This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Annalise Roberts' Coconut Cake

Fiddle-Faddle

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks Julie.

I actually went to Target 1 week or so ago. I bought a whole bunch of stuff but didn't see the pans. I'll check them out online.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheri A Contributor

I actually found a set of loaf pans in between the regular size and the minis at my grocery store. It was the good chef brand.

penguin Community Regular

Annalise Roberts is my hero!!! I went out and bought the book. I am a good baker again!!! :D:D:D

• 1 month later...
Cheri A Contributor

For the Analise Roberts fans out there, what brands of brown rice flour do you get? Where do you get it?

All I have seen around here is BRM.

queenofhearts Explorer
For the Analise Roberts fans out there, what brands of brown rice flour do you get? Where do you get it?

All I have seen around here is BRM.

Authentic Foods has the only brown rice flour I've tried & liked, but it costs a fortune. I ordered from their website; might be cheaper on Amazon. I have subbed white rice flour from the Asian market for brown though & it works but is not quite as flavorful. (Nor as healthy of course.) The brown rice flour at my local store is distinctly grainy & makes a much less palatable product if the recipe is simple. If there are lots of texture-ful things in there, it's not so noticeable.

Leah

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I also sub in bob's red mill white rice flour. I don't have the $ to spend to special order flours like that. I love how things turn out with the white rice.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I use the Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour that she reccommends, but I'm lucky enough to have a local mainstream store carry it. Sure, it's like $9 for a 3lb bag, but it's so worth it, and I'm cheap :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer
I use the Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour that she reccommends, but I'm lucky enough to have a local mainstream store carry it. Sure, it's like $9 for a 3lb bag, but it's so worth it, and I'm cheap :rolleyes:

That's incredible that a mainstream store stocks it! Which one?

That's incredible that a mainstream store stocks it! Which one?

It's called HEB (A central Texas thing) and this particular location carries a lot of gluten-free stuff, and I think most of Authentic Foods' product line. I can think of two reasons 1: a proactive celiac or two, but I don't know which ones live up here 2: It's the closest grocery store to the culinary academy and so they carry more gourmet type stuff (though honestly, I see more of the students in Wal Mart :lol: )

queenofhearts Explorer

I remember HEB from back in the day (used to live in Austin)... actually I remember that the owner was named Harry Butt & my brother & I found that endlessly amusing... unless that was just an elementary school myth?

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I remember HEB from back in the day (used to live in Austin)... actually I remember that the owner was named Harry Butt & my brother & I found that endlessly amusing... unless that was just an elementary school myth?

Harry Butt :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, it was Howard Butt...and then someone else in the family, a daughter I guess, has a hyphenated last name...Butt Crook...

queenofhearts Explorer

Oh my goodness!

I just remembered the Ima Hogg thing too... is that a myth as well?

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Actually, it was Howard Butt...and then someone else in the family, a daughter I guess, has a hyphenated last name...Butt Crook...

OMG, her last name's BUTT and she not only keeps it, but HYPHENATES it....and it sounds way too close to...you know....

ha ha ha ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

queenofhearts Explorer

Really, you'd think she'd be oh so happy to lose that name!

OMG, her last name's BUTT and she not only keeps it, but HYPHENATES it....and it sounds way too close to...you know....

ha ha ha ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

But when you have that much money, who cares what your name is? :P

DingoGirl Enthusiast

note the rapid devolvement in this thread.....so sorry... :ph34r::lol::lol: haven't read the whole thing, am excited about the cake and want to try this I promise (have not done one shred of baking since dx) :P

But when you have that much money, who cares what your name is? :P

I know... like another Texan, Ima Hogg, who really existed....

but...Butt-Krook.....ha ha :P

Cheri A Contributor

ROFLMBO @ the names!

I looked at the flour@ Amazon and choked on my cofee with the price! :blink: I am going to try it with my beloved sorghum flour and see how that comes out first.

Marianne M Newbie
I just made her lemon coconut muffins. I subbed orange peel for the lemon peel and they still turned out great! This cookbook has lots of great looking recipes and I can't wait to try them.

Buy the cookbook. It's well worth the price. Annalise Roberts answered my questions promptly also. To me, someone who takes the time to communicate with those who have bought the book or are contemplating it, is much to be appreciated.....ssssoooo buy the cookbook. ;) She does use butter in a lot of recipes so if you are soy and dairy allergic/intolerant and don't have a suitable substitute than that would be the only reason I would question getting it. Shortening could probably be subbed for butter though.

I just wanted to chime in about this cookbook. I just joined the board yesterday, but I've had this cookbook about 6 months, and it's the best one I have. I have taken the coconut cake as cupcakes to several gatherings, and they've been devoured!! Everyone raves about them, and people have no idea there's anything different about them. The brownies are great too. I would encourage everyone to buy the book, both because the recipes are so good, and because the author has been so gracious!

Archived