#1 DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's so HOT right now in Massachusetts...and guess what drink I'm going crazy for?
GIN AND TONIC !!!!!!!

I found a few posts but I'm still not to confident wondering if Seagrams or Tanqueray (spelling?) Gin is okay for us celiacs? Are there any other quality gins that you have proven successful??
Also, what type of tonics are okay for us? Scwepps?

Any thoughts everyone??

thanks so much
J

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

My understanding is that distilled alcohol is gluten-free unless they add sour mash back into it, but I don't think that would be the case for gin. You can double check at the manufacturer's website if you want to be sure. I haven't been brave enough personally to try grain alcohol -- the fact that it's made from something that makes me so sick psyches me out, but I know others around here drink them.

I'd read the label of the tonic.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

Gin is made from juniper berries, not grain, so there is no reason for it not to be gluten-free :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

Gin is made from juniper berries, not grain, so there is no reason for it not to be gluten-free :)

didn't know that ... don't like gin ...
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

Actually Gin is made from grains...its is flavored with juniper berries..

"Gin is a flavoured white spirit made by distilling grains such as barley, corn or rye. It's flavored using Juniper berries, coriander, angelica, herbs and spices and a variety of other natural ingredients which are added to the grain mash during distillation. " drinksmixer.com

"Gin, alcoholic liquor, distilled from grain, and deriving its flavor principally from an infusion of juniper berries " encarta.msn.com

I also got this email from Bombay Gin...

Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services
The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A.
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#6 DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

Actually Gin is made from grains...its is flavored with juniper berries..

"Gin is a flavoured white spirit made by distilling grains such as barley, corn or rye. It's flavored using Juniper berries, coriander, angelica, herbs and spices and a variety of other natural ingredients which are added to the grain mash during distillation. " drinksmixer.com

"Gin, alcoholic liquor, distilled from grain, and deriving its flavor principally from an infusion of juniper berries " encarta.msn.com

I also got this email from Bombay Gin...

Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services
The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A.

Now I'm all depressed and Confused!!
I always thought SOME Gins were Okay?? Now I have doubts!
Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!!

#7 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Distilled alcohol is OK regarless of grain, unless they add mash back in. Some people still react to them, but it's generally thought that it's not a gluten problem in those individuals.

I stick to clear liquors, and I've been fine. Yes, that includes gin. :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#8 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

Tanguerey gin is safe. I contacted the company about a year ago and the gin is safe. Could not go a summer without my gin and tonic. Enjoy!

Hez

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:53 AM

Now I'm all depressed and Confused!!
I always thought SOME Gins were Okay?? Now I have doubts!
Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!!

You could call the company to ask if it is distilled from corn. I have a definate gluten reaction from distilled gluten containing grains, not everyone does, but since the symptoms and the DH are exactly the same as if I ate a slice of bread I know for me it is gluten and not just some 'mystery' reaction from something else. There are many levels of severity and differences in presentation in celiacs so what makes one person react strongly might be barely noticable in another. In the end the true determining factor for distilled gluten grains is your personal reaction to them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 foxlikeroxy

foxlikeroxy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I just called Tanqueray about their London dry gin and it does contain wheat in the ingredients. I called because I wasn't sure if it contained corn and it doesn't contain corn. Kinda disappointed since I thought it was okay since I read the above posts thinking it was wheat free.

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

this thread is pretty old (last post 2006), so, manufacturers change their ingredients from time to time  - it always pays to check  :)  and read all the labels.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

I drink gin and tonic frequently (Hey, Mississippi is in the humid sub-tropics. We need it) Never have reacted to any gin or tonic. Granted I am not a "super-sensitive" like some people, but I AM fairly sensitive. You should be safe with gin and tonic.

There are enough things we have to do without. I take advantage of the safe ones!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: