#1 Jen H

Jen H

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I've been gluten-free for about a year and would like to try drinking some white wine. I'm not sure whether there are some additives I should know about. Is all wine gluten-free? Can you suggest some gluten-free brands?

Thank you,

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

I don't know any brands who add gluten but the best way to find out is call a few companies and ask.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

I would think that most wines are gluten free. Since you have not had any wine in some time, I would start out slow. Enjoy, but slowly. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Jen H

Jen H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for your replies. I can't imagine that gluten would be added to wine, but you never know. Have you had any reactions to wine?

Thanks,
Jen

#5 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

Some people have problems with wine, but it is not gluten. I think it is the sufites? You might wan't to try an organic wine. They do not contain sulfites.

Enjoy!
Hez

#6 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

I don't know of any wines that contain gluten but if any did I might guess that it was those that had an added flavor like peach or berry. Gget a good quality bottle and enjoy a glass! Organics are great- we have a winery native to our area that makes great wines!

#7 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Some people have problems with wine, but it is not gluten. I think it is the sufites? You might wan't to try an organic wine. They do not contain sulfites.

Enjoy!
Hez

I thought grapes & wine contained natural sulfites-- remember that from another thread. Anyone know?

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#8 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

ooh... you know you might be right. Worth checking out.

#9 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

I drink Livingston Chablis, I emailed them quite awhile back and they said it was fine..sorry can't find the reply
~Betty

#10 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

I think there are naturally occuring sulfites in wine. The differences is with the organic they do not add any? Is this right?

Hez

#11 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

The only wine I found that has gluten is some Ports so don't drink those without checking them.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#12 proger

proger

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

in the beginning of my gluten-free life, i stuck with sutter home & gallo wines. i have come to learn from several different sources that all white wine is gluten free. my favorites (for at home are mondavi and vendage). but it's quite nice to go out and order a drink without hundreds of questions and special concessions to be made. i simply ask for a white wine and have had no problems. for crazier nights - i go with bacardi "o" and 7-up. but mostly stick with wine due to having less of a hangover! enjoy!

#13 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

Wow, I'm shocked about Port. I'm going to have to check on this. My boyfriend and I have had several varieties on various occasions and I haven't had a problem yet. I guess I'll have to be more vigilant in calling first.
Diagnosed July 2004

#14 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

I did some research and found out that wines wouldn't "contain" gluten, but might be filtered through grains to eliminate sediment (for white wines). Some are filtered through coal, some through grains, some through screens, but not metal, because that changes the wines aging process. The cheaper ones use grain, but even that is rare now. That might explain why SOME people get sick SOME of the time.
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#15 deannj3869@yahoo.com

deannj3869@yahoo.com

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

Hi Jen, Some wines do have gluten in them, althought if you get their phone number off the bottle and call they can usually inform you. I have been glutenfree for bout 5 years and have found some really good wine. All Barefoot wines are gluten-free.I know ladybug is gluten-free but have never been able to find it.Bonterra is an excellent gluten-free wine both red and white.These wines are not expensive so if your looking for the pricier ones cant help ya. Good luck.
DeAnn

Hi,

I've been gluten-free for about a year and would like to try drinking some white wine. I'm not sure whether there are some additives I should know about. Is all wine gluten-free? Can you suggest some gluten-free brands?

Thank you,

Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: