (soft and chewy on the outside but crunchy on the inside) and rabbits ... (we lived in the country) as a backup we used to have tuna in water (but it was a bit expensive so just a backup) ...
If the cat eats fur its by choice... not because they can't seperate it from the meat, they can pretty much pick anything out of anything, like worming pills out of anything you hide them in!
In fact I think fresh meat falls between the cost of the budget (mainly grain and rice) cat food and the expensive meat only cat foods....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#13 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:32 AM

Do you cook it? He never really cared for people food but lately he will eat a little bite usually from something grilled. I heard not to give a cat garlic-have you? I put garlic on alot. Thanks, LLee
Lee

#14 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

that's great you figured it out, one of my kitties has it too! he had previously been diagnosed with bullimia and then after the death of our cat Jezebel last November, he started losing weight and losing fur in patches... the vet said he had Celiac! I couldn't believe it! Since putting him on One Earth Cat food, he's gained his weight back, his fur looks beautiful and he's happier than ever!

#15 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:42 AM

that's great you figured it out, one of my kitties has it too! he had previously been diagnosed with bullimia and then after the death of our cat Jezebel last November, he started losing weight and losing fur in patches... the vet said he had Celiac! I couldn't believe it! Since putting him on One Earth Cat food, he's gained his weight back, his fur looks beautiful and he's happier than ever!

Thanks Nini, Do you get it at a pet store? I will try that. Is it dry food? My cat is older -long-haired and keeps me busy with the litter box. What kind of litter do you use? I used to always be a dog person but they all went to heaven so I'm learning. Hope you are doing well. I know it has been a hard month for you. LindaLee
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: