This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Have Trouble With gluten-free Breads?

ebrbetty

Guest southgoingzax

I was terrified too, of getting a colonoscopy. I told my doctor to mske sure I was completely out, not just mildly sedated. As soon as I woke up I got the heck out of there! Now that it's over, it doesn't seem that dramatic, but beforehand I thought I was going to die from nerves and well, yes, embarrassment. So, you'll survive - it wont be that bad.

In regards to the bread - everyone here has a good point - it could be any one of the ingredients causing the issue. I am sensitive to fructose, so too much of that in a bread can give me DH, and I'm allergic to dairy and eggs and soy, so I have to find breads without those ingredients. I know there are some mixes out there made of fava, garbanzo bean, and/or mesquite flour - you may have to do some searching, but those might be alternatives.

zax

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitball Explorer

I have had problems with brown rice breads, with fruit juice. I can't remember the name of it. I ate some yesterday and it burned my throat. Kind of a wierd experience.

Mia H Explorer
My fave so far is the 4-flour bread in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, using the sesame variation & replacing all sugar with molasses. It isn't all sorghum, just one of the ingredients, but it seems to make a big difference.

Leah

I looked at this recipe and it has tapioca flour in it. In fact ALL of Bette's recipes for bread do that I have ever seen. Does anyone know of a good replacement for tapioca?

Mia

queenofhearts Explorer
I looked at this recipe and it has tapioca flour in it. In fact ALL of Bette's recipes for bread do that I have ever seen. Does anyone know of a good replacement for tapioca?

Mia

Sorry, I'd forgotten that this thread was supposed to be tapioca-free too. I'm not sure about the tapioca substitute, but I did find this sorghum bread with no tapioca. Haven't tried it myself but you might want to give it a go. Meanwhile I'll do some research on the tapioca.

Open Original Shared Link

Leah

penguin Community Regular

I use cornstarch to replace the tapioca starch in flour blends, and so far it works just fine :)

Annalise Roberts reccommended to use arrowroot starch in place of tapioca.

queenofhearts Explorer
I use cornstarch to replace the tapioca starch in flour blends, and so far it works just fine :)

Annalise Roberts reccommended to use arrowroot starch in place of tapioca.

I knew I remembered seeing a substitute somewhere, but couldn't remember what it was! Thanks, Chelsea!

Leah

skbird Contributor

That's funny, I was just mixing up the four flour blend yesterday - using arrowroot instead of cornstarch. So if I was sensitive to tapioca, then I'd be using a lot of arrowroot! I thought the arrowroot was interesting, has a scent to it which I've never noticed before as I've only used small amounts of it in recipes. I'm looking forward to making bread with this mix - I haven't had a good gluten free bread since Manna from Anna which I had to stop eating because of the corn (yeah, there are corn-free versions, too, but they have potato, which I can't have).

The only time I miss bread is also the hamburger/hot dog thing. My favorite bread product is Whole Foods pizza crusts - I don't think they have tapioca in them, but I could be wrong. Hard to believe I found something with no corn or potato! Mmmmmm....

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mia H Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was so bummed, I was really excited to make Bette's egg noodles for some comfort food-chicken noodle soup, and bought ALL the flours ($23 worth), then found out I could eat the tapioca :(

Mia

cjjolly Newbie

Hi:

I've been wanting to post my experiences here with Whole Foods Bread and Pizza Crust products. They taste fantastic, but every time I ate them I got D immediately after--not a major gluten reaction but very annoying nonetheless.

I wrote to Whole Foods and told them how disappointed I was with their product--that they must have some gluten in these products somewhere because I am not sensitive to anything on the label. They sent me a very thoughtful reply and I think the information is something everyone here should know. Apparently the US standard for "gluten-free" is 5 parts per million gluten and that the Whole Foods products adhere to this standard. In Canada it is zero parts per million. They suggested to me that I am perhaps very sensitive to gluten, thus reacting to the "5 parts per million". They also tried to suggest that it is something else within the bread. I don't think so because I make my own bread using most of the ingredients listed and have never had a reaction to the home-baked bread.

Guest Robbin

Thanks for that info cjjolly. I suspect that is the case with me as well. Some products immediately give me a reaction and other products with the same ingredients, no problems. Maybe it is the difference in

government allowances. I wish it were internationally standardized.

daffadilly Apprentice

yes, I cannot eat any of that stuff. It gives me a stomach ache & from there the symptoms are varied and last from a day or two to a week. So it was not hard to not eat them. I think all those grains are cross contaminated.

If I really want something like a banana bread I make it using almond flour.

Mia H Explorer
yes, I cannot eat any of that stuff. It gives me a stomach ache & from there the symptoms are varied and last from a day or two to a week. So it was not hard to not eat them. I think all those grains are cross contaminated.

If I really want something like a banana bread I make it using almond flour.

That sounds yummy, do you have a recipe?

Mia

Archived