This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Help!

Turtle

Felidae Enthusiast

I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner, since I can't use my favorite Aveda products anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BERNESES

Wait!!!!!!! So did we confirm that Giovanni was definitely gluten-free? Jenvan and I were confused as we had seen two conflicting reports on websites featuring their products and I emailed the company and never heard back. Is it definitely gluten-free? If so, I will be SOOOOO psyched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Bev--(LOVE your new picture) I called Giovanni about 2 months ago and was told their whole line of haircare was gluten-free. There are no suspicious ingred. listed on the shampoo or conditioner I've been using, and I've had no problems with them.

Julie and Turtle--I can't get on to the Giovanni website at all! I looked up the info I wanted on another shopping site.

Green12 Enthusiast
Hi Bev--(LOVE your new picture) I called Giovanni about 2 months ago and was told their whole line of haircare was gluten-free. There are no suspicious ingred. listed on the shampoo or conditioner I've been using, and I've had no problems with them.

Julie and Turtle--I can't get on to the Giovanni website at all! I looked up the info I wanted on another shopping site.

Thanks Patti for verifying Giovanni haircare is gluten-free. This gluten-free business gets confusing sometimes :lol:

You have to be up for viewing the website, believe me, it's quite the production, and a little annoying when you are just trying to get some quick info :lol: But if you do have time to waste it is beautifully done. You just click on the logo and it directs you to another page and then it loads forever and ever.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
You have to be up for viewing the website, believe me, it's quite the production, and a little annoying when you are just trying to get some quick info :lol: But if you do have time to waste it is beautifully done. You just click on the logo and it directs you to another page and then it loads forever and ever.

:lol: Oh I always have time to waste, Julie....I checked out the website, yes, quite the production! I found a retailer here in town and I may try it. My hair - - - the most perplexing thing. After everything that's happened, the breakdown I went through and the shock to my body with that and increasing malnutrition, my hair has changed into a creature I don't even know any more! :huh: All crazy and gray and curly and crispity/crunch on the ends.....I hope to God it doesn't stay this way! Am always lookng for things to manage it and make it sily smooth, to no avail! Agh!!!

jenvan Collaborator
OMG, I would have never noticed that. I was just assuming everything was gluten-free. Thanks so much Patti for your detective work!

Edit- I just looked at all the conditioners for dry hair and they all have wheat germ oil in them, poop :(

Yes, not all aubrey products are gluten-free. If you have a question on one, just call and they'll let you know.

Bev, etc: As for Giovanni.... I believe the hair products are gluten-free. The confusion came when I read an article on their new line which is body butters, lotions. I read an article that talked about the formulas using wheat protein I believe. I never confirmed it one way or another however, as I have been using the products. I am e-mailing them right now to ck on the body butters, see if they are gluten-free. I'll let ya'll know for sure...

jerseyangel Proficient

Just want to let everyone know that Wegman's (if you have one nearby) carries Giovanni in the Natural Marketplace section. That's where I bought mine...I love it when I find something locally--hate to have to send for my personal care stuff :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
I thought the same things about the Giovanni website...finally just looked it up on another site. HAHA!

For those of you who use Giovanni products where do you usually buy yours from??? Wasn't sure where they carry them (i.e. grocery stores? drug stores? health food stores??)

Turtle, I have seen Giovanni products at all of my health food stores, I haven't really looked in the main stream groceries or drug stores so I don't know. The website might have a store locator, if you can stand taking the time to visit it again :lol::lol:

:lol: Oh I always have time to waste, Julie....I checked out the website, yes, quite the production! I found a retailer here in town and I may try it. My hair - - - the most perplexing thing. After everything that's happened, the breakdown I went through and the shock to my body with that and increasing malnutrition, my hair has changed into a creature I don't even know any more! :huh: All crazy and gray and curly and crispity/crunch on the ends.....I hope to God it doesn't stay this way! Am always lookng for things to manage it and make it sily smooth, to no avail! Agh!!!

Isn't it a hoot, it really should be up for at least an Academy Award or something :lol::lol:

My hair dresser once told me, "hair is all about the hormones", so it makes sense that your hair changed with all of your stress and health issues. Mine changed too, but even if it didn't I still think I will be spending the rest of my life searching far and wide for hair products that make me happy :lol:

Sounds like the Giovanni Smooth As Silk one might fit the bill for you, if you try it let us know how you like it.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
My hair dresser once told me, "hair is all about the hormones", so it makes sense that your hair changed with all of your stress and health issues. Mine changed too, but even if it didn't I still think I will be spending the rest of my life searching far and wide for hair products that make me happy :lol:

And don't you just wander the aisles, and the websites, and look at magazine ads and think, I just KNOW there's that one Holy Grail of hair products that is the solution to my hair.....WHERE IS IT?? Which one?? OH magic bottle of perfect hair elixir, just throw yourself at me from your perch on the shelf, so I will know you are THE ONE! :rolleyes:

Guest BERNESES
And don't you just wander the aisles, and the websites, and look at magazine ads and think, I just KNOW there's that one Holy Grail of hair products that is the solution to my hair.....WHERE IS IT?? Which one?? OH magic bottle of perfect hair elixir, just throw yourself at me from your perch on the shelf, so I will know you are THE ONE! :rolleyes:

SOOOO True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure that I saw it recently at Rite Aid (Giovanni that is)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
SOOOO True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure that I saw it recently at Rite Aid (Giovanni that is)

NO WAY! Rite Aid? I will check. On their website they listed just one retailer in this town - I will make the trek if Rite Aid doesn't produce....

Guest BERNESES

It was a Rite Aid in Camden, Maine which is kind of a foo-foo shi-shi Rite Aid. I was pretty surprised too!!!! I know my local grocery store sells it, but it's not a chain.

jenvan Collaborator

Ha ha! :lol: I am telling ya'll that Rosa Mosqueta rocks :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Ha ha! :lol: I am telling ya'll that Rosa Mosqueta rocks :)

Jen - what is Rosa Mosqueta and will it control the wildness of my rather pubic-like grays ( :ph34r: sorry but that's what they kind of are) that are coming in??? :rolleyes:

chris hudson Newbie

Paul mitchell freeze and shine super spray is gluten free. They will email anyone wanting to know thier complete wheat and gluten free list.

Guest BERNESES
Jen - what is Rosa Mosqueta and will it control the wildness of my rather pubic-like grays ( :ph34r: sorry but that's what they kind of are) that are coming in??? :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what the ones I'm getting look like too! We must be about the same age! I love the Rosa Mosqueta shampoo too- it's got really good organic oils in it. Caution- many of these great organic products make bathtub slippery so just be careful. The RM made my hair look and smell really good!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what the ones I'm getting look like too! We must be about the same age! I love the Rosa Mosqueta shampoo too- it's got really good organic oils in it. Caution- many of these great organic products make bathtub slippery so just be careful. The RM made my hair look and smell really good!

:lol::lol: Bev - I think you're younger, your hair still looks great (I'm 44)....

where do I get this Rosa Mosqueta?? Need it TODAY!! Will it make my hair greasy?

Guest BERNESES

i'm almost 39!!!!! I get it at my local health food store. The only grease is in the tub. Ooh- and at first it seems really strange because it doesn't lather the same way that chemically shampoos do. Try it- you'll like it!!!!!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I'd love to try this, but I need conditioner! Do you use it alone, and is it enough? I wouldn't mind simplifying things!

Green12 Enthusiast
I'd love to try this, but I need conditioner! Do you use it alone, and is it enough? I wouldn't mind simplifying things!

I'm in the same boat Patti, I need conditioner, but would be interested to hear if it is super moisturizing enough to go without....knowing my hair though I will still need conditioner.

And Susan and Berneses, I would have never guessed your ages, I thought you both were in your early 30s.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
And Susan and Berneses, I would have never guessed your ages, I thought you both were in your early 30s.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Many many extra gold stars for you today Julie!!! But if you saw me up close.....and right now, with gray roots.... :ph34r:

jenvan Collaborator

Ha ha! :lol: Tame those pube hairs already Susan! :lol::lol: That's a good question! It makes my hair look shiny, healthier and gives me great volume. Read below... Helps reduce dryness and brittleness--which is what the gray hair can be like. Might be worth a try ! Good luck with those :P (Do you ever use conditioners? That might help a bit. I use Giovanni's Smooth as Silk conditioner...its not really heavy.)

Keep your true color shining through. Enhance your hair's natural beauty with this vitamin-rich moisturizing shampoo. Gentle formula helps remove chlorine and impurities that can cause dryness, brittleness and fading. Vital nutrients help protect natural and color-treated hair for increased vitality and shine. Safe for color-treated hair.

FEATURES BENEFITS

Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Oil

Moisturizer & nutrient; improves hair texture

Organic Corn Syrup

Rinses away discoloring chlorine & minerals

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought the same thing--you both look so much younger in your pictures! Bev, I was actually going to ask you if you happened to know my niece who lives in Portsmouth. She's almost 27, and you looked to be closer to her age! :D

DingoGirl Enthusiast
(Do you ever use conditioners? That might help a bit. I use Giovanni's Smooth as Silk conditioner...its not really heavy.)

[

:lol: but the pubes are so hard to tame! I am slathering things on constantly....oh and the other thing, all the new hairs that grew in? They are now about two inches long or more, and they're just sticking out all over the place. Kind of a scary phase! :blink:

I use the BEST conditioner of all - get it at Sally's, L'Oreal Nature's Therapy in a big tub, leave it on for 30 min. or so, my favorite and the tub lasts about a year!

Must run.....health food store and Home Depot! :)

Guest BERNESES
I thought the same thing--you both look so much younger in your pictures! Bev, I was actually going to ask you if you happened to know my niece who lives in Portsmouth. She's almost 27, and you looked to be closer to her age! :D

WE LOVE YOU!!! AND JULIEM TOO!!!!!!

Patti- email me or PM me your niece's name. I know lots of people much younger than me :P

Aubrey makes Rosa Mosqueta conditioner too, right? I can't go without conditioning my hair.

I use Neutogena Smooth Silk (I think that's the name) serum too. It's got sweet almond oil in it and will tame those pubes. :P

Actually that word used to bother me so much (pubes) that when I spent a semester away, one of my roomies from back here cut off a lock of her curly hair, put it in an envelope with a yello post-it that said "Pubes" on it and that was enough to make me pee my pants laughing. I'm over it now; I think :ph34r:

Archived