This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Else Have Cravings?

jabberwife

queenofhearts Explorer

Protein cravings would be a terrific change for me as I really have no "appetite" for protein & have to consciously remind myself to include enough in my diet.

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast

I crave popcorn. I had some the other night----shouldn't have. LLee

Green12 Enthusiast
I ALWAYS crave avocados. Especially guacamole!

Leah

This latter issue is the one that worries me. Since going gluten-free, I find I'm craving AND eating even MORE starchy foods than I did in wheaty days. I'm not sure if it is some sort of subconscious attempt to re-gluten myself... none of these starches have gluten, but they are often things that would have had wheat in them before. I always liked starchy food, ate a lot of "healthy" grains, but a reasonable balance. Now I find I'm really going overboard, having a hard time stopping. I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks now, & it doesn't seem to be stopping. Anyone else have this experience? Or have any insights about what's going on?

Leah

I found after going gluten-free that the more starchy stuff I ate, the more I wanted to eat it, especially the gluten-free packaged/processed stuff. What worked for me is making sure my meals were balanced with a small serving of starchy vegetable or whole grain (i.e. 1/2 c.), a palm sized portion of protein and vegetables, and a little fat. Eating this way normalized everything fo rme.

Tychsar Newbie

I can definitely relate! I was diagnosed in October 05. I have been eating everything under the sun and craving carbs carbs carbs. How I can do this diet without gaining athousand pounds is beyond me.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I crave hotdogs that have been grilled and slightly burned. I found the applegate hotdogs and they are great! However I found these gluten free buns and they were terrible :blink: So it sort of ruined the expirence for me. I just ate it plain. I don't miss bread so much as I miss the buns that were soft and pliable for hotdogs and brats. Oh and hamburger buns I miss to.

gail

kabowman Explorer

I ate very few carbs before going gluten-free, now they make up about 1/2 my diet - not good. Right after going gluten-free, I craved sweets but couldn't eat them due to the yeast and corn thing so I ate extra salt and extra potatoes. I am finally off the salt kick - luckily I have always had low blood pressure otherwise I might have gone a little bonkers.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Am I missing something in my diet? Since going gluten-free, I have been craving candy and chocolate, and never used to have a sweet tooth. I imagine my body is freaking about about the reduction in refined carbs in general, but oddly enough, I'm not craving bread, but gum drops and jelly beans and the like! This definitely doesn't do much for the waistline when I indulge! Ideas? I am not the BEST at maintaining a healthy diet, but what I might be missing in food intake I make up for with a daily multivitamin.

i crave so bad i almost think im pregnant ( that with the bloating gets you paranoid). usually its chocolate biscuits to dunk in my tea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I such a major craving for pizza last week. Ugh! Getting glutened last week made me rethink eating a bite of it though. I don't want to do that again! I must find a good dough recipe.

num1habsfan Rising Star
I crave hotdogs that have been grilled and slightly burned. I found the applegate hotdogs and they are great! However I found these gluten free buns and they were terrible :blink: So it sort of ruined the expirence for me. I just ate it plain. I don't miss bread so much as I miss the buns that were soft and pliable for hotdogs and brats. Oh and hamburger buns I miss to.

gail

Have you ever tried the buns from Kinnikinnick??

Speaking of cravings, today I have a craving for donuts and pizza. I think I'm gonna make a pizza like this, even tho it appears uncooked in the photo lol .. and eat one of my maple-dipped donuts :P

~lisa~

Girl Ninja Newbie

Munchkinette - I tried this recipe last week and my family totally loved it. I found it in a different forum and I don't know who it originated with. It was really satisfying. The commentary isn't mine. I copied it along with the recipe. I did my own with 2 medium eggs at 400 for 20 min and I thought it was fine.

Pizza Crust

you take 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup dry), mix with 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1 (or 2) eggs, mush it out onto a pizza pan, make a lip around the edge to hold in the toppings and bake for 18-20 minutes (I think it was at 375 degress). Then add your toppings and bake or broil until your toppings are the way you like (I like the cheese to brown a little). I baked mine at 450 for 20 minutes before topping. Then 15 minutes after topping. It was still a little too soft in the middle, but absolutely delicious. This might work better in personal sized pizzas.

Archived