Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Florida

5 posts in this topic

I believe that my sister (samking72 on here :) ) has celiac. She is going on the gluten-free diet to see if she feels any better. Is there anyone in the Orlando area that can help her out like:

where good supermarkets are located

where there are good places to eat etc.

I would be doing this but I live all the way in NY. Thanks everyone :)

Amanda NY

HI SAM!

Ads by Google:

Hi Amanda! Thanks for trying to help me! Unfortunatly, I have been feeling better. Alot better. Almost like a new person! Talk to you soon, miss you! p.s. I read that Mama's in Oakdale was closed for repairs :(

In Orlando have her try Seasons 52. They have a gluten free menu, don't serve bread but offer low cal. healthy gourmet dining. They will open in Perimeter and Buckhead in Atlanta this year.

I'm in Sebastian. Some of the Publix supermarkets have a fair selection of gluten-free foods, but they are spreadout throughout the store. Wild Oats in Melbourne has a good selection (and a gluten free product list that you can pull down from their web site) - and they just opened a new store in Tampa. P.F. Changs is located at the Mall at Millenia (Conroy road, O-Town) and in Winter Park (and Tampa, and Jax, and . . . ). Flemings Steakhouse is in Winter Park. Carrabba's Italian Grill has a couple locations in Orlando, plus Kissimmee, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs . . . . All of these restaurants have gluten-free menus.

Thank you everyone for your input :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi lolobaggins, Yes, it is not unusual to have symptoms that come and go after going gluten-free.  Edema (swelling) can also be a symptom of an allergic reaction.  Fatigue is not fun but remember your body is trying to heal a major organ, your gut.  So some rest might be a good idea.  The immune system response is going to keep going for several weeks to several months.  Each little bit of gluten kicks the immune response off again and extends the healing time.  So it's helpful to be very careful with your diet. Meats, vegetable, and nuts are good foods to eat at the beginning.  And whole foods rather than processed foods.  Dairy is often a problem until the villi are healed.  After a few weeks if things are going well you can try to add one new food a week and see how things go.  But take it slow and easy.  The fewer foods/ingredients we are eating the easier it is to identify problem foods. Welcome to the forum!
    • Welcome to the club that you never wanted to join!  (I plagiarized that from someone else here but can't recall who so I can't give credit to them.) Anyway, there is a steep learning curve to being gluten free.  It takes time to learn to read labels.  It takes time to heal (like months to YEARS).  Symptoms can wax or wane.  You just have to keep moving forward.  Give yourself time to heal and do not worry about the gym right now.  It will come back later, I promise (from a gal who cycles, swims, and runs).   Read our Newbie 101 section pinned at the top of the "Coping" section.  It contains valuable tips about cross contamination and hidden sources of gluten.  Read, read, read, the internet from reliable sources (not crazy bloggers).   You will feel better soon.  
    • Ha!    That happens to me all the time!!!!!  It drives me crazy!
    • "Accidentally marked them soy free".  Are you kidding?  That's fraud!  Consumer Reports just issued a huge report this month on supplements.   Yes, everyone thinks they are all "natural" and therefore safe.  Doctors and nurses recommend them all the time, but they can do a lot of damage.  Anyone can start making them in their bathroom and there's literally no regulation.   Geez, it is safer to buy food products (no gluten ingredients listed) from companies like Kraft and ConAgra because they are regulated more!  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2016/09/index.htm What about the probiotics?  Columbia University tested about 20 of them and found that over half had gluten in them.....enough to make celiacs  remain sick. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150515083232.htm Think twice about taking supplements.  Make sure you really medically need supplements.  I prefer certified gluten-free if I need to take them and I take nothing right now because all my labs are okay!  You have been on the gluten-free bandwagon for many years (member here for years).  Your doctors should be looking at other things that might be making you sick still.  Something is wrong!   That's my two cents!    
    • Hi Schlafentzug, The usual diagnosis process is a blood test for antibodies first, followed up by an endoscopy to check for gut damage.  You have to eat gluten for 12 weeks before the blood tests. It sounds like your brother may have celiac disease also.  His gut lining villi were damaged by something, and villi flattening  is a common celiac disease indicator.  Being shorter than other family members is also a common indicator. The excessive gas is probably from bad digestion.  The gut damage interferes with proper digestion and some enzymes aren't made.  Lactase is made by the villi in the gut. You should definitely get tested and before going gluten-free IMHO.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Diana061