2 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:24 PM

Can someone please tell me how I can post an intro of myself in a specific forum category?

I find this format confusing....

Thanks!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:32 PM

Hi, I'm Karen. I am 41 yrs old and have had celiac disease for more years than I can remember (since my teens at least). I originally was diagnosed with celiac at age 23 and after 1 year on the gluten free diet with no results, the diagnosis was changed to Crohn's. Finally, 1 1/2 years ago, the blood test confirmed indeed it was Celiac.

I have been on the gluten-free diet since the second diagnosis, but still have not seen any improvement. I basically have had diarrhea permanently for over a decade. I also have hypo-thyroid disease, which is another autoimmune disease affiliated with Celiac.

I came across this board while searching for support. I am currently off work for a two week rest as I had another flare up with excruciating pain. Today is the first day that is seems to be subsiding. Have been eating only rice bread toast for weeks now.

This time though, it also came with the worst case of gas and belching I have ever had. It was absolutely constant - my throat, esophagas, ribs, everything was sore. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, there was a pain in my back on both sides flank area....

I am so worried that there has been so much damage gone unchecked for so long that I will never get better.....

It doesn't help that I work full time, have four children (including 3 yr old twin boys), which doesn't leave much rest time.....

Well, that's me in a nutshell. Hope to gain some valuable info from you guys!!

Karen
;)
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

As for not finding any relief after 18 months on the diet, my first question would be to ask if you are 100% positive that you have eliminated ALL possible sources of cross contamination and gluten exposure (be it packaged products, stamps/envelops/play-dough, cosmetics/soap/shampoo, a not-entirely-gluten-free kitchen, medications, or anything else). My second question would be to ask if you have followed up on whether or not you have any other food intolerances or allergies which could be contributing to your symptoms.

I hope you're feeling better soon!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: