This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Broke Down Last Night

GIJane

GIJane Rookie

All,

Last weekend my husband and i went out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Something I ate must have been contaminated because, by the time we got home, I felt ill, was teary, and had D. Now, nearly four days later I'm still feeling off. Last night was the worst and I'm wondering if it could have been gluten-induced. (Because, like some others on this site have noticed, gluten does a number on my psyche.)

My husband had to work late last night so I started painting the primer onto our newly plastered dining room. In the process, I began to feel totally stressed out, like I might make a mistake and I was so overcome by this that I started to weep. I cried for a full 40 minutes. I called my husband in the middle of all of it and asked him to come home. He was really worried about me.

This is not typical behavior for me. I am emotional, but usually with cause. I felt my crying last night came out of the blue. I'm happy with my life. I don't know what was going on. I tried to come up with an explanation and found that: (1) I was quite tired due to lack of sleep earlier in the week; and (2) was about to get my period. Unfortunately, neither explanation really explained the extent of my reaction and I began to think: could it have been gluten? Could I have been cced by the "Garden of Eatin'" Sesame blue chips I'd had earlier in the day? Or the Amy's quesadilla I'd eaten?

The truth is, I'm unsure and the whole thing has left me feeling a little out of control and a little in question about myself. Some of that, too, is my husband. He is wonderful, sweet, and very supportive, but doesn't deal well with excessive emotion. He commented last night that the whole episode had been stressful for him. He wants us to keep an eye on what's gonig on for me emotionally and thought we should have it "checked out" if it persists...

I'm venting some, but more than anything I'd like someone else to let me know if they've had similar experiences.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

Hmmm, someone posted recently that some paint, plaster & such can contain gluten. Could you have been inhaling something that made you ill?

Leah

(Mind you the tiredness & PMS would have been enough for me!)

GIJane Rookie

Leah,

I don't know... nor do I know how I would find out... do you have any ideas?

queenofhearts Explorer
Leah,

I don't know... nor do I know how I would find out... do you have any ideas?

Actually I tried to search for this & found that drywall is the main issue... but I think you said plaster, right?

In case it does apply, here's a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Leah

eleep Enthusiast

I can say for sure that cross-contamination has done me in exactly like that twice since my diagnosis -- the last time was _not_ pretty because it came on my birthday, right along with some gossip about my ex-boyfriend -- most likely inaccurate and misleading because it came from an unreliable drunk of a source.

I lost it, however -- I couldn't sleep all night for two nights and left some really choice words on my ex's voicemail.

It was only two days later that I realized I was still having GI symptoms and that I'd been reacting.

Anyway -- it was after a restaurant meal at a place where the servers are notoriously snotty, scenster and snarky -- I was as sweet as possible and used my cards, but I suspect they just rolled their eyes at the whole thing.

I've been trying my best to learn what is food-reaction emotion and what is just emotion-emotion. Meditation has helped me with this a whole lot because it's taught me to listen to my body very closely and also to get beneath the very intense emotional feelings and see what's really going on.

The hitch, however, can be that -- when there is some large, emotional and stressful event to react to (such as a really messy breakup, my mother's death a few years ago, etc....), I do sometimes lose my focus. I think this will get better with time, practice and self-forgiveness. I think my boyfriend was a lot like your husband and felt my reactions (for a long time coming from what seemed out of nowhere) were way too stressful for him to handle. If there's one thing I would do were I still in that relationship, it would be to ask him if he can learn to see the intense emotions as possible food reactions first.

There's a thread somewhere on this board where someone talks about the fact that her husband responded to one of her moody outbursts by saying "You don't usually react this way, you know" -- which was what helped her to realize that she'd been glutened and wasn't just wigging out. I love that response.

taz sharratt Enthusiast

jane i get a lot of emotional upset when glutend but didnt realize it untill i posted it here. i cry, get angry and very confused. its really scary to say the least.it took 3 days to get to fell\better and my huby was doing his nutt.

Archived