Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pressure Cooker Recipes?

13 posts in this topic

:) All you good cooks--I just got a new digital pressure cooker a couple of weeks ago and the recipe book is pretty much a joke. Not a lot of recipes. This model is not like the scary old-fashioned ones your mom and grandma used. It has all kinds of safety features, a built-in timer, a meat rack, and even a baking pan for cakes. I know I need to use a lot more seasoning for foods with this and I was wondering if anyone had this cooker--Cooks and Chefs digital?(I ordered from HSN) Any model recipes will work. Any recipes welcome. I already did ribs, chicken, and a roast, but I am looking for highly seasoned flavorful recipes that are gluten-free, dairy free, corn free,soy free. I can make substitutions for any that aren't. My son will only eat foods that are highly seasoned or even spicy. Also, has anyone used a pressure cooker to pressure fry?

Ads by Google:

I'm not much of a meat eater currently, but in the past we have made beef or chicken chili, beef or chicken stews, and rouladen (German bacon and pickle stuffed beef basically). You can make any kind of meat in it much quicker than the usual method of cooking. I'll have to dig up some recipes for you. It might be a week or so, since I'm going out of town.

:) All you good cooks--I just got a new digital pressure cooker a couple of weeks ago and the recipe book is pretty much a joke. Not a lot of recipes. This model is not like the scary old-fashioned ones your mom and grandma used. It has all kinds of safety features, a built-in timer, a meat rack, and even a baking pan for cakes. I know I need to use a lot more seasoning for foods with this and I was wondering if anyone had this cooker--Cooks and Chefs digital?(I ordered from HSN) Any model recipes will work. Any recipes welcome. I already did ribs, chicken, and a roast, but I am looking for highly seasoned flavorful recipes that are gluten-free, dairy free, corn free,soy free. I can make substitutions for any that aren't. My son will only eat foods that are highly seasoned or even spicy. Also, has anyone used a pressure cooker to pressure fry?

Try this link for pressure cooker recipes at Recipezaar (not necessarily gluten-free): Pressure Cooker Recipes

Also if you google "pressure cooker recipes" quite a few links come up.

Even though they are updated from what they used to be, they still scare me a little. I'm affraid they are going to explode :lol: I love the taste of millet cooked in the pressure cooker, I haven't really tried anything else yet.

Enjoy your pressure cooker!

I have to say, my favorite food in the pressure cooker is still fresh green beans with onions and red potatoes. Don't have a recipe per se...just go about 2 or 3 minutes from when the steam starts firing! I like some of these recipes too: http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pressurecooking/index.php

:) All you good cooks--I just got a new digital pressure cooker a couple of weeks ago and the recipe book is

I've been using The Pressure Cooker Gourmet by Victoria Wise. I think you can still get this from Amazon if your local bookseller doesn't carry it.

Also, I've read that Indian cooks have adapted traditional curry recipes to the pressure cooker, but I haven't been brave enough to try this on my own and haven't managed to come up with receipes either.

I'm so glad to hear that other people use pressure cookers. I am 37 and no one my age uses one. I grew up using one. I love it. I use mine for sloppy joes, spaghetti, stew, swiss steak, beef strognoff, corn on cob, green beans to name a few.

If you are interested, let me know for any of the recipes.

Have a good day!!

LyndaK

:) Thanks everyone--I will get the cookbook! Also thanks for the links. I 'm a little older (45) but, no one around my age here uses one either. It is a pity, because they are such a timesaver. I have to admit, though, even with the safety features, I still say to everyone-just like my mom did-stay away from the kitchen when the pressure cooker is on!! I always was sooo scared of the thing my mom had when I was a kid and imagined it blowing up the kitchen and killing us all :blink:

:) Thanks everyone--I will get the cookbook! Also thanks for the links. I 'm a little older (45) but, no one around my age here uses one either. It is a pity, because they are such a timesaver. I have to admit, though, even with the safety features, I still say to everyone-just like my mom did-stay away from the kitchen when the pressure cooker is on!! I always was sooo scared of the thing my mom had when I was a kid and imagined it blowing up the kitchen and killing us all :blink:

I had a delicious meal years ago. She put some pesto in the beef with it. It was so tender. She said she used this pesto with all the meat she put in it. She had a family member send her this special pesto. I plan to use my cooker and crock pot this winter. I eat alot of salads, fruits and veggies in the summer. LL

Pressure cookers are fairly safe. I have used one for years (I'm 31), so has my mom and sister. When they get clogged you would know it, and they have the safety valves now. They just blow out the rubber safety valve and release pressure instantly.

As for recipes, most veggies are 2-4 minutes after the steam starts releasing. I make stew, pork chops, rice and tons of things in it. The stew and pork chops are simple. I season with gluten free onion soup mix. Brown the meat then cook for 20 minutes after the steam starts to blow. For the stew, when the meat is done cooking, release the steam open it up and add the veggies, potatoes etc. and then cook another 8-10 minutes. For the pork chops after it cooks take them out of the pan and use the juices left over to make rice, add parsley and you have a home made gluten free rice-a-roni. (I use instant rice and just boil it in the pan).

Thanks for the idea with the pesto, lindalee. I will try beef with pesto -I have tons of basil this year-good use for it.

Laurie-I am so glad you posted the veggie time-the little booklet that came with my pressure cooker didn't give any time table for veggies and I keep over-cooking them!

I love the convenience of this appliance-I have been doing whole chickens and making a big bowl of chicken salad once a week. On really hot days after working outside in the yard it is so nice to have a ready made meal of chicken salad sandwiches or salad stuffed tomatoes. I just make a fruit to go with it and it is a great lunch. (I add chips too of course :) gotta have all our treats we can, right? )

Hi, I am kind of new to this. But if your son will eat Indian food there are tons of high flavor, spicy foods you can cook in under 10 to 15 minsl. in a pressure cooker. I have a very basic stainless steel cooker so can give you some easy recipes.

First, I keep the basic "gravy" cooked in the freezer all the time for most of Indian cooking. I mince 5 lbs of onions and brown them. Then I add 3-4 tomatoes, 4-5 cloves of garlic, and 2-3 inches of ginger minced to the pan. I also add 2-3 tbls tomato paste. Cook this till it all turns a dark red in color. You'll need to add a couple of tbls of oil for this. I then cool and freeze it in ice cube trays.

Then, when time to cook. I just grab a couple of these and use.

For example, to make chicken, I generally make drumsticks. But if you use boneless that will work as well. Add about 4-5 cubes of the above mixtures, throw in 5 to 6 durmsticks, add salt, red pepper, and a tbls of "garam masala" ( you can get this at any Indian store or even the International isle in grocery stores). Add a 2-3 cups of water, close and once the pressure starts cook for another 5-7 minutes.

You can cook beans and lentils the same way. But soak the beans overnight in water first. Or the cook time will have to be incresed to 20-30 minutes. Throw in browned beef or turkey with some veggies and you have chilli.

You could cook goat or lamb the exact same way, cubed ofcourse.

Play with the amount of water and spices to adjust to your taste.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the idea with the pesto, lindalee. I will try beef with pesto -I have tons of basil this year-good use for it.

Laurie-I am so glad you posted the veggie time-the little booklet that came with my pressure cooker didn't give any time table for veggies and I keep over-cooking them!

I love the convenience of this appliance-I have been doing whole chickens and making a big bowl of chicken salad once a week. On really hot days after working outside in the yard it is so nice to have a ready made meal of chicken salad sandwiches or salad stuffed tomatoes. I just make a fruit to go with it and it is a great lunch. (I add chips too of course :) gotta have all our treats we can, right? )

Robin, She had her pesto in a small container in the frig. Great idea about making the pesto. I have a container of basil on the deck. If you have a good recipe maybe I'll get into making that! She put about a tablespoon in the meat and it was heaven :) . My cooker was my mom's so I will admit I stand back when it is working. :lol: What type of flour do you use? I haven't bought any of that yet. Thanks, LL

Hi Lee-I use rice flour mostly for recipes. Sometimes tapioca flour. Hey, thanks for the ideas. I haven't tried the pesto beef yet, but will. I will try the gravy too-ds is so hard to please. He puts hot sauce on everything.