41 replies to this topic

#1 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

Have any of you had trouble with increased breast tenderness since going gluten-free? I've always had it in the week before my period, but since going gluten-free about 6 weeks ago, I seem to have a steadily increasing case. It's getting really uncomfortable! I'm hoping it's a temporary thing-- I know that celiac disease can affect hormones-- but ouch! Any thoughts/suggestions?

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:34 AM

Leah:
I am so glad you asked this. I have been having this problem for about six months, I mean it is really bad. There are times it feels like behind the nipple area is on fire and to go without a bra is awful. I am not pregnant and don't have those "parts", I have been to the doctor and had both a mammogram and sonogram and everything appears fine. But it is just awful. I really hope someone responds to this even if the cause is not eliac related.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#3 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:39 AM

Leah:
I am so glad you asked this. I have been having this problem for about six months, I mean it is really bad. There are times it feels like behind the nipple area is on fire and to go without a bra is awful. I am not pregnant and don't have those "parts", I have been to the doctor and had both a mammogram and sonogram and everything appears fine. But it is just awful. I really hope someone responds to this even if the cause is not eliac related.

Are you recently Gluten-free? I'm just curious if it's a transition thing...
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#4 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

I don't remember having any breast tenderness, but I did grow a full cup size within a month of going gluten-free. I'm 24 so that was something I was not anticipating!
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#5 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:45 AM

WHAT!!!??? Really? I think I'm WAY too old for that to be happening (I'm 50) but I do feel that "swollen" feeling... reminds me of when I was pregnant actually, but THAT is NOT a possibility.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#6 julified

julified

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

I thought it was just me! Since I went gluten free three years ago my breasts have been tender and I also went up a whole cup size.

#7 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:37 AM

I thought it was just me! Since I went gluten free three years ago my breasts have been tender and I also went up a whole cup size.

Hmmmm... maybe what I need is a bra fitting! This never occurred to me before, but now that I think of it, when I take off my bra at the end of the day it IS a relief... How bizarre! Did you gain weight? I've gained a couple of pounds, but not enough to have made a difference, I would have thought-- but maybe it's all going to my boobs! (My husband would like that-- if I weren't always saying "Ow, that hurts!)

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#8 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:42 AM

For me, breast tenderness was always cyclical but based on excessive caffeine intake. If it got annoying, I could cut back and it would be fine in a few days. Since menopause it's still based on caffeine intake but no longer cyclical. Since I no longer do coffee, I only notice during periods of extreme tea drinking.

How's your caffeine intake? Maybe you could cut it back a bit.
Nothing

#9 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

I do drink coffee, but always have, so that hasn't changed. I'll try cutting back & see if it helps.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#10 Camille'sBigSister

Camille'sBigSister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:10 AM

Good morning, girls!

I don't know if my story will be of any help, but it might give someone an idea for further investigation.

I'm 73, and have been on HRT for a number of years. I take Estradiol, which my gyn orders for me from a compound pharmacy. A couple of years ago I was concerned because my energy level was going downhill, so I started taking a product called PhytoEstrogen by Solaray, thinking I could wean myself from Estradiol. The PhytoEstrogen is made from non-genetically modified soy, and also contains isoflavones, mexiyam, black cohosh, and dong quai. "Natural" is always better, right? Sometimes I do the dumbest things! :lol:

A month or so later my breasts got so sore and tender I couldn't stand to wear a bra. (I'm a skinny, scrawny little old woman, and my version of putting on a bra is this: Fasten on padded bra, then pull breasts up from waistline and stuff them into said bra. :lol: :lol: :lol: ) One day, while going through this procedure, I discovered a huge lump in my right breast. Long story short, I went to a surgeon who aspirated it, and it was nothing but a cyst.

I put two and two together, quit taking the PhytoEstrogen, and the whole problem went away. I've never admitted to a doctor what I had been taking! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Miss Innocent, that's me!

I'm a total beginner on the gluten-free diet, so I don't have enough experience to find a connection between it and swollen, sore breasts. I do hope my info can point someone in the right direction.

Cissie

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:13 AM

Cissie--You are so funny! :D I'm so glad the lump turned out to be a cyst! Thanks for the heads-up ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:15 AM

I don't take any estrogen, & I haven't added a whole lot of soy to my diet, but I suppose I could be getting a little bit more than before. I bake most of my gluten-free stuff from scratch, & haven't used any soy in the recipes I've made, but I'll check crackers & so on to see if there might be some in there.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#13 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:56 AM

Mine got tender like they were when I was pregnant and grew. Even my 18 year old daughter who always teased me for being flat-chested noticed a difference (I was not flat-chested before kids). I did not gain weight beyond what I used to weigh (I gained the weight I lost) ... I don't think they're done judging by the way they still feel -- I hope they're not. I'm 43, so I certainly was not expecting a second puberty!!!

I think gluten-free does affect hormones -- my husband likes the other hormonal changes ;)
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#14 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:01 AM

This gluten-free thing is just one surprise after the other! This is a real doozy!

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#15 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

Have any of you had trouble with increased breast tenderness since going gluten-free? I've always had it in the week before my period, but since going gluten-free about 6 weeks ago, I seem to have a steadily increasing case. It's getting really uncomfortable! I'm hoping it's a temporary thing-- I know that celiac disease can affect hormones-- but ouch! Any thoughts/suggestions?

Leah

hi leah, ive been gluten-free since may this year and ive noticed my boobs being a lot more tender, its almost like when youve stopped breastfeeding and you boobs havent fed for a while and you feel all full, my youngest was 4 in november and even now i can still get milk ( colostrum) from my nipples from about 2 weeks due my period. i havent noticed a change in size just the uncomfortable feeling of it all. by the way im 33
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: