This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Cant Stand Up

Lister

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Lister I picked up a Planters nut mix and called the company. They should be gluten-free unless a forbidden ingredient is listed. Gotta run hope your day was good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Lister--If you want roasted almonds, Fisher is gluten-free. I called the company a while back, and was told that they don't use flours or glutens of any kind in their processing. For a raw almond (my preference), I like Diamond. (Different from Blue Diamond). When I can find them, nuts in the shell are best :)

penguin Community Regular

Blue Diamond also makes natural whole almonds that are gluten-free

jerseyangel Proficient
Blue Diamond also makes natural whole almonds that are gluten-free

Good to know! I had not checked on those, now, I don't have to :D

Lisa Mentor

Living in North Carolina we have peanuts everywhere.

Contact Jimbo Jumbo's, in Edenton, North Carolina as they have a very extensive mail order business.

If you have some of their peanuts, you will NEVER eat Planters again!!!!!

LEt me know if you want to order some.

Lisa

Camille'sBigSister Newbie

Lister, you sound very young, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever taught you how to make a tuna salad, or simply to boil eggs, for that matter. Deviled eggs are delicious, and easy to make. Do you know how to do these things?

Cissie

Lister Rising Star

im not a egg person unless its scrambed but i can probably get used to hardboiled eggs and no i dont know how to hardboil

are the thikitchen noodles to procsessed? i just found them today at the store for 68c a pack and i figure they could make a easy addition to a dinner or lunch9that is if they dont have cc issues). i dont even know what lentals or flax is.. hehe

i sound very young ouch that hurts :( im not that young im 21 so i meen to a 80 year old yes im very young but to most im just young

oh i picked up a bunch of those del monte fruit cups, are these all gluten free for sure? they all have 'natural flavorings" and also they have a juice they are in so i was not positive but i got them anyways (40 minute walk was not gonna leave empty handed)

lol i guess i am very young, i just read one of your posts, wow i feel like a fool

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

lister,

why not focus on whole foods for awhile (IE not more than the ingredient being itself). instead of noodles, and stuff like that. you NEED nutrients!

hardboiling eggs is easy. do you have a pot and a burner? that's all you need... pop the eggs in and boil for about 9 minutes.

you can also do a lot of things with tofu.

lentils are a legume - you can buy dried legumes and boil them. they would be excellent for you.

flax is a seed, a haven of nutrition. filled with omega 3 fatty acids, they are very good to add to your diet. your bod cannot make omega 3s by itself - you get them from food.

what about other canned fish? sardines/tuna/salmon... that's quick and easy.

Green12 Enthusiast

Lister, I am really proud of you for hanging in here! I think everyone has given you some great suggestions on what to lay off of and what you need to add in.

I agree about needing more protein, fruits, and veggies- less junk. I know it can get expensive but things like turkey meat, canned tuna, eggs, baby carrots, some other fresh veggies and fruits shouldn't put you back that much more than what you were putting out for the packaged stuff.

Can you do avocadoes? I like to make "sandwiches" out of lettuce leaves, turkey meat, sliced avocadoes, and you can put your sliced tomatoes in there too. Then I just roll it up like a burrito. You don't even need bread.

You can make tuna salad with gluten-free mayo (if you can handle the mayo) and make a "cup" out of a tomato, scoop a little of the center out and fill it full with the tuna salad.

I agree about the hard boiled eggs, Mango suggested. You can boil a bunch ahead of time and grab one or two in the morning to take to work- easy breezy protein source for you.

