This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing Question

Melzo

Melzo Rookie

Hello all!

Well, I am at that point already where I have to get the glucose testing done for gestational diabetes - and was wondering if anyone knew if the stuff you have to drink - is it gluten free? I'm sure it's something similar to sugar water but I just want to make sure. Many of you have been through this already and I trust you over the people who are giving me the test!!

The anemia I am just plain worried about for some reason. I worry that I will have it or get it just because I have to be so darn negative all the time and think that the worse is going to happen. This pregnancy is just going too smoothly. Is that possible????

The Rhogam is a shot that I need to get because I am RH Negative. I am praying that I will not have a reaction to that as well.

If any of you know about these tests or medications, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Melanie

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Anya78 Explorer

I can only answer the question about the glucose test....the orange drink I had was gluten free. Not sure if there are other brands of it that would be different.

Good luck with your pregnancy! I'm in the last week or two (hopefully not longer!) of mine.

Anya

Hello all!

Well, I am at that point already where I have to get the glucose testing done for gestational diabetes - and was wondering if anyone knew if the stuff you have to drink - is it gluten free? I'm sure it's something similar to sugar water but I just want to make sure. Many of you have been through this already and I trust you over the people who are giving me the test!!

The anemia I am just plain worried about for some reason. I worry that I will have it or get it just because I have to be so darn negative all the time and think that the worse is going to happen. This pregnancy is just going too smoothly. Is that possible????

The Rhogam is a shot that I need to get because I am RH Negative. I am praying that I will not have a reaction to that as well.

If any of you know about these tests or medications, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Melanie

Michi8 Contributor
Hello all!

Melanie

Anemia is relatively common in pregnancy. If you do need to treat it, there are options for getting iron into your system besides those awful pills (that probably have gluten in them.) Floravital (by Floradix) is a gluten-free iron supplement. The source of iron is bio-available, and much gentler on your system than the pills.

Regarding Rhogam... It is only necessary if the mother is Rh- and the father is Rh+. If the father is Rh- too, then there is no chance the baby will be Rh+. The Rhogam itself isn't necessary for the current pregnancy, but to protect future pregnancies/babies. You can choose to get it immediately after birth as opposed to during pregnancy. It's worth reading up on it, though, to confirm its safety in terms of a gluten-free diet.

Michelle :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Oh, by baby 5 I wouldn't drink that hideous orange garbage!! The nurses flipped, I held my ground, the doc asked if I wanted to decline the test, I said yes, he looked at the nurses, they gave me a dirty look, I smiled, they left, no test! :P I figured after 4 kids already, I didn't need it!! ;)

I was anemic during my pregnancies, all of them. It's no big deal, you just take iron and get your blood taken to test your levels periodically.

Congratulations! :D

Michi8 Contributor
Oh, by baby 5 I wouldn't drink that hideous orange garbage!! The nurses flipped, I held my ground, the doc asked if I wanted to decline the test, I said yes, he looked at the nurses, they gave me a dirty look, I smiled, they left, no test! :P I figured after 4 kids already, I didn't need it!! ;)

I was anemic during my pregnancies, all of them. It's no big deal, you just take iron and get your blood taken to test your levels periodically.

Congratulations! :D

I hear ya about that orange stuff! I declined to be tested with my last two babies. Actually, I declined pretty much all the tests...there was no true indication for them in my pregnancies...and some of the tests just cause too much stress to the mother given false positive rates.

Michelle

JAmico314 Newbie

I didn't have to take the orange stuff the second time around. I was able to eat real food, but it was measured out in certain quantities...like 1 english muffin, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of butter, and a glass of orange juice...I don't know what all it was....but that was before I found out about the Celiac.

So we are TTC #3 and I refuse to take that orange stuff, but wonder if I am going to be able to do something more pleasant than the orange, or maybe I should just decline the test. Unless I am having some symptoms or something.

Michi8 Contributor
I didn't have to take the orange stuff the second time around. I was able to eat real food, but it was measured out in certain quantities...like 1 english muffin, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of butter, and a glass of orange juice...I don't know what all it was....but that was before I found out about the Celiac.

So we are TTC #3 and I refuse to take that orange stuff, but wonder if I am going to be able to do something more pleasant than the orange, or maybe I should just decline the test. Unless I am having some symptoms or something.

It's nice to hear that you were able to do the GD test with a "normal" breakfast rather than the glycola...I think it gives a much better reading about how the body reacts to dietary sugar.

However, if you had no GD issues with the first two pregnancies, then you will likely not this time...especially if you are maintaining a gluten-free diet throughout this next pregnancy. Will your midwife/doctor be following your pregnancy health & diet more closely now that you have the celiac diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm not sure how I managed to get to this post, but I wanted to say... I LOVE that orange stuff!!!

At least, the 1 hour glucola isn't bad. The three hour (which I've had to do in 2 of my 3 pregnancies) is just nasty!!!

I wish you lots of luck !!!

Melzo Rookie

Well all...I survived. The orange drink, the RhoGam shot, getting poked with multilple needles. Glad it's done with!

The orange drink was good. They gave it to me cold and tasted just like orange soda. ("Pop" if you live in Pittsburgh and those who do, you will know what I mean).

I should have all the test results by next week. I'll keep you informed.

Anya78 - Good luck with your last couple weeks! You are so lucky to almost be done with pregnancy and finally getting to see your little one!! Not to mention you won't have to deal with this incredible heat while being pregnant anymore!!

Sounds like the second round of glucose tests are not that wonderful. As far as the taste of the orange stuff. Hope that it comes back negative, or I will run and hide. :ph34r:

Thank you Michi8 for all your useful information. I am Rh- and my Husband is Rh+. Not going to avoid the shots unfortunately. I have Iron in my medicine cabinet, however, do not want to take too much because my prenatal has some in it. I guess I will only have to if this test shows that I have anemia.

THANKS ALL!!!

Archived