This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloated Again!

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Okay...I'm going back to keeping a food journal, especially now that i graze all day long. I just ate a small bagful of Rainier cherries. Yum. They were hugely expensive since the rains messed up the harvest, so I kept the weight off the scale and only bought enough to eat on my walk home.

Now I'm bloat galore. It doesn't hurt - I just look like someone whose intestines are inflamed.

What about fructose intolerance? Anyone here with that issue? I'm getting my food panel blood drawn in a week, so in a few weeks I'll know if I'm eating anything my body hates -- until then, it'd be great to decrease the bloating.

Also, secondary question...the pain from the bloating is mostly gone, and the C is gone, ever since I quit grains altogether about five days ago. If my intestines were inflamed from eating grains, how long would one suppose it would take them to normalize?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Deej Newbie

I have been sick for three days from salad. Salad! It goes through me completely undigested and then omg the pain, D and the whole nine years.

Fruit is totally out for me. I avoid citrus fruit like the plague and only tolerate berries on occasion.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I understand. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't do a lot of fruit, myself. I eat a banana in the morning, and sometimes some blueberries. If I try to have any more fruit in the afternoon, it causes cramping, bloating and sometimes warrents a bathroom visit.

lorka150 Collaborator

cherries, in general, cause bloating.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I've been paying attention, and frankly, it doesn't matter what I eat. Once I'm done eating and relax, there goes the bloat. If you look at me in the mirror, you can practically see where my intestines are. The other thing that gets me bloated in that way is hot showers. Not always, but almost always. The only one that doens't is the first morning shower. (I just made it sound like I take ten showers a day. Actually, depending on how weird my hair looks when I wake up, sometimes I shower at night.)

Hmmmm.....

lorka150 Collaborator

after gluten free, i'm pretty much constantly bloated.

but i'm not having diarreah, and a lot of my other symptoms went away. i'd rather be bloated then the other stuff.

Zueban1 Newbie

RE: Bloated Again

I have been on the fructose free diet, along with gluten-free and lactose free, for the recommended 6 weeks (Of course life long for gluten-free and who knows for lactose). Now I am reintroducing fruit. I have been doing one fruit every three days for two weeks. Now I am lifting the bar some in general. I ate cantalope today (my first non-berry fruit) I'm not sure if it's ok yet, my gut feels funny but no diarreha. However, I am really, really bloated from the probiotics that I am also taking to clear up the leaky gut. Sometimes when I eat I still can feel my gut or small intestines not being happy. Anyone do the re-introducing of fruits, how do you know if you are ok? Also, any experieince with probiotics? I am soooo sick of this whiole thing, though I know eventually I will feel better. But the cooking etc is just a lot. I work full-time, have two kids and on and on.

Thanks,

Suzi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I just quit fruit yesterday. I've had no sugar or sugary fruits for a day and a half now. I will say that my bloating went down.

I've also slowed down on the probiotics...instead taking one called florastor which is a yeast rather than bacteria.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my progress...but I'm not planning on adding fruit back for another two weeks. Is that long enough to kill candida?

Lymetoo Contributor
I've also slowed down on the probiotics...instead taking one called florastor which is a yeast rather than bacteria...... Is that long enough to kill candida?

Wow, I didn't know that about florastor! I've had systemic yeast for many years. Being on long term antibiotics for many years didn't help either....but I had no choice.

I've found that theralac is awesome! you can find it at www.theralac.com

Two weeks will help a yeast problem, but may not "cure" it. You have to watch ALL SUGARS and even starches. I've noticed that alot of gluten free stuff contains sugar. <sigh>

hope this helps!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Yeah, knocking out all grains helps avoid the "gluten-free" foods, since they are all based on grain. No more Pamela's.

I think one hard thing is the no beans rule. This isn't about sugar really, but about lectins - well, they also feed yeast with their sugar-coating so to speak. I made my husband some chili last night (gluten-free amy's black bean chili - so I guess "Amy" made it, not me). I wanted a bite so badly.

But, I can't argue with the disappearance of the bloat. So I'm giving the NO SUGARy stuff two weeks, and then if I've figured it out pretty well, I'll try to hold on to it for a month or two, just to be on the safe side. By then summer will be over anyhow, and maybe I can just add back some sweet potato and a tiny bit of apple (to hold my walnut or almond butter). I'm glad I ate several pints of strawberries before I decided to go fruit-free. They are awesome this year (I live in Washington State - and I think the crappy Spring let them ripe longer or something....delicious.)

Florastor is something my naturopath gave me, saying it knocks the hell out of whatever bad is going on in the gut. I haven't been too good about taking it because at first, something he gave me was giving me a tummy ache. I figured out it was a different herb and put that one in the cupboard to try again when my digestion is stronger - so I need to pound these Florastor. They're shockingly expensive - $52/bottle of 50 pills. More than a buck a pill. Don't drop any of those under the dishwasher!

I'll check out this theralac you mentioned.

Lymetoo Contributor

[ I figured out it was a different herb and put that one in the cupboard to try again when my digestion is stronger - so I need to pound these Florastor. They're shockingly expensive - $52/bottle of 50 pills. More than a buck a pill. Don't drop any of those under the dishwasher!

I'll check out this theralac you mentioned.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Yeah, Florastor is the same way. It also can be used to fight diarrhea on a shorter term.

Zueban1 Newbie

I also might check out this website

Open Original Shared Link

and look up Dietary Fructose Intolerance on the web in general. They say to do a 4-6 weeks with no fruit, no sugars,limited veggies... I just ended this strict diet. (Pain in the butt, esp since I am a vegatarian.) I have been slowly reintroducing fructose back into my diet, you eat one new fruit every three days and see what happens. However, I am still having problems, but it's unclear if it's the fruit or the probiotics or some other gut thing. I am culturelle. But I am interested in what you all have been taking. I absolutely hate the way the probiotics have been making me feel, I have been on them for a month. However, I am still not right in the gut. It does seem like long-term un diagnoised celiac wreeks havoc in ones body. I also have a bunch other autoimmune issues, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sojrens, Reynauds, and Thyroid disease - which I do eastern and western health care for, thus I am on lots of meds (western). Maybe my meds have also wrecked my stomach!!!

-Suzi

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I will certainly say, we're at day four and I still have no bloat. I miss fruit, though. It is summer and I want all the yummy local strawberries we have here. Blast! I'm hoping that it's yeast and not fructose, so I can go back to it.

Good luck.

Archived