Lister Rising Star

well crap, they only pot i got has a 10 inch layer of mold and a colonly of bugs in it.... i guess my girlfriend made rice and did not throw it away and we all forgot about it because it had a lid on it ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i think i got another pot laying around though, will have to wait tell tomorrow to get eggs though

As for turky meat what brands are safe?

i usualy just do chicken because i know tysen is safe

as for canned fish, unfortunatly no matter how hard i try i just cant eat seafood, it makes me gag the second it gets near my nose. i hate it, not the taste but the smell thats what gets to me. even tuna i cant stand :( or else i would just eat tuna alot since its cheap(as i am cheap) ok so i think i planned my meals for tomorrow does this sound atleast improved

breakfast

banana+apple slices+small bowl of gluten free cereal(its up in cupboard i need to atleast finish it before it goes bad)(no milk though as i am out of my almond milk)+maybe enjoy life bar(those probably wont go bad so i could save them for another week or month

lunch

left over pork+del monte manderan orange cup+salad(carrots+cucumbers)+maybe 1 cookie

snacks thruout the day

acually i think im out of snack food so that will not be a issue

dinner-

either more pork(if there is some left) or a chicken breast + salad(carrots+cucumbers) green pepper(diced iwth chicken) del monte peach cup

im slowly working on improving as most the good ideas get posted after i already have came back from the store for the day

Mango04 Enthusiast

What kind of gluten-free cereal are you eating in the morning? Is it sugary? I only ask because between the cereal and the enjoy life bar and the cookie (and all that fruit), you're getting a lot of sugar. I'm not saying fruit is bad...you just might need to balance it with some protein (this is where almond butter is really handy).

You should definitely consider adding protein to your breakfast. If I just had fruit and cereal I would feel sick, because that wouldn't be balanced enough for me. Since we don't know exactly what your problem is, I'm just trying to throw out any and all ideas. You don't need to stick to breakfast food for breakfast either. You can eat a few bites of pork or chicken in the morning.

Are beans definitely out of the question for you? That would be a great cheap source of protien. If you can't do beans, you might want to explore the lentil idea. They are easier to digest than beans, for me anyway (unless you have some sort of legume intolerance or something)

Another idea for you might be quinoa. You cook it just like rice and it's a complete protein on its own.

Other than that, I think you're meal ideas are definitely improving :)

Lister Rising Star

oh and as for flax seeds what do u do with them/ what do they look like so i can find them

i just won the lottery today so im going grocery shoping tomorrow again w00t $3 doller ticket= $100 doller winnder w00t

yeah its sugary- its gorilla munch from envirokids so yeay i guess i need to get some protein in my breakfast.. is that what the eggs do? what if i was to scramble eggs one night and then bring in a ziplock to work the next day? or do they not keep? as for beans i meen i can eat them but most dont digest at all and i meen at all

the doctor says my "problem" is that i am healing, i say bs healing dont feel like crap everyday but whatever i give another 3 months of this crap and if still not more improvments im gonna stick my foot up the guys bum hole

Green12 Enthusiast
well crap, they only pot i got has a 10 inch layer of mold and a colonly of bugs in it.... i guess my girlfriend made rice and did not throw it away and we all forgot about it because it had a lid on it ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i think i got another pot laying around though, will have to wait tell tomorrow to get eggs though

As for turky meat what brands are safe?

i usualy just do chicken because i know tysen is safe

as for canned fish, unfortunatly no matter how hard i try i just cant eat seafood, it makes me gag the second it gets near my nose. i hate it, not the taste but the smell thats what gets to me. even tuna i cant stand :( or else i would just eat tuna alot since its cheap(as i am cheap) ok so i think i planned my meals for tomorrow does this sound atleast improved

breakfast

banana+apple slices+small bowl of gluten free cereal(its up in cupboard i need to atleast finish it before it goes bad)(no milk though as i am out of my almond milk)+maybe enjoy life bar(those probably wont go bad so i could save them for another week or month

lunch

left over pork+del monte manderan orange cup+salad(carrots+cucumbers)+maybe 1 cookie

snacks thruout the day

acually i think im out of snack food so that will not be a issue

dinner-

either more pork(if there is some left) or a chicken breast + salad(carrots+cucumbers) green pepper(diced iwth chicken) del monte peach cup

im slowly working on improving as most the good ideas get posted after i already have came back from the store for the day

I get my turkey at Wild Oats, maybe some of the others will know what brands are gluten-free at main stream grocery stores. I do know that Applegate Farms has a packaged turkey meat, but I think it is only at health food stores.

To hard boil eggs is easy, everybody has their own recipe/method, but here is mine:

Put your eggs in a pot and cover with water, place on burner at med high heat and bring to a rapid boil, set timer for 5 minutes and boil for 5 minutes, turn off burner, cover pot with lid and let sit until cool.

If you don't like tuna you can do egg salad, just peel and dice eggs and add a little mayo to coat and put in your tomato cup, eat with some baby carrots and a little fruit and you have yourself a meal.

lorka150 Collaborator
oh and as for flax seeds what do u do with them/ what do they look like so i can find them

yeah its sugary- its gorilla munch from envirokids so yeay i guess i need to get some protein in my breakfast.. is that what the eggs do? what if i was to scramble eggs one night and then bring in a ziplock to work the next day? or do they not keep? as for beans i meen i can eat them but most dont digest at all and i meen at all

lister- flax seeds are available in a variety of ways, but unless you have a grinder, make sure you get flax meal. or ground flax seeds. bob's red mill makes the one that i peraonlly buy.

what about nature's path mesa sunrise? since you like gorilla munch (same company), perhaps you can mix the two for a healthier fix... i do that but with panda puffs.

eggs are full of protein.

since you mentioned you like scrambelled eggs, yes, i was going to suggest making them to take with you. they will keep. you can add peppers, herbs, mushrooms to them for flavour.

sometimes people have trouble 'adjusting' to beans. try less gassy legumes at first, like lentils.

is your pan teflon? did you use it before gluten free? if so, perhaps you should get another. that might be causing a problem.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Here's some info on flax:

Open Original Shared Link

You can always sprinkle it on your salads.

I don't know about how long scrambled eggs keep. Sometimes I make them in the morning and put them in a corn tortilla and wrap it all up in tin foil to bring to work. Or - I mix egg with veggies and bake the mixture in muffin tins and freeze for later. But yeah - the eggs will add the protein you need to your breakfast. Hard boiled eggs are especially easy to make and keep in the fridge for later.

Lister Rising Star

nope, i already went thru all my dishs and got new sets for my birthday :) all stainless steal

oh for hardboiled eggs(since im going to atleast try one) how do u eat them? do u eat the shell also since is boiled? or remove first, also do u eat the yellow thing in the middle? as for bob red mill i thought that company has a large history of cc issisue? wo i have no clue how to spell that word issususe i give up lol

so are the del monte even with the syrp gluten free? was gonna have a cup with my dinner tonight sounds gooood

also are salt/pepper indavidual packets gluten free? or are they usualy sealed with a gluten containing gum/glue? because if not i have free salt for my eggs at work

wow flax sounds really really good for you, i cant wait to add it to my diet... hope i can stand yogurt soon i bet it would go great

Green12 Enthusiast
Here's some info on flax:

You can always sprinkle it on your salads.

I don't know about how long scrambled eggs keep. Sometimes I make them in the morning and put them in a corn tortilla and wrap it all up in tin foil to bring to work. Or - I mix egg with veggies and bake the mixture in muffin tins and freeze for later. But yeah - the eggs will add the protein you need to your breakfast. Hard boiled eggs are especially easy to make and keep in the fridge for later.

I was going to say I don't know either on how long scramble eggs will keep, do you have a fridge provided for you at work to keep them cool until you do eat them, and a microwave to heat them up?

You can also make mini frittatas, I can't remember if you cook that much? You take 8-10 eggs in a large bowl, add 1/2 c. rice milk or almond milk and beat together with a whisk, pour into mini muffin cups (about half way full), then into each cup you can add a little cubed ham, or crumbled crisply cooked turkey bacon, diced bell peppers, etc- whatever you like. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8-10 minutes or until they puff up and look cooked. This should make about 40 little frittatas each batch, you can make several batches and freeze them. Then just take 3 or 4 with you to work and heat up.

You peel the hard boiled egg, when they are cool enough to handle just tap it on the counter all around every side, this should shatter the shell into little cracks, and then start peeling until you get it all off. I usually run it under the sink faucet after to make sure all the shell if off. The yellow part is called the yolk, and yes you eat that. It's the best part imo.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Peel your eggs. You can eat the yolk (the yellow thing). I eat Bob's Red Mill flaxmeal with no issues (note the spelling LOL). If you're uncomfortable with it though you can buy a different brand.

I think the salt and pepper should be okay.

I was going to say I don't know either on how long scramble eggs will keep, do you have a fridge provided for you at work to keep them cool until you do eat them, and a microwave to heat them up?

You can also make mini frittatas, I can't remember if you cook that much? You take 8-10 eggs in a large bowl, add 1/2 c. rice milk or almond milk and beat together with a whisk, pour into mini muffin cups (about half way full), then into each cup you can add a little cubed ham, or crumbled crisply cooked turkey bacon, diced bell peppers, etc- whatever you like. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8-10 minutes or until they puff up and look cooked. This should make about 40 little frittatas each batch, you can make several batches and freeze them. Thne just take 3 or 4 with you to work and heat up.

Oh ya Julie you're the one who posted this a while back so I tried it and it was so good! I used egg, tomato, canadian bacon, a tiny bit of green onion and sea salt (if I remember correctly). I didn't have mini muffin pans so I used regular ones and it worked great :)

Green12 Enthusiast
Oh ya Julie you're the one who posted this a while back so I tried it and it was so good! I used egg, tomato, canadian bacon, a tiny bit of green onion and sea salt (if I remember correctly). I didn't have mini muffin pans so I used regular ones and it worked great :)

Oh, good Mango :) Aren't they yummy? And so versatile. You can add whatever you want to them.

Lister, I forgot, you can add about 1/4 tsp salt to each batch and a little pepper if you like too, if you do try to make these. And you should spray the muffin tins with a little cooking spary so they won't stick. Make sure you find a gluten-free can.

Lister Rising Star

anyone know about the syrp in the fruit cups? about to eat my dinner and was gonna eat one

Green12 Enthusiast
anyone know about the syrp in the fruit cups? about to eat my dinner and was gonna eat one

I don't know Lister, sorry I can't help you out on this one. Maybe someone else will know :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Here's from the website:

Q: Which Del Monte products are gluten-free?

A: Del Monte Gluten-Free Products

Please note: The list below includes products that, to the best of our knowledge, do not contain wheat, oats, rye or barley/malt ingredients. The list may change or not be complete due to formula changes or new product introductions. Please read the ingredient statement on the label for the most current information.

Del Monte Gluten-Free Products

Canned/Jarred Fruits

Fruit Snack Cups (Metal and Plastic)

Canned Vegetables (except Del Monte Savory Sides Green Bean Casserole) Tomatoes & Tomato Products (except Spaghetti Sauce Flavored with Meat)

100% Fruit Juices

Lister Rising Star

The list may change or not be complete due to formula changes or new product introductions. Please read the ingredient statement on the label for the most current information.

i hate that response from manufacturers lol. the only questionable item is "natural flavorings" but im going to asume its natural from the fruit

penguin Community Regular
The list may change or not be complete due to formula changes or new product introductions. Please read the ingredient statement on the label for the most current information.

i hate that response from manufacturers lol. the only questionable item is "natural flavorings" but im going to asume its natural from the fruit

Del Monte is a good company like Kraft. Go for it. I've eaten all kinds of Del Monte stuff without problems.

Lister Rising Star

ugh, my stomic is doing the wierd twiching/poping why.... i know i did not get glutend so ihave no clue :(

Archived