Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Else Have Trouble With gluten-free Breads?

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

#16 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

I don't feel the greatest with alot of the popular gluten free breads. For me its the yeast and potato starch. I do ok with a millet/flax bread I get at my local health food store. I don't over do it either. I don't have the web site available but its from Sami's bakery and its located in Florida.

gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

if its not one food its another :blink:

thanks for the support on the colonoscopy :D
~Betty

#18 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

The breads with fruit juice are heavy and ok tasting, but I just don't have any desire to eat them. There is no way I can finish a whole loaf before it goes bad, so it's too expensive. I forgot the name of the kind that looks like a real loaf of white bread, but it's made with corn- it recommends that you toast it-it's ok, but it makes me bloated and gassy, so I choose not to eat that either. The corn muffin mixes are ok, but they are so crumbly and I have to douse them with spray butter and jam to eat them. I really only crave bread when my boyfriend eats hot dogs or sausages with buns!

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#19 Guest_lynnacim_*

Guest_lynnacim_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

[quote name='Ursula' date='Jul 11 2006, 01:19 PM' post='165195']
I can't eat gluten free bread because I am intolerant to rice, corn, soy and potatoes as well (and can't tolerate starches of any kind well). There could be lots of different reasons why you can't tolerate it. Really, you need to test all the ingredients separately.

When I tried that, I got an immediate reaction to tapioca (burning tongue). The reactions to the other ingredients aren't immediate, since they're stomach or gut reactions.
[/quote

Ursula, I've never posted so I hope this is correct. I'm just beginning a gluten free diet to see if it resolves my long history of malabsorption,burping, burning,constipation/diarrhea etc. I have been eating a lot of the gluten free products for a couple of years because I found out I did better without wheat. Then nothing seemed to work(stressful period also in life). For about 2 years as I became worse my tongue also began burning. You have me wondering about the tapioca. How did you find this out? Do other foods also cause the burning as well? Also how did you find out all the foods you were allergic to, an allergist? Thanks, Lynn

#20 graindamage

graindamage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

I don't have any problems with the gluten-free bread, but I get the same symptoms when I eat corn as I do gluten.

It seems as if, for many, grains should be avoid 100% of the time. I feel best when I eat fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

#21 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

I generally avoid the gluten free breads and treats, they do not agree with me and although the effect is not as bad as being glutened it's bad enough. It is only once a month or so that I have some gluten free toast and I haven't found a rice bread that I really like anyways. Home made treats are definitely superior, they taste better and I feel better when I eat them but I can't do them often.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am ill and it will take time to recover and that I need to be very gentle with my digestion, it is just not up to too many sweets.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#22 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

wow, i thought it was just me about gluten-free breads, i too have a small reaction when i eat gluten-free bread, i thought it may be that i had a reaction to some other ingriedient but thought i was being paranoid but i must have, reading the posts here ive come to the point where i think i have to get tested for something else that is makeing me ill. thanx.
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

#23 HAPPY DOG SUZ

HAPPY DOG SUZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

Have you folks tried sorghum breads? That's my favorite bread flour so far. I've experimented with several flour blends, but find the sorghum is the key ingredient. I don't know how well it would work for those of you with other sensitivities, but it might be worth a try.

Leah

Aloha,
C B) Can you please post your favorite sorghum bread recipe? Thanks

#24 sspitzer5

sspitzer5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:38 PM

I seem to be getting a stomach ache every time I eat gluten-free/dairy free breads, muffins cookies etc..anyone else?

I have a problem with gluten-free breads because of an egg allergy. Many of the breads have eggs, although not all. Maybe there's another allergy involved.

S

#25 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

Aloha,
C B) Can you please post your favorite sorghum bread recipe? Thanks

My fave so far is the 4-flour bread in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, using the sesame variation & replacing all sugar with molasses. It isn't all sorghum, just one of the ingredients, but it seems to make a big difference.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#26 Guest_southgoingzax_*

Guest_southgoingzax_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:21 PM

I was terrified too, of getting a colonoscopy. I told my doctor to mske sure I was completely out, not just mildly sedated. As soon as I woke up I got the heck out of there! Now that it's over, it doesn't seem that dramatic, but beforehand I thought I was going to die from nerves and well, yes, embarrassment. So, you'll survive - it wont be that bad.

In regards to the bread - everyone here has a good point - it could be any one of the ingredients causing the issue. I am sensitive to fructose, so too much of that in a bread can give me DH, and I'm allergic to dairy and eggs and soy, so I have to find breads without those ingredients. I know there are some mixes out there made of fava, garbanzo bean, and/or mesquite flour - you may have to do some searching, but those might be alternatives.

zax

#27 whitball

whitball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have had problems with brown rice breads, with fruit juice. I can't remember the name of it. I ate some yesterday and it burned my throat. Kind of a wierd experience.
Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006
Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)
Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004
Hysterectomy 2003
3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions
Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

#28 Mia H

Mia H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:25 AM

My fave so far is the 4-flour bread in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, using the sesame variation & replacing all sugar with molasses. It isn't all sorghum, just one of the ingredients, but it seems to make a big difference.

Leah

I looked at this recipe and it has tapioca flour in it. In fact ALL of Bette's recipes for bread do that I have ever seen. Does anyone know of a good replacement for tapioca?

Mia

#29 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:09 AM

I looked at this recipe and it has tapioca flour in it. In fact ALL of Bette's recipes for bread do that I have ever seen. Does anyone know of a good replacement for tapioca?

Mia

Sorry, I'd forgotten that this thread was supposed to be tapioca-free too. I'm not sure about the tapioca substitute, but I did find this sorghum bread with no tapioca. Haven't tried it myself but you might want to give it a go. Meanwhile I'll do some research on the tapioca.

http://www.peter-tho...ghum_bread.html

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#30 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

I use cornstarch to replace the tapioca starch in flour blends, and so far it works just fine :)

Annalise Roberts reccommended to use arrowroot starch in place of tapioca.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: