This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback Dessert

floridanative

mamaw Community Regular

I too get sick when I eat the thunder from down under. I think it is so big & rich but I only ate two or three bites and got sick. My daughter devoured the whole thing and is much more sensitive than me and never had a sick feeling from it. I think that is the only thing I've gotten really sick from. Maybe it was to much choc!!!!!!!and me thinking of all the pounds that would go straight to my hips if I ate that monster!!!!!!!

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Ok, now I'm confused. I was at an Outback yesterday. I asked for and received the gluten-free menu. I was all set for the Thunder from Down Under dessert. (I've never ordered it before.) BUT, on my gluten-free menu, NONE of the desserts, including the Thunder was marked gluten-free!!! My menu was dated April '06. So, I didn't dare try it. I went dessert-less. I thought maybe they had changed their recipe. I don't know. Any ideas??

I think I know what you're talking about. Their gluten-free menu is a bit confusing. ON some items there is a "gluten-free" by the menu item and on others there is not. The first time I went there and asked for the gluten-free menu I was like this is nice, but why are all these other gluten filled items on here (thinking the only gluten-free items were labelled with the "gluten-free") I asked our server - who happened to be the most informed sever i have ever had the pleasure to deal with - and she explained that the items with no "gluten-free" are inherintly gluten-free with no alterations needed. Those items with a "gluten-free" require special prep. (ie. tell server not croutons, substitute a potato for mixed veggies, etc) Maybe you were following the same logic as I was?

VydorScope Proficient
So then what is the brownie made from?

So no one knows? :(

happygirl Collaborator

I would assume its made out of similar stuff that we make brownies with at home---some combo of other flours!

penguin Community Regular

I'm guessing it's a flourless torte type thing, which means TONS of eggs, baking chocolate, and butter. I would definitely keep Tim away from it.

VydorScope Proficient
I'm guessing it's a flourless torte type thing, which means TONS of eggs, baking chocolate, and butter. I would definitely keep Tim away from it.

So somthing like Open Original Shared Link ?

penguin Community Regular
So somthing like Open Original Shared Link ?

That would be my guess! I seriously doubt Outback would go through trying to figure out what obscure flours to use in their brownie :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laurelfla Enthusiast

there is a new menu out as mentioned above and my Outback here in Gainesville doesn't have a paper copy yet so they have to print it off the Internet for me every time and there is lots of tiny print with modifications to make items gluten-free. a couple of months ago i thought my dad had ordered something gluten-free but missed the tiny print that said "avoid the sauce" but anyway i only had a tiny bite and i didn't have any symptoms. (i discovered my mistake like a month later when i saw the menu again! oops). make sure to ask for the menu when you go because there are new items and i think some old ones are gone maybe.

every time i go i get the same thing: a Margaritaville margarita, Alice Springs Chicken, and Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. i think i could eat that chicken everyday and not get tired of it!

Flourless brownies, incidentally, to me taste just like a very rich flourful fudgy brownie. i react to the ice cream but that is because i never remember to take my Lactaid!

eKatherine Rookie

If it tastes just like a brownie, it's probably just a regular brownie recipe with some alternative flour blend. That's how I make them, and no one would know I didn't use wheat flour.

The flourless chocolate cakes I've made and eaten are much denser and wetter than regular brownies.

gf4life Enthusiast

It is a flourless brownie. I can't stand it personally, it is way too rich for me. I have never had a (gluten) reaction to it though. My kids like to get it, especially my oldest boy who is addicted to chocolate!

I expect that the recipe is a lot like the one Vincent posted a link to.

floridanative Community Regular

Gosh - it's interesting that some of you also react to the Outback brownie dessert. Maybe it's too rich for me or maybe there is something in ice cream bothering me. I had lots of pecans in a coffee cake Sat. - they never bother me. I'm sure the chicken wasn't the issue since I ate the leftovers - twice - with no reaction. But what is in ice cream that it could be? I eat tons of real butter/sour cream/cheese. I drink skim milk but rarely eat ice cream. I'm tempted to have the dessert at a later date just to see what happens. I don't want to be eating something that I should avoid. Maybe the guy who cut my potato just used a contaminated knife.....each time I order my food to go I request they don't cut my potato and they never have. Maybe they ran out of ice cream and ran next door and got some non gluten free stuff. Who knows? I do think that this Outback is one of the worst around (young unitelligent staff) anyway so maybe I'll drive to a different one and have the dessert there one of these days.

MallysMama Explorer
If it tastes just like a brownie, it's probably just a regular brownie recipe with some alternative flour blend. That's how I make them, and no one would know I didn't use wheat flour.

The flourless chocolate cakes I've made and eaten are much denser and wetter than regular brownies.

Okay, did no one read my previous reply!?!? Seriously - there's no debate about it - There is NO flour what-so-ever in the Chocolate Thunder From Down Under brownie!!!! I work for Outback and have asked the ingredients of the brownie before!! They don't like to give out recipes - but if you called your local Outback and asked them what very few ingredients are in the brownie -and tell them it's for allergy reasons - they will gladly tell you. It's not that complicated!!

Girl Ninja Newbie

Last week I met a guy who has been a general manager for Outback for 13 years. He has worked at 5 stores in MI. No one had ever explained the gluten free menu to him. He thought all of the stuff on it was sugar free. Kinda scary. I did my best to explain it to him.

eKatherine Rookie
Okay, did no one read my previous reply!?!? Seriously - there's no debate about it - There is NO flour what-so-ever in the Chocolate Thunder From Down Under brownie!!!! I work for Outback and have asked the ingredients of the brownie before!! They don't like to give out recipes - but if you called your local Outback and asked them what very few ingredients are in the brownie -and tell them it's for allergy reasons - they will gladly tell you. It's not that complicated!!

The question came up repeatedly of what the ingredients were, but it went unanswered, while everybody at that point was saying it tasted like a regular brownie.

Sorry for not being an employee...well, not.

MallysMama Explorer
The Thunder is 100% gluten-free.....however that doesn't make it free from CC - same as any other food you might eat in any restaurant. It has NO flour what-so-ever in it. They wouldn't change the recipe at one Outback and not another - the recipes are the same for every Outback (over 700 of them worldwide).

I said this a few days ago... in relation to what was Not in the brownie. But lots of people still seemed to debate the fact that it has no flour....even though I answered it in that post. Sorry about my previous post... I was feeling really grumpy that day... I know it was a little rude. I'm sorry.

VydorScope Proficient
I said this a few days ago... in relation to what was Not in the brownie. But lots of people still seemed to debate the fact that it has no flour....even though I answered it in that post. Sorry about my previous post... I was feeling really grumpy that day... I know it was a little rude. I'm sorry.

I never doubted you , I just wanted to know how they make it. :D

sparkles Contributor

Outback is the ONLY restaurant that I really trust..... The wait staff and the manager have always gone out of their way to ensure that my food was gluten-free and that there was no cross contamination. If you think that the wait staff is a little young or just might not understand the necessity for gluten-free food, talk to the manager. Here in Bloomington, MN, I have never had a problem and recently was in Fort Jackson, SC, and ate at Outback there with no problems though the waiter did seem to not understand the necessity of making sure that the food was gluten-free but his manager DID! Thunder Down Under is certainly a treat and I think that maybe if you did get sick, the problem might be a waitress who did not make sure that the cooks understood that the order was to be gluten-free or else you have another dietary problem. I hope that it is not the brownie as it is the one thing that almost tastes like the real thing!!!!

aggieceliac Newbie

I'm not sure if anyone answered the question about the desserts not being marked gluten-free on the menu. I had the exact same problem and was almost very very dissappointed. The gluten-free menu they gave me had a side flap with the desserts listed but not marked gluten-free. My mom thankfully pointed out the desserts were also listed on the back where the Thunder-From-Down-Under and Sinful-Sundae were marked gluten-free. :D I also had the Victorian steak(?)(forgot what it's really called) with Ceasar salad and a baked potato with cheese, sour cream and butter. I only ate half of the salad as the garlic flavor was overwhelming and I may be sensitive to garlic. I had no reaction thankfully. Other times I had been there I didn't feel well after eating. It also may have been the portion sizes. Anyways, I can't wait to go back and maybe order one of their sandwhiches without the bread of course!

jaten Enthusiast
I think I know what you're talking about. Their gluten-free menu is a bit confusing. ON some items there is a "gluten-free" by the menu item and on others there is not. The first time I went there and asked for the gluten-free menu I was like this is nice, but why are all these other gluten filled items on here (thinking the only gluten-free items were labelled with the "gluten-free") I asked our server - who happened to be the most informed sever i have ever had the pleasure to deal with - and she explained that the items with no "gluten-free" are inherintly gluten-free with no alterations needed. Those items with a "gluten-free" require special prep. (ie. tell server not croutons, substitute a potato for mixed veggies, etc) Maybe you were following the same logic as I was?

Well, there you have it!!! Yes, like you I thought that it was a regular menu, and they just marked what is Gluten Free with the gluten-free tag. You mean, everything on the gluten-free menu is gluten-free???? Really?????

Someone suggested that on the back flap the Thunder would have been marked gluten-free. Nope, searched this menu high and low, and there was no gluten-free stamp for the Thunder. No explanation. No nothing.

Thanks everyone for clarification!

Aega Newbie
Perhaps the Thunder is just too rich for you? Are you sure it is a gluten reaction? Are you sensitive to nuts?

- Lauren

Nope, I'm not sensitive to nuts, and I can eat an entire [sinful] Sundae by myself without problems (rules out the ice cream). I usually wind up sharing a desert with my mother who also has Celiac Disease, and we've both gotten sick on the brownie.

After reading the replies, I can't imagine what would be causing us to have reactions. I think the next time I go to the Outback I'll try it again with lactaid (because it does taste really really good :lol: ), but I'll still keep the Anti-Diarrheal medication on-hand in case of a reaction.

This may be on another thread but I didn't see one. Someone from my support group went to an Outback very recently (not sure where in the South) and she was informed that her fave dish is no longer gluten free. The new BBQ sauce contains gluten. I thought maybe that's what was on Alice's chicken that I had but it's not - that has honey mustard instead. But I had the BBQ shrimp app. but I don't think that actually has bbq sauce, but it could be started with it which would explain why I got sick. In any case, I think we should all write Outback and ask if this is true, that they are switching to a new gluten containing BBQ sauce and thell them how upset we are that they are doing so. I really don't care about eating at Outback personally (except for the yummy dessert) but I know many who love it. Supposedly the website gluten-free and some store gluten-free menus have not been updated on this change (which is why I think we need contact Outback to confirm). The manager of this particular location stated that as soon as each store runs out of the old BBQ sauce, they will start using the new gluten containing one. Has anyone else heard any of this?

Never mind. The manager that relayed this misinformation was at the Greenville SC Outback. There is a new BBQ sauce and all stores will be switching to it (or have already) BUT the only gluten it contains is from corn. Outback spokesperson in Tampa said that they are getting flooded with e-mails about this and they are upset that someone has told this inacuracy about their new sauce. The only thing they can think is the corn gluten part confused someone. She also stated that the new gluten-free items are monitored by Dr. Cynthia Rudert to make sure they are indeed gluten free.

jaten Enthusiast
and she explained that the items with no "gluten-free" are inherintly gluten-free with no alterations needed. Those items with a "gluten-free" require special prep. (ie. tell server not croutons, substitute a potato for mixed veggies, etc) Maybe you were following the same logic as I was?

I'm not sure about this. Thank you for the input, but you may want to have another look. I don't think that the batter fried foods and the pastas are gluten free. Yet some of them are on the gluten-free menu, just withOUT the gluten-free stamp. It has to be that only the foods marked gluten-free are gluten-free on this menu. Please be careful when you order.

ElovesFC Rookie
there is a new menu out as mentioned above and my Outback here in Gainesville doesn't have a paper copy yet so they have to print it off the Internet for me every time and there is lots of tiny print with modifications to make items gluten-free. a couple of months ago i thought my dad had ordered something gluten-free but missed the tiny print that said "avoid the sauce" but anyway i only had a tiny bite and i didn't have any symptoms. (i discovered my mistake like a month later when i saw the menu again! oops). make sure to ask for the menu when you go because there are new items and i think some old ones are gone maybe.

every time i go i get the same thing: a Margaritaville margarita, Alice Springs Chicken, and Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. i think i could eat that chicken everyday and not get tired of it!

Flourless brownies, incidentally, to me taste just like a very rich flourful fudgy brownie. i react to the ice cream but that is because i never remember to take my Lactaid!

Is the sauce for the Alice Spring Chicken gluten-free?

Lauren M Explorer
Is the sauce for the Alice Spring Chicken gluten-free?

The honey mustard sauce that comes with the Alice Springs Chix is gluten-free. Enjoy!

- Lauren

Archived