This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Dog Is Celiac!

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Yup, gorgeous cat....I miss my fat, healthy, Cookster kitty....17 pounds, tortie-point Himalayan (not purebred).....quite the huntress and lived an amazing life, only sick the last two weeks of her 14 years (liver failure)..... :( When one of my dogs dies I am getting a kitty....so much easier than dogs.

I disagree GFP, I'd rather open a can (for dogs), go to a drive-thru, order up, tear a bag open (for dogs also) ANY day than have to do all this cooking I do now.....I absolutely LOATHE the acquisition and preparation of food, always have, always will....what a terrible and cruel irony Celiac is! Having to CONSTANTLY worry about food and COOK FOOD....the horror......no more just driving through El Pollo or running anywhere to pick up food.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! if and when I win the lottery (I guess I have to buy tickets to win :huh: ) I am getting a part-time chef......what joy!

Of course the flip side of this diet is I haven't eaten this way in years....VERY healthy and almost no processed food but how freakin' tedious to steam vegetables every day!! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Yup, gorgeous cat....I miss my fat, healthy, Cookster kitty....17 pounds, tortie-point Himalayan (not purebred).....quite the huntress and lived an amazing life, only sick the last two weeks of her 14 years (liver failure)..... :( When one of my dogs dies I am getting a kitty....so much easier than dogs.

I disagree GFP, I'd rather open a can (for dogs), go to a drive-thru, order up, tear a bag open (for dogs also) ANY day than have to do all this cooking I do now.....I absolutely LOATHE the acquisition and preparation of food, always have, always will....what a terrible and cruel irony Celiac is! Having to CONSTANTLY worry about food and COOK FOOD....the horror......no more just driving through El Pollo or running anywhere to pick up food.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! if and when I win the lottery (I guess I have to buy tickets to win :huh: ) I am getting a part-time chef......what joy!

Of course the flip side of this diet is I haven't eaten this way in years....VERY healthy and almost no processed food but how freakin' tedious to steam vegetables every day!! :angry:

How long have you been gluten-free?

I'm asking because I think cooking is something you get used to.... I mean I would die without my dishwasher but its an aquired perspective. When you base your life around running to El Pollo then you obviously don't stock up but I actually really enjoy food shopping now.

Im not saying it wouldn't be useful sometimes but if you can make it a leisure activity it can be quite fun it just takes planning and attitude.

When i buy food I walk round the market and start thinking what I can make and cooking can be quite rewarding but it helps to have someone to share ... and chat with as Im cooking, when Im alone its much harder....but I rtend to cook 3-4 portions and freeze 2 and put one in the fridge.

The thing is i can whip anything up pretty much from memory so when Im shopping recipees come to mind and I only really buy fresh fruit and vegetables but only because i have done it so long. When I was first diagnosed it was a horror and I would go to supermarkets and practically break down but once i got the knack and stopped trying to find gluten-free substitutes everywhere I started to enjoy it.

What really annoys me is inverse shopping as i call it where I go to find somethig inparticular so now i let the market decide and buy what looks good/fresh instead.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
How long have you been gluten-free?

Five months.....was severely malnourished and part of the reason for "instant food " was no STRENGTH or stamina to cook anything except two or three times a week.....

Im not saying it wouldn't be useful sometimes but if you can make it a leisure activity it can be quite fun it just takes planning and attitude.

Yes, I used to enjoy this and would cook for various boyfriends and myself in younger days....but, this involved drinking WINE while doing and as you may have read in another post where I once again bared my soul, have to quit that for a while or forever...... *SNIFF*

What really annoys me is inverse shopping as i call it where I go to find somethig inparticular so now i let the market decide and buy what looks good/fresh instead.

Bien, mais vous habitez EN FRANCE et c'est la.....j'ai oublier (sp?) la mot....that's what everyone does! Vraiment la belle cuisine....ah, to be a Celiac in France, je pense que c'est plus facile?

Ooops - still don't quite know how to do those quotes in between like you all do..... :blink: don't bother explaining, my brain is feeble......

gfp Enthusiast
Bien, mais vous habitez EN FRANCE et c'est la.....j'ai oublier (sp?) la mot....that's what everyone does! Vraiment la belle cuisine....ah, to be a Celiac in France, je pense que c'est plus facile?

Ooops - still don't quite know how to do those quotes in between like you all do..... :blink: don't bother explaining, my brain is feeble......

Ahh go-on its not hard you just wrap the word "quote" in square brackets at the front and "/quote" at the end of each quoted bit (can''t write it else it will quote ...) you can be fancier but that will get you off to a good start.

Some things are easier and others harder. Fresh produce is easier I think, unless you live in the sticks in the US and even in Paris I have lots of markets to choose from but awareness is nearly non-existant ....

Haven't read your alcohol post yet... I did notice you had posted on it but if I look I will end up commenting again!

Saw the girlfriend of my bipolar friend last night btw... he has a morbid fear of death and is working in the graveyard .. although not nights... and apparently he's coping really well, given up weed and down to 2 sixpacks a day (and non export at that) although the Dr's keep telling hoim he needs to stop drinking for the medication to work properly ...its still a massive step for him!

When I'm alone and my girlfriend is away I tend to invite friends over .... it helps to have the incentive. Strangely I rarely drink when I cook.... ?? dunno why?

• 2 weeks later...
lindalee Enthusiast
LindaLee, Both of my cats have celiac, so I use Special Kitty brand from Wal Mart in the green bag. It has to be the green bag, the blue one had wheat last time I looked. Also, probably half of the Special Kitty canned cat food is glutenfree. You have to read the labels, but my cats are doing sssooo much better on a gluten-free diet! I always know when Joie steals a slice of bread, the whole house stinks!

I did not get the special kitty green bag it said wheat on it. Which one do you get? Thanks, LLee

jenvan Collaborator

Wow Susan! It seems like it is possible, from what I've read. Glad Tika is doing well ! :D

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hey Susie -- Just thought -- like mother, like daughter!!!!! Had to say it . . . . . :lol: Lynnie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Hey Susie -- Just thought -- like mother, like daughter!!!!! Had to say it . . . . . :lol: Lynnie

Yup, Tika comes up with very exotic (read: expensive) illnesses and friends now call her The Dog Who Will Not Die (lymphoma survivor, pancreatitis, Cushing's, now what appears to be Celiac..... :blink: )

On a serious note, my Annie is quite sick, with symptoms that are not indicative of giardia, and I was informed of this by 2Kids4Me, whose husbnad is a vet. That's the great thing about this board - so many people with such a knowledge base. So, we are going to the doctor today, and I can only hope it isn't too expensive and that she's okay. :(

jenvan Collaborator

Let us know Susan!

Archived