This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac/exzema - Any Connection?

Debbie65

Debbie65 Apprentice

Hi everyone,

My 19 year old son has suffered from exzema since about the age of 10 and it has always been very difficult to treat. We have never mentioned the celiac presence in the family(those who have read my other posts will know I´ve been in denial about this for a while - so much so that it never entered my mind to mention it).

Since joining this forum almost aweek ago, the stories and symptoms of you guys has made me question whether he may also have a problem. (He refuses to consider it and wo´t go to the doctor- wonder where he gets this stubborn streak from).

OK, here are his symtoms - the afore mentioned exzema

frequent dental work despite his being fastidious about dental hygien

clumsiness (affectionately known as a walking accident waiting to happen)

forgetfulness

shaky hands

The exzema often gets really bad and we put it down to being stress related but it could be triggered by food. It´s difficult to keep a food journal on behalf of someone that age without their co-operation and he just pats my head, kisses my cheek and tells me not to worry then disappears off to work/parties or whatever.

Oh- the rash doesn´t look like the pictures of DH that I´ve looked at on line.

What do you think? Am I paranoid or should I keep trying to convince him to at least have a blood test?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Debbie, all his symptoms could be caused by celiac disease. And eczema is, in my opinion and from what I have seen, ALWAYS food related.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

When my husband was dx with celiac disease I thought I'd try and go G.F with him to support him,and just make life easier.

At the same time I was really struggling to contain my lifelong complaint of eczema.

The steroid creams weren't making any difference any more (I thought it had got worse because of all the stress surrounding my hubbie being so ill with celiac disease)

After a week G.F I noticed that the itching had stopped and sure enough the redness went down and now it's all but gone.

If I'm totally honest I don't think my skin likes too much dairy,and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I never thought that diet would make any difference to my skin,-I'm as suprised as anyone!!

I don't necessarily think I am a celiac though-I just know that my body doesn't like gluten.

Good enough for me to stick to the diet!! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

I get a rash on my scalp that seems food related. I got it last time I got glutened.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

My 19 year old son has suffered from exzema since about the age of 10 and it has always been very difficult to treat. We have never mentioned the celiac presence in the family(those who have read my other posts will know I´ve been in denial about this for a while - so much so that it never entered my mind to mention it).

Since joining this forum almost aweek ago, the stories and symptoms of you guys has made me question whether he may also have a problem. (He refuses to consider it and wo´t go to the doctor- wonder where he gets this stubborn streak from).

OK, here are his symtoms - the afore mentioned exzema

frequent dental work despite his being fastidious about dental hygien

clumsiness (affectionately known as a walking accident waiting to happen)

forgetfulness

shaky hands

The exzema often gets really bad and we put it down to being stress related but it could be triggered by food. It´s difficult to keep a food journal on behalf of someone that age without their co-operation and he just pats my head, kisses my cheek and tells me not to worry then disappears off to work/parties or whatever.

Oh- the rash doesn´t look like the pictures of DH that I´ve looked at on line.

just to let you know my 5 year old same symptoms, we call him" destructer dylan". he has bad exzema the others dont have it and it comes and goes.

What do you think? Am I paranoid or should I keep trying to convince him to at least have a blood test?

Soo B Newbie

I've been getting excima between my eyebrows and around that general area for the last few months. I don't know why. Luckily it is easy to manage, though I'd like to know the source! I'll need to keep a log of what I eat and see when it flares up.

taz sharratt Enthusiast

dont know how that happend, anyway, my 5 year old has the same symptoms, he has bad exzema that comes and goes, his brothers dont have it. we call him" destructer dylan" as he is so clumsy and very often breaks things, usually my things. he hasnt been tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I had eczema diagnosed about 12 years ago on my eyelid. Nothing, including Rx steroid creams would keep it away for long. I tried everything. About 2 months ago, I changed personal care products--nothing with SLS. At about the same time, I discovered I was sensitive to legumes and cut those out. I don't know what did it--the diet changes (I've been gluten-free for a year now) or the soaps, but it's completely gone. The skin is completely back to normal.

Your son's symptoms could be caused by any number of things--I would urge him to have some bloodwork done to rule out anemia and thyroid problems. He could have the Celiac panel done at the same time. I know that boys that age don't want to go to the doctor--I have 2 sons, 21 and 24--it takes a lot to get them to go, so I can understand what you're up against! They need to understand that *if* they have a chronic health issue, it's so much better to find out now when they're young.

AndreaB Contributor

My infant son broke out in eczema when he was a little over two months old. I don't know what caused the flair up (although I have my suspicions) but after I underwent allergy testing I found out I was allergic to soy and wheat/gluten/gliaden along with other things. I elimated soy and most gluten right away (except some oats, rice dream, carob chips) and noticed that he got a lot better. Then I eliminated carob chips after a flair up with those and very rarely had anything with oats. The only thing I was eating with gluten was rice dream milk. His face almost completely cleared up except for very light spots. We got enterolab results back and found out I was intolerant to soy and gluten. After removing the rice dream he has cleared up, no more problems. He is now 7 months old.

chrissy Collaborator

we picked up the celiac in our 3 girls because one of them had rashes in the places that DH usually presents itself------once she went gluten free, the rashes cleared up------so fast, in fact, that i'm not sure if it was really DH or not, but at least it clued us in to celiac.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I just remembered that my son-in-law, who is almost 30 years old, had terrible eczema for most of his life. All over his scalp, once I remember him having it all over his face and arms as well. He was tested for intolerances and found out to be intolerant to sugar a few years ago. When he stopped using sugar (my daughter uses honey in her baking now), his eczema cleared up completely and will only come back if he eats something with sugar. So, it could be something other than gluten or dairy. He should be tested!

AndreaB Contributor

I ordered an expensive balm online from Australia. It is really good. Do a search for David Hosking's Soothing Face & Body Balm. Telephone (03) 9379-7797, for orders and inquiries. I bought this for my infant son's eczema. They also have something for eczema that is sold. No steroids or anything. Chlorhexidine .001% as a safe antiseptic, Lanolin to protect the skin, Zinc Oxide to relieve itch & discomfort and Propylene Glycel to moisturize the skin. Available in 100g,200g & 500g sizes. I haven't used mine since my baby got over his ezcema but they last about 2 years before expiring.

Archived