This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breast Tenderness?

queenofhearts

CarlaB Enthusiast
My, it was good to come home after a long day at work and laugh at the responses. I have also gone up a size, so I really don't know.

The only other thing is that leaving a bra off seems to make it worse and it only really feels better when I lay down.

I don't know what is up, just one more thing to drive me a little nuttier!

The only thing I can think of to do is have a little less caffine, I do drink diet pepsi and hate the thought of giving that up too. I haven't gained that much weight and even had someone ask me last week if I was pregnant, and that's not a possibility.

They must have noticed your chest's growth!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Estrogen or Progesterone increase. When you're initially pregnant, you get a huge rush of progesterone . . . in order to sustain the embryo. That, combined with an increase in estrogen, causes the breast enlargement and tenderness. Noticed that myself, and I was using Estrogen cream. After going gluten-free, the estrogen cream gave me morning sickness! After stopping it completely, the morning sickness subsided. Still had breast enlargement and tenderness, though. Have to have my levels drawn within the next few weeks, then see my endocrinologist. I'll put that on my list of questions for her . . . she's fantastic, and loves quirky, challenging questions. (Thank goodness,because I feel that I provide her with WAY too many :P ) Will let you know what she says . . .

jerseyangel Proficient
:lol::lol::lol:

I've been watching this to see how it turns out. I have noticed changes here too. I'm 50 and flashing (hot) like a neon sign. So, I figured it was related to peri menopause. :huh:

I've been following this and really didn't know if this pertained to me. I have experienced more tenderness and am a bit fuller than I was, but I am also in perimenopause--that could be part of it, too. Interesting :unsure:

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Thank's for your posts on this. I haven't changed anything so I guess I will just have to wait and see, let me know what your doc says. If they didn't hurt so much I suppose I would just enjoy the new and fuller me :D

Ain't it the truth????? :lol:

kbtoyssni Contributor
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Estrogen or Progesterone increase. When you're initially pregnant, you get a huge rush of progesterone . . . in order to sustain the embryo. That, combined with an increase in estrogen, causes the breast enlargement and tenderness. Noticed that myself, and I was using Estrogen cream. After going gluten-free, the estrogen cream gave me morning sickness! After stopping it completely, the morning sickness subsided. Still had breast enlargement and tenderness, though. Have to have my levels drawn within the next few weeks, then see my endocrinologist. I'll put that on my list of questions for her . . . she's fantastic, and loves quirky, challenging questions. (Thank goodness,because I feel that I provide her with WAY too many :P ) Will let you know what she says . . .

It could be because your body is absorbing more of the drug. I know with a lot of oral drugs you can take a smaller dosage once going gluten-free because you absorb all of it. When your intestines are damaged you only partially absorb food and drugs. Not sure if it's the same with topical creams.

lpellegr Collaborator

When my breasts went up a cup size and were mightily sore my first month gluten-free, AND I had a period two weeks after the last one started, I wasn't sure I could connect it to the diet, but after reading all this, that's probably what it was. Eventually they went back to normal (or at least one of the normals, since the size has varied with pregnancies, etc), but the periods are still sometimes a surprise (I think one ovary has lost its mind :P ). Must be some change in either the production or the use of hormones due to improvements in intestinal absorption. Somebody ought to do a PhD thesis on this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

This post is very interesting. I am 51 and have been POST- metapause for atleast 10 years, peri-m started at 35.

I too have had mega breast tenderness many times since gluten free almost a year. I am on no hormones or anything female related. After loosing 20 pounds over the years, celiac related, my 36D, never budged. Kinda wish it did.

I thought is was very strange as well. DH had the big "V" many years ago and I don't like the mailman. It gave me the "what's going on here" feeling. :ph34r:

Lisa

Lisa -- I have a VERY funny story about that . . . will have to e-mail it to you!!!!! :lol: It's not horrible, by any stretch, and certainly wouldn't offend anyone . . . if it's okay with you guys, it's okay with me . . . it's just about me sticking my foot in my mouth (as if I have never!) years ago . . . .

jerseyangel Proficient
Lisa -- I have a VERY funny story about that . . . will have to e-mail it to you!!!!! :lol: It's not horrible, by any stretch, and certainly wouldn't offend anyone . . . if it's okay with you guys, it's okay with me . . . it's just about me sticking my foot in my mouth (as if I have never!) years ago . . . .

Gee, I'd like to hear it....

Ashley Enthusiast

I've experienced this too...but, I'm in the growing stage :blink: my cup size has gone up though more than it should, at least I think. Not too thrilled with it (would be happy flat-chested). Either way, it's here.

-Ash

Lisa Mentor

Gotta hear it Lynne...go for it. :rolleyes:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Gotta hear it Lynne...go for it. :rolleyes:

Ditto, go for it!

skullkennel Newbie

I just started the gluten-free diet 5 days ago. I found this forum because I was searching for info on the same thing. I noticed my breasts were a little tender and heavy yesterday but it's not normal for me at all. Also, I had a TL after my 3rd child 2 1/2 years ago. DH just mentioned that they seemed fuller (he likes) :rolleyes: and I didn't even mention it to him so I decided to see if it was diet related. I would have to say that it is, judging by the many posts on this subject. By next week I may be bra shopping! I started in a DD at16 but went down to a D, a full C, then a small C (yay!) after nursing each of my 3 children for a year. In the past few days I am back up to a full C again!

• 2 years later...
anniebeth Apprentice

I know this is an old thread, but I think it answers a question that I just posted earlier this morning. I have been having breast tenderness and fullness recently, and was wondering if it had to do with going off gluten or dairy. The strange thing is, it is mostly just one of my breasts. I actually wish they would have this problem evenly, because they are becoming more and more different in size. It is funny because I, too, thought that it felt like I was pregnant or breast feeding. I have shrively old boobies from nursing and pumping, so it was very odd to see any fullness in the them. If I hadn't had my tubes tied, I'd be more worried that I was pregnant. I wonder how long this will last. I've never had this sort of thing happen in relation to my period.

heatherjane Contributor
I know this is an old thread, but I think it answers a question that I just posted earlier this morning. I have been having breast tenderness and fullness recently, and was wondering if it had to do with going off gluten or dairy. The strange thing is, it is mostly just one of my breasts. I actually wish they would have this problem evenly, because they are becoming more and more different in size. It is funny because I, too, thought that it felt like I was pregnant or breast feeding. I have shrively old boobies from nursing and pumping, so it was very odd to see any fullness in the them. If I hadn't had my tubes tied, I'd be more worried that I was pregnant. I wonder how long this will last. I've never had this sort of thing happen in relation to my period.

Well, I'm glad you found this post, even if it's old. I've noticed some soreness also, mostly underneath. I've been gluten-free for 3 months but just started noticing consistent tenderness a couple of weeks ago. There's no way that I'm pregnant, so it's a relief to know that it's probably nothing to worry about.

sweetforyounow Newbie

wow. that's crazyyyy cause my breasts are swollen and feel a tad bigger too. i mean i won't complain if they get larger im only an 'a' and always wished i was a 'b' maybe with 'c.d.' i'll finally get it! haaaa. awful humor, i know.

Archived