Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sulfites

28 posts in this topic

I just came across this thread and Rhonda has provided such great information. After a decade of misdiagnosis, my husband was finally diagnosed with EE which confirmed his food allergy to suflites because that was the trigger. I also wanted to clarify that many fruits and vegetables have sulfites that occur naturally and, as is the case with my husband, even organic lettuce will trigger a GI response (so for the last year he has been lettuce free). We have also found that the degradation process vegetables go through increases the availability of their sulfite compounds. For example, my husband can eat fresh diced tomatoes and onions and then the left overs for the next two days, but on the fourth day it will make him sick - after one bite his throat will close/face go white/red spots on cheeks.

Good luck!

Ads by Google:

Thank you for moving this up!

There are many, many people in the forum who have sulfite sensitivity/allergy. I get the red face and chest as well as swelling of the throat, tongue and joints.

I avoid them like the plague, but I learned somethings here which I did not know-- like the corn syrup (no wonder I could not tolerate it!) and the sorbitol. Thank you!

This awesome information to know....thanks Rhonda! I loved the info on how to make your own formula. I didn't realize how often sulfites are used....I was just trying to avoid processed meats. Man it's in everything.