8 replies to this topic

#1 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:16 PM

Has anyone had this procedure? Just curious. I am most likely having it done this month to try to find out why I am still malabsorbing after being on a strick gluten free diet for 1 year. It would be cool to talk with someone who has had success with it. It is a very new procedure.

http://www.ccjm.org/...ILES/Ali504.pdf

Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dana_g

dana_g

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

Wow, Lisa, just curious, where are you having this done? It's so new, I didn't think too many places did it. My brother-in-law had it done in NYC and said it was a pretty cool experience, not a big deal. Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly and they can figure out what the problem is.
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#3 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

You might check out this IBS forum, here is a thread about this procedure from a recipient's perspective, she posted from the day she swallowed the pill until the test was completed;

http://www.ibsgroup....c;f=16;t=001765

And here's another discussion about it;

http://www.ibsgroup....c;f=28;t=000500

Good luck!

#4 wildones

wildones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

My husband's GI dr does them and so does our peds GI dr, but only for basic screening type colonoscopies though. They do them as initial type screening to see if any further investigating needs to be done. I don't see how they could really be of much use in an endocopy proceedure, because you can't really tell anything by just looking without actually taking biopsies right ?
Our peds GI dr also does the vitual colonoscopies as initial type screening when there is a family history of colon cancer/colon polyps like my husband's family has.
Lorraine

#5 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:07 PM

Cool. Thank you for all of the replies. I am having it done at Stanford and I will check out the links that you sent. I have already had two biopsy and a VCE takes about 8,000 pictures over the course of 8 hours or so. The doctors are hoping that it will provide more answers to my malabsorption. Thanks, Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV

#6 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

By the way, Lisa, my brother-in-law got a video of it! Why don't you have us all over for some gluten-free snacks and we'll watch it with you? I'll bring the popcorn & gluten-free beer!
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#7 nickra

nickra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:29 PM

I don't see how they could really be of much use in an endocopy proceedure, because you can't really tell anything by just looking without actually taking biopsies right ?

Hello!
My consultant could tell from looking during the biopsy that I didnt have ceoliac. I think sometimes it can be totally obvious one way or another - but in most cases they need to check with the biopsies.

he still did the biopsies to make sure obviosly (I didnt go through all that for him to guess!!!!)

I saw an endoscopy on the telly (city hospital, London) where he was a definate ceoliac and the dr could tell for sure, just needed the biopsy to confirm - which it did.

I have no idea how they can tell...just looked like pink wobbly stuff to me :rolleyes:

Fascinating to hear about the new procedure, would love to know how you get on.

Cheers, Nicky

#8 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

I was going to have this done at Johns Hopkins as a follow up after being gluten-free for 6 months, but I was still not feeling well, and the Dr. said no. He told me a capsule endo. was just not good enough to collect the information he would need on a patient with Celiac. I guess every drs. opinion is different!

#9 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:44 PM

Hey all, thanks for all of your replies. I have had 2 biopsies - both confirming Celiacs - but since I am still malabosrbing - they need more information. There is still inflamation, and somewhat flattened villi. Basically, they are hoping with the VCE that they will be able to RULE out other possible diseases such as Chrons, etc., while also finding out more about the malabsoption. I am willing to do anything to bypass having 3 - 4 inron infusions per year (1 gram divided over 8 does * every 4 months!)
Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: