This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rash On Scalp

CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

I used to get a rash on my scalp near my forehead, and once I eliminated gluten, it went away. It would get aggravated when I was using a shampoo and conditioner with wheat, but when I changed hair products, I didn't have a problem.

I got glutened last week, and a few days later the rash came back, and much worse than it ever was before. It's flesh colored in spots, red in spots, and it itches like poison ivy (but it's not). It's mostly on my scalp, but also comes down on my forehead just a little by my hairline. What do you think this is? I've read many of the old posts on dh, psoriasis, etc., and I just don't know. If it sounds like dh, and I'm gluten-free anyway, is there any need to go to a dermatologist? I've been hesitant to set up and appt. because I figure by the time I get in, it will be gone, besides, I just don't trust doctors.

I also have one sore on my lipline, one inside my mouth, and one on my upper lip, but I don't know if they're related to the rash.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Carla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Carla,

I have a rash on my thigh that still hasn't gone away. From what I understand they are triggered by allergies whether it be food or environmental. Did you eat anything different the last few days that could be an allergic flare up?

Ursa Major Collaborator

Carla, when I get glutened I get all kinds of rashes, and that one sounds familiar. I doubt that there is a need to see a dermatologist. It might help to use an eczema cream from the health food store. I use one called 'Execalm', and it really helps when I get those outbreaks. It helps with the itching and burning, and makes it heal faster.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla,

I have a rash on my thigh that still hasn't gone away. From what I understand they are triggered by allergies whether it be food or environmental. Did you eat anything different the last few days that could be an allergic flare up?

No, but I got glutened a week ago last Sunday and it showed up a little after that. Since I break out in rashes from topical wheat, I suspect a secondary wheat allergy, though I've never had any problems with respiratory reactions from it.

Carla, when I get glutened I get all kinds of rashes, and that one sounds familiar. I doubt that there is a need to see a dermatologist. It might help to use an eczema cream from the health food store. I use one called 'Execalm', and it really helps when I get those outbreaks. It helps with the itching and burning, and makes it heal faster.

Thank you, I'll try it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Educator

I have had it for years in my hairline and even a couple of inches into the hair. I was told they were nerve burns from stress. I was diagnosed yesterday by biopsy and it is definitely DH. Still working on this one myself so can't offer any assistance. Take Care!!

FrostyFriday Rookie
I used to get a rash on my scalp near my forehead, and once I eliminated gluten, it went away. It would get aggravated when I was using a shampoo and conditioner with wheat, but when I changed hair products, I didn't have a problem.

I got glutened last week, and a few days later the rash came back, and much worse than it ever was before. It's flesh colored in spots, red in spots, and it itches like poison ivy (but it's not). It's mostly on my scalp, but also comes down on my forehead just a little by my hairline. What do you think this is? I've read many of the old posts on dh, psoriasis, etc., and I just don't know. If it sounds like dh, and I'm gluten-free anyway, is there any need to go to a dermatologist? I've been hesitant to set up and appt. because I figure by the time I get in, it will be gone, besides, I just don't trust doctors.

I also have one sore on my lipline, one inside my mouth, and one on my upper lip, but I don't know if they're related to the rash.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Carla

What kind of shampoo do you use? I was told to use baby shampoo and clear soap but I still have itchy scalp and skin, especially on the tops of my arms. I usually have sores in my mouth as well and have been trying to be gluten free for the past six years.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I have had it for years in my hairline and even a couple of inches into the hair. I was told they were nerve burns from stress. I was diagnosed yesterday by biopsy and it is definitely DH. Still working on this one myself so can't offer any assistance. Take Care!!

That sounds like mine. Bumps or blisters (look kind of like a big pimple with no whitehead), tender to the touch, itchy, a couple inches into the scalp from the hairline. In addition to the bigger bumps, there is a rash as well. Doesn't seem related to stress at all. Thanks for posting, that's interesting.

What kind of shampoo do you use? I was told to use baby shampoo and clear soap but I still have itchy scalp and skin, especially on the tops of my arms. I usually have sores in my mouth as well and have been trying to be gluten free for the past six years.

I use gluten-free shampoo and conditioner -- Alterna Caviar. I can't use baby shampoo because it's too drying. My hair is already dry enough! <_<

Try pure coconut oil on your skin ... it's gluten-free and makes it really soft! Thanks for your suggestion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

This intrigues me too, I would get a rash when I was much younger all over my scalp. I never knew what it was. Is it possible to just have DH in an isolated area, or is it usually an all over thing??

Just curious.

lindalee Enthusiast

I went through that a few months ago and switched to a shampoo with no sodium laurel sulfates. I was totally dreading the shampoo thing until I switched. I went to the grocery store and bought Avalon Organics-tea tree mint treatment. It is the only one I saw without SLS. Now I am dealing with the itchy ear occasionally. When I used the other shampoo, I used to clean my ears with it. BIG mistake. my ears still itch a little. I think some may still be in there. Unless someone else know what it is. Carla, I am sure there are other brands out there but this took my rash and itching symptoms away. My hair is not as dry without the sls's. It is in soaps,toothpaste, etc. Hope this helps! LindaLee

CarlaB Enthusiast
I went through that a few months ago and switched to a shampoo with no sodium laurel sulfates. I was totally dreading the shampoo thing until I switched. I went to the grocery store and bought Avalon Organics-tea tree mint treatment. It is the only one I saw without SLS. Now I am dealing with the itchy ear occasionally. When I used the other shampoo, I used to clean my ears with it. BIG mistake. my ears still itch a little. I think some may still be in there. Unless someone else know what it is. Carla, I am sure there are other brands out there but this took my rash and itching symptoms away. My hair is not as dry without the sls's. It is in soaps,toothpaste, etc. Hope this helps! LindaLee

Mine has no sodium laurel sulfates, says so right on the front of the bottle!! I checked when you mentioned this on another thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be connected to wheat, I get it with wheat shampoos, or if I eat wheat. I'll be glad when I'm gluten-free for long enough that I stop getting this!!!

lindalee Enthusiast
Mine has no sodium laurel sulfates, says so right on the front of the bottle!! I checked when you mentioned this on another thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be connected to wheat, I get it with wheat shampoos, or if I eat wheat. I'll be glad when I'm gluten-free for long enough that I stop getting this!!!

The oil of oregano took away the itching when I had the problem. I think I'll take some tonight for the ear. I just put a drop in water. I don't know, you could try that or a different shampoo. LL

CarlaB Enthusiast
The oil of oregano took away the itching when I had the problem. I think I'll take some tonight for the ear. I just put a drop in water. I don't know, you could try that or a different shampoo. LL

It's taken three weeks, but this rash is not just little red marks that will take forever to go away. I still have a little bit of the rashy bumps on my scalp, but the blister part is finally gone.

I might try the oil of oregano next time thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try it if there is a next time!! ... I used some hydrocortizone cream this time and it helped a lot with the itching. Looked great in my hair, too, made it look nice and greasy :blink:

I really don't think it's the shampoo as the ones I had before went away when I switched to this shampoo (my old shampoo had wheat).

grannynanny Rookie

Carla,

I, too, get a red patch near my hairline. I don't think it has anything to do with the shampoos I use. I think it shows up when (periodically) I get glutened. It just goes away with a little time. Had never heard of Execalm, but think I'll try it.

sspitzer5 Apprentice
That sounds like mine. Bumps or blisters (look kind of like a big pimple with no whitehead), tender to the touch, itchy, a couple inches into the scalp from the hairline. In addition to the bigger bumps, there is a rash as well.

I get these bigger bumps too. They're red and sore and more like a little cyst. I don't think I have a rash, however, my scalp is itchy. Weird thing is it got a lot worse when I switched to Dove shampoo and conditioner, which I thought were gluten free???

S

Archived