This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Safe Hot Dog Brands In Canada?

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I would really like to enjoy some all beef or turkey/chicken hot dogs, but every brand I try makes me sick. Unfourtunately, Maple Leaf and Butterball have both made me sick. I have looked for Oscar Myer, but I cannot find them anywhere. Does anyone know of any safe brands here in Canada? Thanks so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

olalisa Contributor

Do you have Hebrew National brand in Canada? They are gluten free and really good :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Sorry, Carrie, we use Maple Leaf Top Dog hot dogs. What about looking for hot dogs manufactured by Mitchell or Olympic? I think they are gluten free. Mitchell's says they don't "hide" ingredients. You'll have to double check gluten-free status though, because I can't remember, and I'm at work so I don't have my list handy.

Guest Viola

I actually use Butterball, but Feybe's meats should have gluten free right on them. They make Europeon type weiners which are good as well :D

Green12 Enthusiast

Can you find Applegate Farms in Canada? I don't know if they are just in the U.S. but they are definitely gluten-free. They come in turkey or chicken that I know of for sure and maybe beef.

Also Wellshire Farms, I believe they have beef, chicken, and turkey hotdogs to choose from (but not totally positive) and they always label their allergen info. Again, not sure if they can be found in Canada.

Felidae Enthusiast
I actually use Butterball, but Feybe's meats should have gluten free right on them. They make Europeon type weiners which are good as well :D

Freybe's are also casein-free, even though they only say lactose free on the package. Their website says all except two products are casein-free.

Hey, Carriefaith, I got married at your avatar picture.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I like Hebrew National! I even like their motto ("We answer to a higher authority...") :) Only problem for me is that they have sodium nitrite, which is the only thing that has ever given me pimples! :angry:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try and see if those brands are here in Alberta. I would really like to try Freybe's if they are gluten-free and casein free.

Hey, Carriefaith, I got married at your avatar picture.
Lucky you! Banff is so beautiful!
Felidae Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your input. I will try and see if those brands are here in Alberta. I would really like to try Freybe's if they are gluten-free and casein free.

Freybe's is in Alberta. You can find it at Superstore, Safeway, Save-On Foods, Sobeys, Costco. Pretty much anywhere, but the selection varies. I'm not sure if they make hot dogs though.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I buy applegate farms at whole foods. they are organic, no nitrates, low fat and yummy

Felidae Enthusiast
I buy applegate farms at whole foods. they are organic, no nitrates, low fat and yummy

I don't hink Alberta has Whole Foods, but maybe at Planet Organic you can find Gluten-free Casein-free hotdogs.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Harvest weiners, I've been eating them all the time ever since being diagnosed. Their other products are made with gluten/flour, but I have NEVER had contamination problems.

There are some European Weiners from Freybe's/Grimms, and a few types of smokies, but Harvest is the best. Its made here in SK, but I believe they have a website you could find!

~lisa~

mopsie Newbie
I would really like to enjoy some all beef or turkey/chicken hot dogs, but every brand I try makes me sick. Unfourtunately, Maple Leaf and Butterball have both made me sick. I have looked for Oscar Myer, but I cannot find them anywhere. Does anyone know of any safe brands here in Canada? Thanks so much.

Hi,

I buy wieners by Grimm's Fine Foods. The label says "European Wieners" Labeled gluten free I think I got them at the Co-op.

2kids4me Contributor

I use Harvest brand also, the kids have never had any problems. Grimms and Freybe have all sort of sliced meat, pepperoni and smokies etc that are gluten-free (and labled as such). I tried top dog but the kids had unsettled tummies afterwards - not sure if cc or just the other ingredients. Who really knows what's in a hot dog anyway! B)

* and I am in Alberta *

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Did you find any?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm hoping to find some on my next grocery store trip :)

Green12 Enthusiast
I'm hoping to find some on my next grocery store trip :)

Good luck, I hope you are successful in your search!

beerlow77 Rookie

I use Maple Leaf Top Dog. Freybe's has good lunch meats but I haven't tried their dogs yet.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have discovered Freybe's and I have been enjoying their lunch meats. Their hot dogs are quite expensive though. Some of the hot dogs brands like Harvest have milk in them. I wish that milk and gluten didn't have to be in almost everything!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Archived