Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Are Dill Pickles Safe To Eat?

12 posts in this topic

Are Kosher dill pickles safe to eat? The jar said they had vingear in it but I am not sure. Please advise. Thank you

Ads by Google:

I have never had any problems but you may be more sensitive than I am. I use Vlasic. Good luck.

Vinegar (with the exception of malt vinegar) is generally accepted as gluten-free. Nevertheless, some people do have problems with vinegar. Malt vinegar will be labelled as such. If it just says vinegar, enjoy!

Thanks for asking that . . . I was wondering it myself. I love Claussen pickles . . . but haven't eaten them since being gluten-free because I was too scared.

Pickles are almost always made with plain old white vinegar, and that's always distilled. I imagine pickles made with malt vinegar would be pretty gross :P

Are Kosher dill pickles safe to eat? The jar said they had vingear in it but I am not sure. Please advise. Thank you

I react to grain vinagers but not to a distilled corn vinager. I usually call the company to find out what they use. Pickles are also easy to make yourself. I use Heinz white distilled vinager in mine because I know that it is from corn. We have a wegmans here that labels all their gluten-free stuff and only a few of the pickles they make have the gluten free label. That is kind of red flag for me. I find when in doubt call is the best, plus sometimes the company will send gluten-free lists and coupons.

Interesting. I was just reading that mayonnaise can contain gluten, apparently because of the vinegar. So maybe pickles do too. I haven't ever looked since I generally avoid vinegar because it promotes yeast growth.

I was always told Heinz / French's / Hellmann's brand condiments were safe (because of the way they distill their vinegar). I've used Hellmann's mayo, French's mustard, and Heinz brand pickles, ketchup, & BBQ sauce without problems.

While on the topic of condiments, I called Old El Paso about their salsa, apparently that's gluten free as well. However, Tostito's brand is not (found that out the hard way).

There are some brands of pickles that are fermented and don't contain vinegar of any kind. Bubbie's is one brand that I know of. I find them in health food stores in the refrigerated section. And don't be alarmed by the cloudy brine--it's supposed to be that way. They also have wonderful sauerkraut. Yay Bubbies!

Please note that this thread is 6 years old. Product info discussed may have changed in 6 years.

Most vinegar is considered safe for Celiacs. The exception is Malt vinegar which contains barley malt.

Please note that this thread is 6 years old. Product info discussed may have changed in 6 years.

Most vinegar is considered safe for Celiacs. The exception is Malt vinegar which contains barley malt.

There are a lot of brands of pickles that I can't eat.  I have always been told to stay clear of things that say natural flavors because that can get you into trouble.  I know I react to some dill pickles so not all pickles being safe is still true

There are a lot of brands of pickles that I can't eat. I have always been told to stay clear of things that say natural flavors because that can get you into trouble. I know I react to some dill pickles so not all pickles being safe is still true

Once again, you have dredged up a very old thread. There is no reason to believe there is gluten in pickles. I have never seen it. Please explain which brands and perhaps link to the ingredients? Having a " reaction" to something does not mean it has gluten. Perhaps there are spices or just the acid that bothers you?