11 replies to this topic

#1 sillyyak

sillyyak

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

Are Kosher dill pickles safe to eat? The jar said they had vingear in it but I am not sure. Please advise. Thank you
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

I have never had any problems but you may be more sensitive than I am. I use Vlasic. Good luck.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

Vinegar (with the exception of malt vinegar) is generally accepted as gluten-free. Nevertheless, some people do have problems with vinegar. Malt vinegar will be labelled as such. If it just says vinegar, enjoy!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for asking that . . . I was wondering it myself. I love Claussen pickles . . . but haven't eaten them since being gluten-free because I was too scared.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#5 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Pickles are almost always made with plain old white vinegar, and that's always distilled. I imagine pickles made with malt vinegar would be pretty gross :P
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

Are Kosher dill pickles safe to eat? The jar said they had vingear in it but I am not sure. Please advise. Thank you

I react to grain vinagers but not to a distilled corn vinager. I usually call the company to find out what they use. Pickles are also easy to make yourself. I use Heinz white distilled vinager in mine because I know that it is from corn. We have a wegmans here that labels all their gluten-free stuff and only a few of the pickles they make have the gluten free label. That is kind of red flag for me. I find when in doubt call is the best, plus sometimes the company will send gluten-free lists and coupons.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

Interesting. I was just reading that mayonnaise can contain gluten, apparently because of the vinegar. So maybe pickles do too. I haven't ever looked since I generally avoid vinegar because it promotes yeast growth.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#8 Aega

Aega

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

I was always told Heinz / French's / Hellmann's brand condiments were safe (because of the way they distill their vinegar). I've used Hellmann's mayo, French's mustard, and Heinz brand pickles, ketchup, & BBQ sauce without problems.

While on the topic of condiments, I called Old El Paso about their salsa, apparently that's gluten free as well. However, Tostito's brand is not (found that out the hard way).

#9 AlexisMM

AlexisMM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

There are some brands of pickles that are fermented and don't contain vinegar of any kind. Bubbie's is one brand that I know of. I find them in health food stores in the refrigerated section. And don't be alarmed by the cloudy brine--it's supposed to be that way. They also have wonderful sauerkraut. Yay Bubbies!

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Please note that this thread is 6 years old. Product info discussed may have changed in 6 years.

Most vinegar is considered safe for Celiacs. The exception is Malt vinegar which contains barley malt.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 mynxr

mynxr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Please note that this thread is 6 years old. Product info discussed may have changed in 6 years.

Most vinegar is considered safe for Celiacs. The exception is Malt vinegar which contains barley malt.

There are a lot of brands of pickles that I can't eat.  I have always been told to stay clear of things that say natural flavors because that can get you into trouble.  I know I react to some dill pickles so not all pickles being safe is still true

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

There are a lot of brands of pickles that I can't eat. I have always been told to stay clear of things that say natural flavors because that can get you into trouble. I know I react to some dill pickles so not all pickles being safe is still true

Once again, you have dredged up a very old thread. There is no reason to believe there is gluten in pickles. I have never seen it. Please explain which brands and perhaps link to the ingredients? Having a " reaction" to something does not mean it has gluten. Perhaps there are spices or just the acid that bothers you?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: