This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Body Pains

murlene

murlene Rookie

Hi, I have been miserable with bottom of my feet pain, lower back pain, hip pain and just feeling achey all over. What can be done about this and is it normal for a person with celiac disease to be so achey all over. I don't get the sleep I need because I am in such pain all the time. Any answers or help would be apreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice
Hi, I have been miserable with bottom of my feet pain, lower back pain, hip pain and just feeling achey all over. What can be done about this and is it normal for a person with celiac disease to be so achey all over. I don't get the sleep I need because I am in such pain all the time. Any answers or help would be apreciated.

This is one of my major symptoms along with insomnia. I am giving up corn and eggs because I tested positive for them on a York test. I'm still having problems sleeping. I take Zoloft and Klonopin. He wanted me to try Trazadone but I sleep all day instead of at night. I was recently glutened from the drywall paste which was being used in our new house. I feel better than I did but still can't get rid of it. I would feel so much better if I could just sleep all night and didn't have the pain. It's sounds like you might have fibromyalgia. Sometimes a small doese of Amitryptiline can help, it helped me when I first went gluten-free. I will ask my MD about it next month, maybe it would help to take it again. Hope you find some answers, you are not alone!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Same here, but at least it's clearing up a bit I think. It was getting better awhile back, then took a nose dive again a few weeks ago :(

From what I've been reading, various organs are all suffering in some ways, partly due to lack of nutrients, and partly due to toxins leaking in from the gut. The more foods I cut out, the better I feel, but the trade-off is energy, hunger, etc.

I've also just read about plastic containers leaching small amounts of substances which might ordinarily not be noticed, but when the gut leaks, more of them get into the blood stream. So I'm probably going to replace any plastic containers with good 'ol glass.

There is a Homeopathic remidy called Open Original Shared Link which I've recently run into, and it sounds like something which may benefit many Celiacs. I'm still hesitant to try it, but it's natural as opposed to the drugs most doctors prescribe.

trents Grand Master

Glutened from the drywall paste being used in your house? Are you serious? Do you mean the fumes or what? I thought gluten had to be ingested to cause Celiacs a problem.

judy05 Apprentice
Glutened from the drywall paste being used in your house? Are you serious? Do you mean the fumes or what? I thought gluten had to be ingested to cause Celiacs a problem.

I was trying to be helpful to the contractors. Every night I swept up the dust which had fallen to the floor. It got in my hair and all over my clothes. I had to shampoo every night and you know what they say, just a little dab will do you. I got so glutened that i was unable to walk to the doctors office. Of course he had no clue, so i got on the board and ravenwoodglass figured it out. I'll always be grateful to her, I thought I was crippled for life! Just remember drywall paste contains GLUTEN!

bluejeangirl Contributor

I remember the worse I've felt was about 10 yrs ago when on vacation in florida. I had joint pain come on out of nowhere. Then the restlessness at night. I concluded it was the sudden change in climates. I went from cold dry air from WI. to humid hot sticky wet weather. I even noticed the wall paper was peeling in the cheap motel room we were at and I looked under it and there was mold growing. I told my dh we had to leave the motel because of the mold problem. He wasn't happy but could see I was miserable. We ended up in a very expensive motel :o but I got better and could finally sleep.

So mold will usually be the culprit in my joint pain and also weepy and tiredness. Which has more to do with candida and leaky gut.

gail

Ursa Major Collaborator

I used to have SEVERE joint and muscle pain, which initially stopped when going gluten-free, but came back three months into the gluten-free diet. I then figured out I am intolerant to ALL lectins (not just gluten). They were causing the joint and back pain (amongst many other things). And I am intolerant to salicylates as well, which caused the muscle pain primarily. I am only speaking of pain here, omitting the million other symptoms.

Foods high in lectins are: All grains (including rice and corn), eggs, dairy, legumes (including soy) and nightshades.

The foods highest in salicylates are: Honey, almost all herbs and spices, nightshades, berries, juices, most nuts. And Aspirin (which is 100% salicylic acid) could put me into anaphylactic shock.

You may want to check out the sites I am linking to in my signature. In my opinion, EVERYBODY with fibromyalgia (or fibro-like symptoms) has intolerances causing the pain, brain fog etc.

I was for years on codeine 24 hours a day for the debilitating pain, which often I had to supplement with extra strength Tylenol, just to manage at all. Even with high doses of painkillers I was still in pain, but had to limit them to be able to think and to drive.

Since going gluten, lectin and salicylate free (and by the way, nightshades are high in both lectins AND salicylates) I don't usually need ANY painkillers any more. Just for the occasional migraine or when eating the wrong things.

Oh, and I react very strongly to mold as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chgomom Enthusiast

----------------

Oh yes, yes and more yes. I am newly diagnosed and yes it is all related. If you a re new to gloing gluten free, part of this I think is because your body is detoxing, or if its been a while, you have all this built up in your body and you may have mineral issues causing bone pain, which if after a couple of weeks does not go away you should have a doc check out.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Ursula, about salicylates, since broccoli and spinach apparently have high amounts, as well as tons of other veggies and fruit, does that mean you can't eat those either? Or have you identified certain types of salicylates as safe for you?

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

You just described what I am going through now. Except I would add a weak and heavy feeling in my legs and arms. I have been hoping it is due to only having gone gluten free 7 weeks ago. All of it just came out of nowhere a week ago. My regular doctor referrred me to a neurologist who says he can't find anything wrong or concerning but is checking my B-12 levels and tyroid. I am thinking it has to be from previous gluten consumption. Today, I am feeling better so hopefully it will pass soon. Good luck.

Sarah

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula, about salicylates, since broccoli and spinach apparently have high amounts, as well as tons of other veggies and fruit, does that mean you can't eat those either? Or have you identified certain types of salicylates as safe for you?

I can eat things like broccoli and spinach only occasionally, if I make sure that for the rest of the day I eat only things with no salicylates at all.

The only fruits I can still eat are peeled pears, peeled golden delicious apples and a banana once a week (don't know why I can't tolerate those). I initially ate pears every day, but developed an allergy to them. So, I avoided ALL fruit for a couple of weeks, and now I can eat a pear once every couple of days or so.

All things that are high in salicylates are unsafe for me, and I can't have them. If I do, I'll get symptoms of bladder infection and pain. Fortunately, that usually only lasts a couple of days.

The only vegetables that contain negligible amounts of salicylates and are therefore safe in any amount are, white/green cabbage, celery, bamboo shoots and rutabaga. Then there are the one I can have in limited amounts, and not too many each day, since it adds up. I go over a certain limit, and I will know!

murlene Rookie

:D

----------------

Oh yes, yes and more yes. I am newly diagnosed and yes it is all related. If you a re new to gloing gluten free, part of this I think is because your body is detoxing, or if its been a while, you have all this built up in your body and you may have mineral issues causing bone pain, which if after a couple of weeks does not go away you should have a doc check out.

Thank you very much, you no I just feel like I should be feeling better instead I feel terrible. The Dr. gave me something for the pain but it only helps alittle. The problem I think is I don't have a Dr. that really understands all the different things that are attributed to gluten. I just feel like no one seems to believe me or take me serious, even people I work with kind of blow me off. I am getting pretty discouraged with this whole mess. I have really been trying hard to do what is right for myself but it's hard when you feel like crude anyway. What are mineral issues?

Archived