Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Else Have Trouble With gluten-free Breads?

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

#1 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

I seem to be getting a stomach ache every time I eat gluten-free/dairy free breads, muffins cookies etc..anyone else?
~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Yes, for me it seems to be the large quantities of tapioca starch that does it.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 letter2elise

letter2elise

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

I had a problem with Gluten Free breads for several years. I got to the point where I would avoid them all together. Not to mention they taste terrible!
I have found a wonderful new brand that I have been using for a couple of months. I LOVE IT! My Daughter prefers it over regular bread and my family members say it tastes like normal bread.

visit charlottesbakery.com

The rice bread is AMAZING! They have a couple other flavors that are good too, but I like the rice the very best. SHipping can get rather expensive, so contact the company and see if they have any stores near you that sell their product.

Good luck!
Mother of 3 small children. My oldest is 3 and youngest is 1 month. Life is busy!
Diagnosed with Celiac in 2001, at the age of 21, after being sick all my life.
Allergic to Blackberries
Lactose Intolerant since age 4
Have adapted to my new way of life and am healthier than ever! Being diagnosed has been one of the greatest blessings in my life.

#4 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

thank you both, its almost like its too heavy.
I just had a gluten-free english muffin because I had to eat something before I start the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow :blink: scared to death!!
~Betty

#5 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

I discovered a problem with the gluten-free breads (I went a little crazy baking and cooking all the breads and muffins I could find when I first switched over) and found out my problem was not a bread issue but a yeast issue.

I am not saying that you have that problem, only that I did. I like the Chebe breads which help but not great for sandwhiches.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

I can't eat gluten free bread because I am intolerant to rice, corn, soy and potatoes as well (and can't tolerate starches of any kind well). There could be lots of different reasons why you can't tolerate it. Really, you need to test all the ingredients separately.

When I tried that, I got an immediate reaction to tapioca (burning tongue). The reactions to the other ingredients aren't immediate, since they're stomach or gut reactions.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

I don't eat them any more, either because I am intolerant to all the grains that I've tried, and also to tapioca. Ursula--I don't get burning, but tapioca makes my mouth very dry as soon as I begin chewing it. It also causes me stomach upset. I tried The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread (mix) as it has few ingredients--no dairy, soy, or tapioca. I still couldn't tolerate it, but you might. Have you tried this one, Betty? It's also possible that you could be intolerant to grains or tapioca. Don't you just love being a food detective :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

I can't do potatoes too often so a lot of gluten free breads are off limits for me because of that. I do sometimes eat gluten free bread and cakes that are made with just rice and corn though. Althought I really prefer rice cakes, I must be the only person in the world who really likes them. :D :D :D

Pauliina

#9 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

I don't eat them any more, either because I am intolerant to all the grains that I've tried, and also to tapioca. Ursula--I don't get burning, but tapioca makes my mouth very dry as soon as I begin chewing it. It also causes me stomach upset. I tried The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread (mix) as it has few ingredients--no dairy, soy, or tapioca. I still couldn't tolerate it, but you might. Have you tried this one, Betty? It's also possible that you could be intolerant to grains or tapioca. Don't you just love being a food detective :D

first let me thank you all for the impute :D

hi patty, I bought the gluten-free pantry white bread mix last week, I'm going to try it this weekend, so I'll see if it sits any better, all the ones I've tried so far feel like I ate a rock!
~Betty

#10 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

Have you folks tried sorghum breads? That's my favorite bread flour so far. I've experimented with several flour blends, but find the sorghum is the key ingredient. I don't know how well it would work for those of you with other sensitivities, but it might be worth a try.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#11 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

I've made bread with buckwheat flour, too.
Nothing

#12 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

Interesting, I find that sorghum makes me feel like crap!

#13 charmaine broxton

charmaine broxton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

thank you both, its almost like its too heavy.
I just had a gluten-free english muffin because I had to eat something before I start the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow :blink: scared to death!!

Don't worry a colonoscopy isn't that bad. I had one about 2 weeks ago. I got sedated so it wasn't too bad.xxx

#14 wozzy

wozzy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

I find that some brands make me feel not-so-great, but the brown rice bread from Whole Foods is OK.

I really like the um I think it's enjoy life bread that's really springy (it tastes like eating a sponge, but in a good way) but it seems to make me a little sick so I don't eat it anymore.

#15 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Don't you just love being a food detective :D

:lol: :lol:

I also react to a lot of the gluten-free breads/baked goods. I don't tolerate the alternative grains very well and other substitute ingredients. I can get away with eating them once in a blue moon, but I never could eat them everyday or several days a week even.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: