This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Being Glutened!

romeo77

romeo77 Rookie

Hey there peoples

I have been fairly well since my last posts in early 06 after defeating a helicobacter stomach infection on top of celiac healing..

I Have had a strict 0% gluten diet and have been fairly well over last few months, i just feel i have received several glutenings at my girlfriends place just over a week ago... i keep getting a nauseous / quivering feeling where i think im about to throwup, ive honestly never had that before , its revolting... sure ive had diareohea/bowel problems but this is more stomach felt and behind the ribs...

my main question is that if a celiac is glutened can symptoms last for over a week? and also does the glutening damage and inflame his/her stomach ? or is it something your over with after two days or so..

i dont know whether to put it down to my gluten poisening and just think , dont worry your stomachs been damaged just chill out and cope with it... or go to the doctors and get a blood / sample test ...

any help much appreciated guys!!!

cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I have heard other people on here talk about being sick for a week or more after being glutened. And if there were several in a short period of time, it would make sense to me that you'd be looking at a longer recovery time.

Maybe you could keep some gluten-free only cooking items at your girlfriend's place?

Nancy

Ursa Major Collaborator

My stomach definitely gets inflamed when glutened. I doubt that you need a doctor, you just need to wait it out, don't eat anything that would be hard on your stomach for a bit, avoid gluten, and you'll be fine.

And yes, you can have symptoms from ONE glutening for two weeks, never mind several in a row.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hey there peoples

I have been fairly well since my last posts in early 06 after defeating a helicobacter stomach infection on top of celiac healing..

I Have had a strict 0% gluten diet and have been fairly well over last few months, i just feel i have received several glutenings at my girlfriends place just over a week ago... i keep getting a nauseous / quivering feeling where i think im about to throwup, ive honestly never had that before , its revolting... sure ive had diareohea/bowel problems but this is more stomach felt and behind the ribs...

my main question is that if a celiac is glutened can symptoms last for over a week? and also does the glutening damage and inflame his/her stomach ? or is it something your over with after two days or so..

i dont know whether to put it down to my gluten poisening and just think , dont worry your stomachs been damaged just chill out and cope with it... or go to the doctors and get a blood / sample test ...

any help much appreciated guys!!!

cheers

Yea unfortunately it can last a while. I found that PeptoBismal helped me a bit with this.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I got glutened at my moms 80th birthday party, it lasted about 9 days!

hope you feel better soon

jknnej Collaborator

I use Zofran or Phenegran when I am so nauseated that it affects my work...as a teacher I can't go home early very easily! You can get these from you dr. Only take Phenegran if you can sleep...it makes you sleepy but definitely makes the nausea go away.

If it doesn't clear up in a few weeks then I would see a dr but for now you probably just need to wait it out and be more careful of what you eat. I think I tend to get careless and then if I get glutened I am more picky about what I eat!

Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...
jesscarmel Enthusiast

hi

i read on this site that zofran is not gluten free. just thought i would let you know. it was a thread about pregnancy.

Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I get the nausea and feelings of wanting to throw up when gluttened. I take Dramamine and sometimes pepto bismol too if it is bad. Dramamine works great for me and they have a less drowsy formula.

I am still trying to figure out how long it lasts for me, but at least 3-4 days.

Monica

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I am an old pro at this--5 yrs gluten free this month. Yeah, it can last 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks and when the nausea and diarrhea go away for me, then my tummy hurts, like a huge black and blue for days. It's never fun being glutened and it will happen from time to time. Take care. Deb

Archived