This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Changing With Diet Change?

jnclelland

jnclelland Contributor

So, I don't have any official diagnosis (even Enterolab was negative after 8 months gluten-free; wish I'd done it sooner!), and my main symptom before going gluten-free was rashes. In the year or so I've been gluten-free, I haven't felt particularly sensitive to CC; if anything, it just made my hand break out a bit, and since I seem to have other (still undiagnosed) food intolerances that also do that, I never knew when I got CC'ed.

So about 6 weeks ago, I went on the South Beach diet. This means a LOT less grains than I was eating before, so less "subsitute glutens," and LOTS of vegetables. Overall I'm feeling great on this diet, but after a couple of weeks I suddenly started having D every day around mid-morning. When I finally figured out the culprit, it was the Butterball Turkey Bacon I was having for breakfast every morning! It's supposed to be gluten-free, but I did a search here and learned that some people have had problems with it. And when I cut it out, no more D. At least, not until today, and I suspect that I got CC'ed with gluten - or possibly dairy, who knows? - today.

So, is it normal for a dietary change - even after being gluten-free for a year - to produce such a change in symptoms? I'm still having a hard time believing that gluten is really the culprit, since it never gave me D before. But I can't imagine what else it could be, either...

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

hi jeanne... i feel like i'm stalking you.

i am not sure if the 'diet' is changing your reaction, but i wanted to say that over time, my symptoms have differed from one reaction to the next. some are constant, some are new. it IS possible that since you have consumed so much less gluten, that your bod is more sensitive, thus triggering the cross contam.

jnclelland Contributor
hi jeanne... i feel like i'm stalking you.

:) I kind of feel the same way! (Like I'm stalking you, I mean.)

i am not sure if the 'diet' is changing your reaction, but i wanted to say that over time, my symptoms have differed from one reaction to the next. some are constant, some are new. it IS possible that since you have consumed so much less gluten, that your bod is more sensitive, thus triggering the cross contam.

-sigh- I just wish that it was easier to figure out WHAT food was causing a certain reaction. All the guesswork is getting to me; just when I think I know what I'm reacting to, my rash flares up even when I'm avoiding whatever I think is causing it. It's really frustrating! Ah well, at least I have a place where I can vent, right?

Jeanne

jabberwife Explorer

I have similar questions, actually. I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks, and as I'm learning more, I realize I had a few hidden gluten episodes during that time. I was feeling better overall though--less bloating, less gas. But in the past few days it's suddenly changed--I've had D several times, and I know I haven't eaten anything with gluten. (I've eaten at home this whole time). Sunday I started to have problems, but they got really bad that night/Monday morning after I made this pizza (with a gluten-free crust I bought at Whole Foods) that has ranch dressing (gluten-free--I checked), mozzarella cheese, and chicken with buffalo wing sauce (also checked). It was spicy but not nearly as spicy as I usually eat (and have eaten with no problems these past 2 weeks--I'm a spicy food junkie). But I was back and forth to the bathroom 15-20 times Monday, and then every time I'd eat a meal, I'd be back within an hour to the bathroom. I'm ok this morning, but I'm trying to understand what could have caused this. Is it just my body getting used to the idea? Does anyone else have other sensitivities that only showed once they started a gluten-free diet? It doesn't seem to be dairy--there's not a real link to the dairy and how I feel.

mommida Enthusiast

There is a list of controversial items. The things that most people question whether or not it is gluten free. Distilled vinegar and annatto are on that list (they are gluten free), but it took about two years on the gluten free diet for my gut to heal well enough to tolerate those particular items. Keep a food diary, and keep in mind that it may not be gluten that you are having problems with.

My theory on why we start to react more severely to gluten after starting the diet... The immune system was activated after every gluten meal, making the body constantly ill. Then you stop eating the gluten. The immune system is put on hold, resting, and only getting stronger. Then the accidental gluten gets into the body and whammo the full strength of the immune system hits. The body isn't starving anymore and flushes the system to get rid of the toxin. (I think the starving body has to try and hold the nutrients.)

I've taken the idea from snake venom studies.

L.

jabberwife Explorer

Could be that. Maybe I'll lay off anything that could be triggering any issues. Spicy foods included. :( Also, wondering if it could be that I got into gluten unknowingly last Thur and Fri? Just now attacking me on Sunday? I had bloating, gas and a headache when it happened, but that was it...

queenofhearts Explorer

Also, I wouldn't discount the possibility of food poisoning, Jabberwife... maybe the chicken?

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator
Could be that. Maybe I'll lay off anything that could be triggering any issues. Spicy foods included. :( Also, wondering if it could be that I got into gluten unknowingly last Thur and Fri? Just now attacking me on Sunday? I had bloating, gas and a headache when it happened, but that was it...

i found that after diagnosis, i got extremely sensitive. i loved spicy foods, and could no longer even use black pepper for awhile. vinegar even bothered me (too acidic). i lived on a diet of about nine foods for six months.

jabberwife Explorer

Good point, Leah...we all are so quick to blame the gluten! It would surprise me though...the chicken was flash-frozen Tyson...but you never know sometimes!

Archived