13 replies to this topic

#1 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

I used to get a rash on my scalp near my forehead, and once I eliminated gluten, it went away. It would get aggravated when I was using a shampoo and conditioner with wheat, but when I changed hair products, I didn't have a problem.

I got glutened last week, and a few days later the rash came back, and much worse than it ever was before. It's flesh colored in spots, red in spots, and it itches like poison ivy (but it's not). It's mostly on my scalp, but also comes down on my forehead just a little by my hairline. What do you think this is? I've read many of the old posts on dh, psoriasis, etc., and I just don't know. If it sounds like dh, and I'm gluten-free anyway, is there any need to go to a dermatologist? I've been hesitant to set up and appt. because I figure by the time I get in, it will be gone, besides, I just don't trust doctors.

I also have one sore on my lipline, one inside my mouth, and one on my upper lip, but I don't know if they're related to the rash.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Carla
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Carla,

I have a rash on my thigh that still hasn't gone away. From what I understand they are triggered by allergies whether it be food or environmental. Did you eat anything different the last few days that could be an allergic flare up?

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Carla, when I get glutened I get all kinds of rashes, and that one sounds familiar. I doubt that there is a need to see a dermatologist. It might help to use an eczema cream from the health food store. I use one called 'Execalm', and it really helps when I get those outbreaks. It helps with the itching and burning, and makes it heal faster.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Carla,

I have a rash on my thigh that still hasn't gone away. From what I understand they are triggered by allergies whether it be food or environmental. Did you eat anything different the last few days that could be an allergic flare up?

No, but I got glutened a week ago last Sunday and it showed up a little after that. Since I break out in rashes from topical wheat, I suspect a secondary wheat allergy, though I've never had any problems with respiratory reactions from it.

Carla, when I get glutened I get all kinds of rashes, and that one sounds familiar. I doubt that there is a need to see a dermatologist. It might help to use an eczema cream from the health food store. I use one called 'Execalm', and it really helps when I get those outbreaks. It helps with the itching and burning, and makes it heal faster.

Thank you, I'll try it.
gluten-free 12/05

#5 Guest_Educator_*

Guest_Educator_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:36 AM

I have had it for years in my hairline and even a couple of inches into the hair. I was told they were nerve burns from stress. I was diagnosed yesterday by biopsy and it is definitely DH. Still working on this one myself so can't offer any assistance. Take Care!!

#6 FrostyFriday

FrostyFriday

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

I used to get a rash on my scalp near my forehead, and once I eliminated gluten, it went away. It would get aggravated when I was using a shampoo and conditioner with wheat, but when I changed hair products, I didn't have a problem.

I got glutened last week, and a few days later the rash came back, and much worse than it ever was before. It's flesh colored in spots, red in spots, and it itches like poison ivy (but it's not). It's mostly on my scalp, but also comes down on my forehead just a little by my hairline. What do you think this is? I've read many of the old posts on dh, psoriasis, etc., and I just don't know. If it sounds like dh, and I'm gluten-free anyway, is there any need to go to a dermatologist? I've been hesitant to set up and appt. because I figure by the time I get in, it will be gone, besides, I just don't trust doctors.

I also have one sore on my lipline, one inside my mouth, and one on my upper lip, but I don't know if they're related to the rash.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Carla

What kind of shampoo do you use? I was told to use baby shampoo and clear soap but I still have itchy scalp and skin, especially on the tops of my arms. I usually have sores in my mouth as well and have been trying to be gluten free for the past six years.

#7 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

I have had it for years in my hairline and even a couple of inches into the hair. I was told they were nerve burns from stress. I was diagnosed yesterday by biopsy and it is definitely DH. Still working on this one myself so can't offer any assistance. Take Care!!

That sounds like mine. Bumps or blisters (look kind of like a big pimple with no whitehead), tender to the touch, itchy, a couple inches into the scalp from the hairline. In addition to the bigger bumps, there is a rash as well. Doesn't seem related to stress at all. Thanks for posting, that's interesting.

What kind of shampoo do you use? I was told to use baby shampoo and clear soap but I still have itchy scalp and skin, especially on the tops of my arms. I usually have sores in my mouth as well and have been trying to be gluten free for the past six years.

I use gluten-free shampoo and conditioner -- Alterna Caviar. I can't use baby shampoo because it's too drying. My hair is already dry enough! <_<

Try pure coconut oil on your skin ... it's gluten-free and makes it really soft! Thanks for your suggestion.
gluten-free 12/05

#8 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

This intrigues me too, I would get a rash when I was much younger all over my scalp. I never knew what it was. Is it possible to just have DH in an isolated area, or is it usually an all over thing??

Just curious.

#9 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

I went through that a few months ago and switched to a shampoo with no sodium laurel sulfates. I was totally dreading the shampoo thing until I switched. I went to the grocery store and bought Avalon Organics-tea tree mint treatment. It is the only one I saw without SLS. Now I am dealing with the itchy ear occasionally. When I used the other shampoo, I used to clean my ears with it. BIG mistake. my ears still itch a little. I think some may still be in there. Unless someone else know what it is. Carla, I am sure there are other brands out there but this took my rash and itching symptoms away. My hair is not as dry without the sls's. It is in soaps,toothpaste, etc. Hope this helps! LindaLee
Lee

#10 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

I went through that a few months ago and switched to a shampoo with no sodium laurel sulfates. I was totally dreading the shampoo thing until I switched. I went to the grocery store and bought Avalon Organics-tea tree mint treatment. It is the only one I saw without SLS. Now I am dealing with the itchy ear occasionally. When I used the other shampoo, I used to clean my ears with it. BIG mistake. my ears still itch a little. I think some may still be in there. Unless someone else know what it is. Carla, I am sure there are other brands out there but this took my rash and itching symptoms away. My hair is not as dry without the sls's. It is in soaps,toothpaste, etc. Hope this helps! LindaLee

Mine has no sodium laurel sulfates, says so right on the front of the bottle!! I checked when you mentioned this on another thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be connected to wheat, I get it with wheat shampoos, or if I eat wheat. I'll be glad when I'm gluten-free for long enough that I stop getting this!!!
gluten-free 12/05

#11 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

Mine has no sodium laurel sulfates, says so right on the front of the bottle!! I checked when you mentioned this on another thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be connected to wheat, I get it with wheat shampoos, or if I eat wheat. I'll be glad when I'm gluten-free for long enough that I stop getting this!!!

The oil of oregano took away the itching when I had the problem. I think I'll take some tonight for the ear. I just put a drop in water. I don't know, you could try that or a different shampoo. LL
Lee

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

The oil of oregano took away the itching when I had the problem. I think I'll take some tonight for the ear. I just put a drop in water. I don't know, you could try that or a different shampoo. LL

It's taken three weeks, but this rash is not just little red marks that will take forever to go away. I still have a little bit of the rashy bumps on my scalp, but the blister part is finally gone.

I might try the oil of oregano next time thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try it if there is a next time!! ... I used some hydrocortizone cream this time and it helped a lot with the itching. Looked great in my hair, too, made it look nice and greasy :blink:

I really don't think it's the shampoo as the ones I had before went away when I switched to this shampoo (my old shampoo had wheat).
gluten-free 12/05

#13 grannynanny

grannynanny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

Carla,

I, too, get a red patch near my hairline. I don't think it has anything to do with the shampoos I use. I think it shows up when (periodically) I get glutened. It just goes away with a little time. Had never heard of Execalm, but think I'll try it.
Self-diagnosed and gluten free since August 2004 (having suffered debilitating bouts of nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea and stomach pain for 6 years).

Met with Dr. A. Fasano in Baltimore (Dec 2006), who felt I didn't need to be tested based on my history and positive response to the gluten-free diet.

#14 sspitzer5

sspitzer5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

That sounds like mine. Bumps or blisters (look kind of like a big pimple with no whitehead), tender to the touch, itchy, a couple inches into the scalp from the hairline. In addition to the bigger bumps, there is a rash as well.

I get these bigger bumps too. They're red and sore and more like a little cyst. I don't think I have a rash, however, my scalp is itchy. Weird thing is it got a lot worse when I switched to Dove shampoo and conditioner, which I thought were gluten free???

S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: