This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had The Colonoscopy Yesterday

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

hi guys, well, its over and done with, the dr did 4 biopsy's.

I'm having a lot of crampy pain in my lower stomach [bellow the belly button] and very gassy, but can't get it out..i'm thinking the pains are from the scope and normal, has anyone had this the day after?

thanks

Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

My hubby had gas pains afterwords.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks, its more like someone beat me up inside, the pains are not severe but they're there and constant along with gas that won't move

Guhlia Rising Star

I also had gas pains afterwards. I thought it was from all the demorhal and visteral (sp?).

jerseyangel Proficient

Betty! :D There you are--I was thinking about you. The nurse warned me that I could have gas pain and pass a lot of gas after. It's because they pump air into you to get a better look. I actually didn't, but my husband did after his. It should be better by tomorrow.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks guys

Patti, I was hoping you'd see this post, I called the Drs office they said she'd call me back, now I wish I didn't call..she'll probably tell me to go to the ER to cover her butt! I just thought after 24 hours the pains would be gone, hopefully tomorrow will be better. thanks for the concern patti

jerseyangel Proficient

Betty--Are you eating pretty normally? It just can take a day or 2 to get everything up and running again. Of course, if you get pain other than gas, or a lot of bleeding, it's best to check with the doctor's office.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

I had a banana around noon ans will have chicken tonight

I was going to take my levsin, but waiting to ask the Dr if its ok, they said no advil

penguin Community Regular

They said no advil because it's a blood thinner and will make the biopsy sites bleed, as will any other NSAIDS. No pepto either for the same reason.

Levsin should be fine, I would think. It's just an anti-spasmodic, though I don't think it would help your gas pain any.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hi Betty . . . did they remove any polyps? I had a couple of sore places where they removed polyps for about a week or so.

Now, for the gas issue . . . Okay, folks, remember I treated women's health, so I have some bizarre tips :rolleyes: :

Get on all fours, bend your elbows, and keep your butt up in the air. The gas is lighter than the air, and will move -- ummmm -- upwards. Works like a charm.

I also have an intestinal massage self-treatment that I used to teach my pregnant patients . . . it simulates peristalsis in the intestines . . . . when I took the course on pregnancy, and we had to practice this on each other, the instructor informed us that "the first person to make their partner fart wins." Enough said.

I'm Finished . . . . . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

ebrbetty Rising Star
Hi Betty . . . did they remove any polyps? I had a couple of sore places where they removed polyps for about a week or so.

Now, for the gas issue . . . Okay, folks, remember I treated women's health, so I have some bizarre tips :rolleyes: :

Get on all fours, bend your elbows, and keep your butt up in the air. The gas is lighter than the air, and will move -- ummmm -- upwards. Works like a charm.

I also have an intestinal massage self-treatment that I used to teach my pregnant patients . . . it simulates peristalsis in the intestines . . . . when I took the course on pregnancy, and we had to practice this on each other, the instructor informed us that "the first person to make their partner fart wins." Enough said.

I'm Finished . . . . . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Lynn, thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

I've been in bed since the colonoscopy, had some problems with it and have been in the worst pain of my life, at least sitting up today..hopefully things will just get better

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi Lynn, thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

I've been in bed since the colonoscopy, had some problems with it and have been in the worst pain of my life, at least sitting up today..hopefully things will just get better

Betty, I'm so sorry you are still in pain :( I do hope things improve for you soon! :)

gf4life Enthusiast

If you are still in bed you could try laying on your belly with a heating pad between you and the bed. Also hot tea seems to help me when I have a lot of trapped gas. Although getting up and moving around will help the gas to move.

I had a lot of gas and pain after mine (after I stopped throwing up for the first 12 hours!). Tylenol is okay to take for the pain if it is that bad and you need something. It won't thin the blood like aspirin, ibuprophen and other NSAIDS.

You should start feeliong better soon. Getting that gas out will help a lot!

bklynceliac Apprentice

I had mine a couple weeks ago, and pain and gas are definitely standard. Unfortunately, of course. I found though that the gas calmed down after 24-48 hours, but the soreness lasts about 7 days. Definitely don't be shy about the tylenol for a couple days, especially if they took biopsies. I had that "beat up" feeling too, and it was the only thing that let me sleep. I also highly recommend some ice cream (or soy equivalent). Maybe it was just power of suggestion, but I felt like it was really chilling out my insides. Oh, also, they don't tell you this, but avoid heavy lifting or moving big stuff around until the pain goes away. I didn't, and regretted it.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Huh? Gas, soreness? I'm always amazed at how we are all so differently effected by various procedures... its hard to tell someone what to expect when we all seem to be effected so differently by the same things.

When I had my colonoscopy I had an endoscopy at the same time. I was knocked totally out. After a couple hour recovery I went out to dinner! I was fine, no sorness, no gas, no nothing.

Oh well. Maybe I lucked out, I too had numerous biopsies taken.

Susan

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks everyone for thinking of me, still in pain, but it is better..never again will I get a colonoscopy :angry: The Dr said again it was because I'm so small <_< not sure I agree with that!

no Tylenol allowed or Advil for a week, I'm now getting a bad cold, probably from being in the hospital, my immune system sucks

jenvan Collaborator
hi guys, well, its over and done with, the dr did 4 biopsy's.

I'm having a lot of crampy pain in my lower stomach [bellow the belly button] and very gassy, but can't get it out..i'm thinking the pains are from the scope and normal, has anyone had this the day after?

thanks

Betty

I also had the gas and some cramping. I didn't have any soreness though. Hope you feel better asap!

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks jen, feeling better today, just mild pain..who would have thought it would take 6 days to get over a colonoscopy :(

jenvan Collaborator
thanks jen, feeling better today, just mild pain..who would have thought it would take 6 days to get over a colonoscopy :(

Wow...that is a while. I've had 3 endoscopies...one just killed my throat--sore for days. I was like "who was operating that scope anyway??!" Hope you are 100% soon!

Archived