This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fatigue, Nausea, Stomach Pain Related Issues?

vwincuw

vwincuw Newbie

Hola,

First time logged on here. In anyone else's experience has there been a direct correlation (connection) between extreme fatigue, nausea, stomach pain, and flu (or cold like) symptoms without a fever? Or sleeping a full 10-11 hours and still not feeling rested or refreshed? My girlfriend is celiac and I'm still learning about it all to make to it easier for her. We can't tell if all of those symptoms are just part of having Celiac's or if she keeps getting into gluten some where or if it could residual effects of a gluten-binge from over a week ago? Any advice, information, etc. would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!! :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
Hola,

First time logged on here. In anyone else's experience has there been a direct correlation (connection) between extreme fatigue, nausea, stomach pain, and flu (or cold like) symptoms without a fever? Or sleeping a full 10-11 hours and still not feeling rested or refreshed? My girlfriend is celiac and I'm still learning about it all to make to it easier for her. We can't tell if all of those symptoms are just part of having Celiac's or if she keeps getting into gluten some where or if it could residual effects of a gluten-binge from over a week ago? Any advice, information, etc. would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!! :unsure:

Oh the heck yes!!! By the way, you left out brain fog. Everybody's body is different and reaction times vary from person to person, and even in the individual. Get some L-glutamine in the health section of any store - it promotes healing of the intestine. But be sure it's gluten free, of course. But for the most part, the after effects just have to run their course. Make sure she's getting a high protein diet - 50 grams or more of protein a day. Give her some good multivitamin/mineral supplement. Remember, celiac causes malabsorption so while gluten causes damage, the body can't absorb what it needs to heal itself. It's a pretty good double whammy. You didn't state when your g.f. was dx'd or how long she had been sick before she went gluten-free. And has she gone through her meds and toiletries? Gluten is hidden in very many places.

I hope this helps some and she's better soon.

Annette

vwincuw Newbie

Thank you very much! She was unofficially dx'd January of 2005, and had had major dietary issues for years before that. She does extremely well with the diet, but it's not easy for anyone! Thanks again!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, as Nettiebeads said, all those symptoms are quite typical of celiac disease. Why would your girlfriend go on a gluten binge, and how often will she do that? You know, she should NEVER purposely eat gluten ever again! She will do damage to herself if she does. And possibly develop other autoimmune diseases down the road, or even cancer.

It's bad enough that we get accidentally glutened at times, through carelessness, either on ours or somebody else's part (like a chef in a restaurant), without purposely glutening ourselves.

Good for you to be concerned enough to come here and ask us questions, you must really love her!

vwincuw Newbie

She is having a very difficult time with the diet. She goes on binges with only certain foods..pizza and doughnuts. She knows better than to eat the food, but I guess she lets her guard down...She had been to the doctor several times, and doesn't want an offcial dx because of insurance reasons. The doctors she has seen have told her to follow the diet because it relieves some of the pain. I guess the main reason that she doesn't stick to the diet is because she feels that sometimes it doesn't work and as hard as she tries she still gets sick. She is only 20, and it makes her feel like a social outcast. We are working on the binges, but any extra advice would be nice...this has been a huge lifestlye change for ALL of us!!

nettiebeads Apprentice

Yes, celiac can really suck! But she has got to realize that gluten is POISON to her body!!! Does she want to get pregnant in the future? Untreated celiacs have a higher miscarriage rate than the general population. Does she want to be healthy when you both want to do things, go places, have fun? She can't if she's miserable. It'll take a while, but she must learn to associate her favorite binging foods not with the taste and mouth satisfaction, but with the reality those foods cause---Bad stomach, pains, crushing fatigue, brain fog and all of the negative stuff that last for days, a week or more. It takes either maturity or a desparation not to ever feel so sick again.

Annette

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

I am new to this celiac thing too. Husband was diagosed last Oct and my almost 4 year old was just diagnosed in June. Luke seems to be understanding his diet pretty well for his age but was really craving pizza too. I tried Jill's Quick and Easy Pizza Crust from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet and he liked it. Actually our whole family ate it. It actually is easy which is a miracle compared to most gluten free baking. It wasn't as good as normal pizza--sort of more like a bisquick crust but it really made his day. We have had it twice in the last week. What seems to be helping my son is to try to find recipes that fulfill some of his cravings since he is just a kid and wants to be able to eat the foods other kids eat too. Bette Hagman's cookbooks have been a lifesaver--I now make bread, hamburger buns, muffins, cookies and brownies. The teenagers at church polished off the brownies not realizing they were different. Good luck! I commend you caring enough to try to help your girlfriend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vwincuw Newbie
I am new to this celiac thing too. Husband was diagosed last Oct and my almost 4 year old was just diagnosed in June. Luke seems to be understanding his diet pretty well for his age but was really craving pizza too. I tried Jill's Quick and Easy Pizza Crust from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet and he liked it. Actually our whole family ate it. It actually is easy which is a miracle compared to most gluten free baking. It wasn't as good as normal pizza--sort of more like a bisquick crust but it really made his day. We have had it twice in the last week. What seems to be helping my son is to try to find recipes that fulfill some of his cravings since he is just a kid and wants to be able to eat the foods other kids eat too. Bette Hagman's cookbooks have been a lifesaver--I now make bread, hamburger buns, muffins, cookies and brownies. The teenagers at church polished off the brownies not realizing they were different. Good luck! I commend you caring enough to try to help your girlfriend.

It seems to me that as difficult as it is for her to live sometimes, I have had no major issues converting all of our food from gluten-ful to gluten-free, even things that are normally breaded and stuff. What kind of pizza does your family like? My girlfriend craves st. louis style pizza. Also, try giving him meringue cookies too, those have been a hit too!! Also, my girlfried just passed on that if he likes Macaroni and Cheese I think you can take a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese, dump out the noodles, use gluten-free noodles, and the Kraft cheese sauce. She found that on another post on the forum here. My new project is come up with a gluten free pasta that looks, tastes, and feels just like gluten-ful wheat pasta. Happy Cooking!!

happygirl Collaborator

Tinkyada brand pasta. It is delicious and by far, people on this forum's favorite. You can find it at many health food stores, some grocery stores, and online. Spaghetti, lasagna, elbows, penne, spirals.....etc. We made "mac and cheese" with the elbows and velveeta and my non-celiac husband likes eating mine better than "his" pasta----I swear! We serve this pasta to guests and friends (even at a football tailgate) and no one knew the difference. Try it --- hopefully this will be a good subsitute for her!

debradevoe Newbie

<_<

Hola,

My husband and everything you've mentioned about symtoms and stuff sounds so much like my babe. We are trying so hard to keep him gluten-free however, he still suffers from these same sympoms off and on. I certainly hear you. and it is so very frustrating for all of us. He has lust so much weight that I sm afraid. I felt like I had some hope when the celeac came out. Now tho, poor him still has awful symptoms , just like whenever?! It's nice to know this forum is here, I just found it while looking for more info on celeac. Keep on pluggin' and hug the mate a little more often ythen norm, can't hurt. Some boats must be some big, somtimes you don't even know who's in the same one with ya!? Sincerely, caper

Matilda Enthusiast

jnifred Explorer

"My girlfriend craves st. louis style pizza. "

OOHHH......I can help!!!!!!

I am from St. louis originally and that was the one thing I missed along with toasted ravioli.......the pizza problem I fixed early on. I use Chebe mixes and roll it out really thin, then I get provel cheese when I am in st.L and freeze it so I can make pizza's when I want them. To amke the crust really cracker thin and not too soggy I pre bake it for a few minutes before adding the sauce/veggies and cheese. It is sooooooo good. My whole family gobbles it up. We just had it this weekend!!!yyyyuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

And I just figured out toasted ravioli this weekend also. I used the plain chebe mix, the one in the red bag and did not add any leavening agent to it (baking powder etc.) I rolled it out really thin and cut it into circles with a cookie cuuter (I couldn't find a ravioli maker, have to drive in further) anyway......cut it in circles, place a spoonful of whatever filling you want in the center and top with another circle. Press them together around the edges and sprinkle with gluten-free breadcrumsb and parmesan cheese. Bake until lightly browned and enjoy!!!

You can also boil them in a single layer for regular ravioli. I did both and they were FABULOUS!!!! I was sooooooooo excited to figure this out!!!!!!

Good luck and kudos to you for trying to help her.

jknnej Collaborator

Someone should explain to her that going on gluten binges is akin to skipping insulin if you're diabetic.

She can end up with multiple types of cancer if she does have celiac disease and gluten is getting in, not to mention the thousands of other diseases associated with untreated celiac disease. Binging is like skipping treatment and it opens her up to all types of bad things.

If she is still sick even while gluten-free look into possible hidden gluten sources: shampoo, soap. pots and pans-she should be using new ones that have never had gluten filled foods in them, sauces, laundry detergent, make-up, etc.

We all know how hard it is but if she has celiac disease then she has got to get past the denial stage so she can get healthy and not jeopardize her future.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Hola,

It's more than likely from the gluten-binge of over a week ago. It takes time each "glutening" for it to work out of your system! I had some gluten slip in last Friday at a restaurant, nothing obvious, so I don't know what got me, but I suspect they might have used a marinade in the hamburger (with no bun). Just from this little bit, I still feel awful and exactly how you describe even today. I expect it to last for close to a week.

Hers could easily last longer since it was an intentional glutening that presumably had much more gluten than I ate!! After a while you just learn that it's not worth a week or two of illness to enjoy pizza or donuts. I eat Kinnikinnick gluten-free donuts. They're pretty good, and you'd never know they weren't regular donuts.

Others have already mentioned the health risks of continuing to eat gluten, so I won't repeat them.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I also suffer from extreme fatigue and joint pain when I eat gluten. It was so bad that I was diagnosed with fobromyalgia (which I now don't think I have). I couldn't even lift small things like a gallon of milk I was so tired.

Since your girlfriend is so new to this, she's probably still "addicted" to gluten. I've read that gluten can be similar to a morphine addiction to celiacs which can make it very hard to give it up. Pre-gluten-free I used to binge on gluten foods all the time, now I have no cravings for anything.

I'm 24 and initially celiac disease does make you feel a bit like an outcast. But eventually you start figuring out what's safe and what's not. When I go to restaurants I call ahead so I know exactly what I'm going to eat before I get there. When I go to friends' houses, I always bring my own food. And everyone is very accomodating. They always ask me what restaurant is ok for me to eat at, question me about what foods they can serve me, read ingredients for me to try to find safe food (nevermind that they frequently get it wrong, I love the fact that they're trying so hard and seem to really care about me). Everyone's very interested in celiac disease, and I use it as a way to educate people. Once she gets the diet down, she'll hopefully feel less self-concisous and some of that anxiety will diappear.

mellajane Explorer

Hello, yes those symptoms are from the wheat or gluten I am very allergic to the wheat but avoid gluten as well. I get very sick hot and cold sweats nausea and chronic vomitting this usally lasts 2 to 5 days. Recently I found out I have a Hyateal Hernia.... I have been sick since I was 7. Now when I have an allergic reaction this hernia reacts which is all stomach acids coming up, very much likean acid reflux reaction. Whatch out for this as well. Tell her to comepletly stop eating it. Its a very challenging diet but not being sick is so worth it. I started this diet in January 2005. It has literally changed my life. Food will get better, its so frustrating. I used to be a Caterer. I am now looking into selling my gluten free desserts. It will all get better. Good Luck!

Hola,

• 3 weeks later...
n D nile Newbie

Luke's Mom,

I want to tell you about a wonderful recipe for cupcakes, etc. They are made with coconut flour, which has been dificult to locate. I had to buy it online from Bob's Red Mill, and it is rather expensive, but............let me tell you, I really think I am eating the real thing when I make them, and it is not as expensive as it seems as smaller amounts of coconut flour are called for in comparision to other flours. It is very high in fiber and low in sugar also, which is a plus. Your little guy will love these. The recipe for the cupcakes is:

3T butter, melted

3 eggs

1/3 C sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp vanilla

1/4 C sifted coconut flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

bake 15 min at 400 degrees

Just mix up the ingredients and put in a muffin tin. They stick really bad so oil it well. Good luck, I hope he likes these as much as my son and I have. There is a whole recipe book that I checked out from the library, so far I have only liked these, I did not like the bread or the corn muffins. I want to try the pie crust, I think the flour is only good for sweets. Let me know if you want the name of the book, I'll try to find it.

RKB-MD Rookie

Please, for your health, do NOT eat any gluten containing products! Search my other postings, or ask me to email them to you. The consequences from continuing to eat gluten are not worth the long term problems.

Either get over the psychological "need" for the doughnuts, pizza, beer, cake, acting like everyone else, or DIE! Seriously, I may sound like an alarmist, but I'm a doctor and I have CS!

Kyalesyin Apprentice
Hola,

Those were my wife's symptoms EXACTLY, although she also got the shakes so bad she couldn't drink a glass of water. We cut out wheat/gluten and they vanished.

She had two peices of toast yesterday morning, and all those symptoms were back by yesterday evening. Midday today and they're receeding, mostly. Mayhap it just depends on the severity of the condition, but we found that there are no symptoms except the rash unless she's eaten something.

NoGluGirl Contributor
She is having a very difficult time with the diet. She goes on binges with only certain foods..pizza and doughnuts. She knows better than to eat the food, but I guess she lets her guard down...She had been to the doctor several times, and doesn't want an offcial dx because of insurance reasons. The doctors she has seen have told her to follow the diet because it relieves some of the pain. I guess the main reason that she doesn't stick to the diet is because she feels that sometimes it doesn't work and as hard as she tries she still gets sick. She is only 20, and it makes her feel like a social outcast. We are working on the binges, but any extra advice would be nice...this has been a huge lifestlye change for ALL of us!!

Dear vwincuw,

I know how she feels. I am gluten intolerant, and people can treat you like you are just a paranoid freak! My mother does. I am 23, and just found out some of my troubles were caused from gluten. I may also have yeast candida. I have suffered with digestive problems to the point I am debilitated and cannot work, fibromyalgia, sinus problems, and depression due to the misery. We thought I had just bad acid reflux even after my gallbladder was removed, the problems persisted. Being on twice the dosage of Prilosec every day and eating a bland diet did no good. Even tuna on soda crackers gave me indigestion, or buttered bread! Then when I told my new doctor about it, she believes candida and food allergies or sensitivities are a likely cause. I tested negative for celiac sprue six years ago. It turns out, you can be sensitive instead of allergic and get the same exact misery from gluten. So, desperate for relief, I decided to experiment. Once I stopped eating wheat, the reflux has dramatically decreased. I was sleeping practically sitting straight up it was so bad. Now, I am not so bloated (no matter what I did before, I could not lose a pound, and now I have lost 3 1/2 inches since being completely gluten-free and doing Pilates.) My colon used to cramp even when I watched my fat intake closely. Sharp pain in my stomach all over it (a poking sensation) often occurred several times daily. Tell your friend I was so hungry I wanted to cry at first because I was not satisfied because I thought I would never be able to eat anything I did not make myself. Then I began going all over the Internet, and discovered there are many delicious and affordable options! I would be more than happy to give you the URLs for your friend. She will be surprised to learn that there are many gluten-free cosmetics and foods produced by Kraft, Conagra, Hormel, and so many others!

Archived