judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board. I have an allergy to wheat. I've been
gluten free since Nov 03. I have a dental appt coming up and I am wondering
about gluten-free fillings. Are the gluten-free materials readily avalable and are the dentist familiar
with these conditions? I tried to get the receptionist to ask the Dr.,but she said
I would have to talk it over with the dentist. I don't want this to be a wasted trip
in case these materials might have to be ordered. The last time I was at the dentist I came home with "brain fog" which lasted almost all day, so I know I have a problem in this area. I know gluten-free materials for dental care exist because I read about it in the Clan Thomson reference book. Has anyone else had experienced this? Thanks in advance for your help....Judy :D
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:25 PM

The last time I was at the dentist I came home with "brain fog" which lasted almost all day

YES!!! My last dentist visit (for a routine cleaning, not repair work) was before I went totally gluten-free, but I had been wheat-free for several months. After I got home, I CRASHED so hard, I thought I had been mercury-poisoned or something! I couldn't wake up fully (seriously, I was walking into walls all day long) for the next three days or so! A friend of mine said that a lot of bacteria get pushed into the bloodstream during tooth cleaning, and that might have had something to do with it, but now I think I was reacting to gluten in the tooth polish and other dental substances that were used. Next time I schedule an appointment, I will be sure to DEMAND gluten-free tooth polish, etc.--and if they can't supply any, I won't let them polish my teeth! I hadn't even considered the question of filling materials--I hope they're gluten-free!

Good luck getting a timely--and straight--answer from your dentist. Let us know what you find out!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 shanmac

shanmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:46 PM

Wow- I've been gluten free for more than 5 months and I thought that I was so careful and had thought of everything that might contain gluten- but the dentist didn't even occur to me. Thanks for bringing this topic into discussion!

#4 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:16 PM

Hi everyone! I went to the dentist, had my filling redone, had my teeth cleaned
and polished, and came out with no brain fog. My dentist had never heard of Celiac's [duh!!!] but his partner's child has it so she told him which materials to
use, so now he is aware of the disease and I plan to enlighten more on my next
visit with printouts. Thanks for listening....Judy

#5 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

Judy, that's great! How serendipitous that your dentist's partner is personally familiar with celiac disease! It must be a relief to have someone who can advocate for you at the dentist's office. I'm glad you had a positive experience, and I hope you are doing well!
Sarah

#6 cvogel

cvogel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:29 AM

Looking for a Celiac tolerant Dentist in Manhattan Upper west side, preferably 60th to 90th streets, amsterdam ave vicinity. Will consider any in Manhattan.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

I went to the dentist last week and while I called about it, they didn't think there would be a problem, and I had no trouble from the cleaning or x-rays. Could just be my dentist, I don't know...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 gbeauvais

gbeauvais

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:58 AM

I never have the hygenist polish my teeth because it bothers my gums, but I hadn't even thought about the polish containing gluten. Are there products that the dentist would use in doing fillings or other work that I need to watch out for? How can I find out exactly which products to talk to him about? Thanks

Gerri in SF

#9 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

I don't know about amalgam materials or cement or things like that, but I would check on "natural flavorings" in the tooth polish and dental floss. I seem to remember vaguely that mint-flavored floss may not be gluten-free, and so I wonder if the same would be true of mint-flavored tooth polish. I'm not a big fan of artificial fruit flavors, so I think I requested the mint flavor last time, when I got so foggy-headed afterward. It's something I'll definitely look into before my next visit!
Sarah

#10 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:19 PM

I went to the dentist for a cleaning and the polish did give me brain fog. The good news is many of the Aquafresh products are gluten-free! I use the one for sensitive teeth. Also, Jason makes a toothpaste with Co-Q10 and I haven't had a problem. I don't know if it is gluten-free. Jason's brand is known for health conscience.

I would love to hear from you...

#11 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:29 PM

Hi,

I found the info on dental materials in the small guides sold by Clan
Thompson. One is for gluten-free prescription meds, the other for gluten-free over-
the-counter meds, the other is a gluten free food list. they only
cost about $4.95 ea, and are helpful to keep in your purse.
They also have a database on gluten-free restaurants, food,medicine
drugs, etc.
judy

#12 murda

murda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:13 AM

Judy04 -
Where do you get those Clan Thompson books? They sound like something I would be interested in carrying around.

Thanks
MURDA

#13 dkmb

dkmb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:27 AM

The gloves dentists wear are often powdered. That powder usually has gluten in it and this may be the source of your reaction after your visit. You can ask them to use gloves that don't have powder or see if you can provide your own. Hope this helps.
DK

#14 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:13 PM

Murda,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, we are moving to PA soon and we were up there
working on the house. If you go to clanthompson.com and click on celiac's
I think you can order them. They also have a large database with a
lot more information to download. I haven't done that yet but I plan to.
Hope this helps...
judy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: