This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Outback Dessert

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

Okay - I went finally went into my local Outback to eat. I have not eaten inside before, just picked up a few to go orders - never had dessert, never got sick. I had a coupon that was about to expire so I had to use it or lose it. We had the gluten-free shrimp app., salad, a grilled chicken item with a baked potato and the thunder whatever dessert. My husband insisted this dessert could not be gluten free so I showed him the menu and how the dessert is gluten free and that I know others that had it before with no problems. So anyway, the server did not know squat about gluten and I said I was allergic to wheat but she didn't even know croutons had wheat in them. She thought I wanted the croutons on the side when I said I wanted none. This girl was darling and dumb as a post! Everything was great until about two hours later when I looked six months pregnant from my bloated stomach. So before I write off Outback completely (which is not an issue since I never went there pre gluten free days), does anyone know if the Outback brownie is pretty like any brownie because this was just like a brownie and nothing like any flourless brownie/tort I've had anywhere else? I'm thinking maybe they had a substitute brownie last night and I know this girl would not have figured out to tell me I could not have it. I mean I didn't say - does this dessert have wheat/flour in it? since the menu stated it did not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Their gluten free dessert is called "The Thunder from Down Under", and it is an experience unlike you will have ever imagined!!!! I swear I almost had an out of body experience savouring that thing!!!!

Karen

dionnek Enthusiast

I just had it last night for the first time and it was to die for! And I feel fine - did you talk to the manager before ordering? You can NEVER rely on the wait staff at places like that. The brownie is a flourless brownie and they do not use flour to dust the pan. My suspicion would be that she just took the croutons off you salad and gave you the same one, or something else was contaminated....

No - since they were so dead (very odd for Outback) I didn't bother talking to the manager but obviously I should have. But for me, if I need to talk to a manager, I'd prefer going somewhere more upscale. I thought the point of going where they have a gluten free menu was that they know what they are doing when it comes to gluten but apparently that's not the case. And the salad did not come out with croutons and nothing was in the bowl indicating there had been any in it and they said they made the salad in a clean bowl.

I doubt I'll be back to Outback since I much prefer Bugaboo Creek and they finally have a gluten free menu as well. In the future I'll make sure and speak to the manager there too (or any place with a gluten free menu). Still for that trouble, I'd rather go to a non chain place anyway. Never like chains and probably never will - gluten free menu or not.

CarlaB Enthusiast

The brownie does seem like a regular brownie, to answer your original question. Could you be sensitive to dairy? My casein reaction is pretty much the same as my gluten reaction. I always had questionable glutenings where I couldn't quite pinpoint the source. I finally saw the common thread of them all, they were all after I had consumed dairy. I was tested by Enterolab for casein, but went into denial because of all the dietary changes I had to make for the gluten.

No - since they were so dead (very odd for Outback) I didn't bother talking to the manager but obviously I should have. But for me, if I need to talk to a manager, I'd prefer going somewhere more upscale. I thought the point of going where they have a gluten free menu was that they know what they are doing when it comes to gluten but apparently that's not the case. And the salad did not come out with croutons and nothing was in the bowl indicating there had been any in it and they said they made the salad in a clean bowl.

I never ask for the manager if they have a gluten-free menu. Often the server does not know what is going on in the kitchen, so I don't rely on them for info. Last time I was at Cheeseburger in Paradise, I asked the waitress, who knew nothing about gluten, to find out an answer to one of my questions. She said the manager himself always cooks the gluten-free meals at that Cheeseburger, so there would be no problems. I was quite impressed. They are owned by Outback.

swittenauer Enthusiast

That dessert is awesome!!!! Now I have to go get one. My husband, daughter & I went there for Father's Day & got it & we couldn't get enough.

No - thank goodness I'm not sestive to anything but gluten - right now anyway. If I were I'd be sick as a dog every day of my life! That said, no one at this Outback seems older than 12 - I know they are older they just seem very young because they are. At Carraba's, Bugaboo Creek and PF Changs I have never asked for a manager, and I've never gotten sick either. I think I have a really bad Outback near me and it doesn't really matter anyway since I never ate there before going gluten free. I was just questioning if I got a 'real' brownie or something but I don't think that was it. Before I've always gotten a steak to go, never got sick and last night I tried the chicken dish so the only new things were the dessert and the chicken. The chicken must have been cc'd somehow. It has a sauce this is supposed to be gluten free but they gave me an old menu....maybe I should check their website to see if the chicken dish is no longer gluten free. Thanks for the replies guys.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Did you use their dressing? Not all of them are gluten-free. I think that's how I got glutened there once, I had a dressing that was gluten-free, but reacted halfway through the salad.

Also, having worked at a steakhouse, the dressings are in these metal tubs that are on a bar and usually the crutons are right next to the dressings and crutons got dropped in the dressings all the time. Waitstaff would also dip crutons in the dressing tubs and eat them to survive since we never got breaks :ph34r:

I don't know if they operate similarly at Outback, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And, even if she mixed the salad in a clean bowl, she may have had cruton crumbs on her hands from putting yours on the side or from making another salad.

jennyj Collaborator

I was going to suggest the dressing or the removing of the croutons. Almost sounds like a medical show, "Turn in tomorrow for the next exciting episode of---The Removing of the Croutons." Sorry I just had a moment. <_< I love the brownie and the last waitress I had at Outback was celiac and told me to watch the dressings because they were not all gluten-free. She told me her fav and I tried it. Can't remember the flavor though.

I do always have their ranch dressing that is supposed to be gluten-free and I've never gotten sick. However, there's a first time for everything so maybe a crouton did get into the tub of dressing. I'm not going to worry about it since in fairness I'm not going back since I prefer Bugaboo if I want steak or even chicken. I was just curious to make sure I did get their gluten-free dessert and it seems I did so I don't think that was it anyway.

tarnalberry Community Regular

You wouldn't know that it's gluten free by texture/taste. It's very "normal".

Some people here have had problems with Outback's staff (particularly lack of training), but in the seven Outback's I've been to, in four different states, I've yet to have a problem. (Though I've not been to the trouble spots. :-) )

Mango04 Enthusiast

I felt sick after I ate at Outback recently and I didn't have the brownie. All I had was grilled chicken with plain steamed veggies and a salad without cheese or croutons (oil and vinegar on the side). The waiter was nice but clueless. He did know enough to tell me they put butter on the outside of the baked potatoes before they bake them, so it's not possible to order a plain baked potato without butter.

Lauren M Explorer

I work at Outback and I have to say that the Thunder (and the Sydney's Sundae) are the MOST trustworthy and tasty options on the menu, in my opinion! (sidenote - I am a vegetarian however!)

I think that there is the least amount of risk for cross contamination, just by the way the kitchen is set up (at least at my OB) with these desserts.

Eating out is always risky, but I would definitely stress to my server that they need to write GLUTEN-FREE on the order ticket. The server may not know about Celiac, but hopefully the kitchen staff has at least been trained on the subject. Luckily, anyone at my OB who has a question about a customer who needs a gluten-free meal can come to me and I can go out to talk to the customer! That usually helps ease his/her fears. Sooo, if anyone is ever in Deptford, NJ, ask for me at Outback haha.

But seriously, the Thunder is AWESOME and I'm not just saying that b/c I work for OB. In fact, I would say that the Thunder was a major contributing factor in my decision to work there HAHA!

- Lauren

I forgot I had left overs from last night so I had the chicken for lunch - no reaction. Had the potato for dinner - so far no reaction to that either. I think it had to be something with the dressing or the salad - having croutons in the salad that were picked out or cc'd dressing. Or maybe they put the shrimp app. on the toast and then took it off and put on clean plate. No worries as I really don't like Outback anyway and will stick with Bugaboo. I'm just sure now it was not the chicken at least.

jaten Enthusiast

Ok, now I'm confused. I was at an Outback yesterday. I asked for and received the gluten-free menu. I was all set for the Thunder from Down Under dessert. (I've never ordered it before.) BUT, on my gluten-free menu, NONE of the desserts, including the Thunder was marked gluten-free!!! My menu was dated April '06. So, I didn't dare try it. I went dessert-less. I thought maybe they had changed their recipe. I don't know. Any ideas??

wozzy Apprentice

I got sick from the dessert, but I also do have a mild pecan allergy. It was the first time I had pecans since my diagnosis, and it gave me a headache...It also could have been from the obscene amount of lactose.

As a side note, if you want ribs, you can save like $8 if you get 2 orders of kids ribs instead of 1 order of adult ribs, and you get 2 sides! ;-)

penguin Community Regular
Ok, now I'm confused. I was at an Outback yesterday. I asked for and received the gluten-free menu. I was all set for the Thunder from Down Under dessert. (I've never ordered it before.) BUT, on my gluten-free menu, NONE of the desserts, including the Thunder was marked gluten-free!!! My menu was dated April '06. So, I didn't dare try it. I went dessert-less. I thought maybe they had changed their recipe. I don't know. Any ideas??

That's wierd :huh:

The current gluten-free menu on the Outback website still has it listed. Maybe your particular outback made it differently?

Lauren M Explorer
I got sick from the dessert, but I also do have a mild pecan allergy. It was the first time I had pecans since my diagnosis, and it gave me a headache...It also could have been from the obscene amount of lactose.

As a side note, if you want ribs, you can save like $8 if you get 2 orders of kids ribs instead of 1 order of adult ribs, and you get 2 sides! ;-)

But if your server is following the rules, he/she should charge you a $2.00 upcharge PER order from the kids menu if you are an adult.

- Lauren

Aega Newbie

Hi, I just found this great forum, and I couldn't help but replying to your question. (I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in Jan 2000, and have been gluten-free ever since).

Despite what the Outback Menu says, I have always always always gotten sick on their brownie. I have had it on at least 10 separate occasions at 4 different Outbacks in NY and MA and have always gotten sick. It took me a while to realize the brownie was causing me to have D after my meal.

If someone could post the ingredients for the brownie, I would love to know.

I suggest the Sydney's Sinful Sundae as a great alternative (if you're not allergic to coconut or strawberries).

(For reference, I'm looking at the online menu dated 4/06, and Cinnamon Apple Oblivion, Chocolate Thunder..., and Sydney's Sinful Sundae are all marked gluten-free. I've never tried the Cinnamon Apple thing, but it doesn't sound very appetizing without the apples or the cinnamon as the avoidance suggests).

Lauren M Explorer
Hi, I just found this great forum, and I couldn't help but replying to your question. (I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in Jan 2000, and have been gluten-free ever since).

Despite what the Outback Menu says, I have always always always gotten sick on their brownie. I have had it on at least 10 separate occasions at 4 different Outbacks in NY and MA and have always gotten sick. It took me a while to realize the brownie was causing me to have D after my meal.

If someone could post the ingredients for the brownie, I would love to know.

I suggest the Sydney's Sinful Sundae as a great alternative (if you're not allergic to coconut or strawberries).

(For reference, I'm looking at the online menu dated 4/06, and Cinnamon Apple Oblivion, Chocolate Thunder..., and Sydney's Sinful Sundae are all marked gluten-free. I've never tried the Cinnamon Apple thing, but it doesn't sound very appetizing without the apples or the cinnamon as the avoidance suggests).

The Cinnamon Oblivion gluten-free version is basically vanilla icecream with caramel sauce and cinnamon pecans. Actually, if you like those things, it's awesome.

Perhaps the Thunder is just too rich for you? Are you sure it is a gluten reaction? Are you sensitive to nuts?

- Lauren

wozzy Apprentice
But if your server is following the rules, he/she should charge you a $2.00 upcharge PER order from the kids menu if you are an adult.

- Lauren

Hmmm maybe I pass as a kid because I'm 20? ;-)

But you'd still save $4!

MallysMama Explorer

The Thunder is 100% gluten-free.....however that doesn't make it free from CC - same as any other food you might eat in any restaurant. It has NO flour what-so-ever in it. They wouldn't change the recipe at one Outback and not another - the recipes are the same for every Outback (over 700 of them worldwide).

About the kid's menu - they no longer do the $2.00 upcharge out here....I assumed it was everywhere... but I guess that was our JVP's ruling?

The Outback I have worked for (for one year) doesn't train their employees (servers anyway) about the gluten-free menu. I think the training at each Outback depends solely on the Proprietor....and mine, while he's a great guy, doesn't seem to be too concerned with training everyone on the intricacies of food allergies (there's always a high turnover with the food industry). I would assume the cooks know more about those types of things...as they are the ones making your dinner. The servers just take the orders and serve the food. As long as you tell them what to write on the ticket - whether they know what Celiac or gluten is or not - shouldn't matter....the cooks will read the ticket and follow what it says.

Good luck next time you eat out!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

The chocolate thunder from down under is definately gluten free and definately amazing!!!!

But like Lauren said, make sure the server writes GLUTEN FREE on the ticket. I actually was at an Outback recently (actually tried to go to Mama's and they were closed for construction so DH promptly found an Outback before I burst into tears. I'd been talking about going to Mama's for a month), anywhoo I degress; the server had no idea what I meant when I asked him to write Gluten Free next to my order. I asked him, "can you write gluten free next to my order." and everytime he went, "uh huh." and didn't write anything. I repeated this like 4 times and finally he just handed me the pen and order slip with a bewildered look. You would have thought I was asking him for a water buffalo - not sitting infront of him pointing to a gluten free menu asking him to write gluten free! P.S. when my salad came there was 1 stray crouton buried under some lettuce but luckily because I already had such a lack of confidence in him I sifted through it without taking a bite and requested a new one from the manager.

VydorScope Proficient

So then what is the brownie made from?

Rikki Tikki Explorer

It might of just been an error on your menu, I would just ask. I have had the dessert several times with no reaction. The only problem I ever has was one time the server brought out my salad and I saw crumbs of croutons on the top, so I think she just realized they were on there and grabbed them off. But I have had both desserts and I agree it's an out of body experience.

Archived