31 replies to this topic

#1 porterpotti

porterpotti

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

I have tried about 5 kinds of gluten free bread including several store bought kinds and several home baked kinds from scratch as well as mixes and I have not found any that were that great. Does anyone know of any bread recipes that taste anywhere close to regular wheat bread? I'm really craving sandwiches and would LOVE to be able to eat a good tomato sandwich.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

:) Hi and welcome. I am sure there are some good recipes on another thread-but have you tried Kinnikinnick white sandwich bread? It comes frozen and is pretty good. It is gluten free and dairy free. I use it for sandwiches all the time and it actually tastes pretty good.

#3 Daxin

Daxin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

You should try to find a copy of the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" We have it here and have tried a few of the breads. The Quinoa bread is the best so far, but there is another one using yogurt (not so good if you are also dairy free.) I find that all the home made ones are the best for sandwiches.

I LOVE tomato sandwiches, and my dw had to find a recipe for good bread ASAP so I could at least have some comforty food while I was healing post-dx.

Hope that helped a little. I have not had much luck with the store bought breads. I find they all taste like cardboard! ;)
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#4 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

gluten free pantry- sandwich bread mix

i personly have not had it yet, but i had 2 boxs in my cupboard that my friend got me as a gift, they desided to make it when i was not home, i got home and realised it uses milk (im still avoiding for a few months) so i was not able to eat it, so my roommates did they said they could not taste a diffrience besides it was slightly spungy but not that bad at all

#5 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

My favorite so far is Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread mix. I even eat it plain and untoasted.
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#6 julified

julified

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

I have tried many bread mixes. I suggest getting a bread maker and using the gluten free pantry mixes. I have found that it is the easiest and best tasting.

#7 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:16 AM

they dont turn out half bad from cheap bread pans either

#8 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:00 AM

I love the gluten free pantry mix, we make about a loaf a week, in the bread machine but It also cooks in the oven, we let it cool slice it with an eletric knife( that way it is thin like sandwhich bread) and store it in the frig, it last longer this way and it great toasted!! it would make great tomato sandwhiches, I get the mix at wild oats but if you don't have one of those close you can order it from the Gluten Free Pantry web site, you can order the dairy free sandwhich bread mix from there too if thats an issue, the one they sell at wild oats has dry milk present. I hope this helps you!

#9 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy has an excellent bagel recipe that I use for sandwich rolls. They're much better as rolls than they are as bagels. I just omit the sugar from the recipe. They even make good lunchmeat sandwiches!!! BLT's are divine on them. :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#10 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

I agree with the Kinnikinnick white sandwich, but they also make a brown bread that i absolutely love. Maybe you can try that?
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#11 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:29 AM

Wholefoods has a pretty good sandwhich bread which is great for sandwiches or just toast in the morning. You don't even need to keep it frozen, which is handy. But the best bread and rolls I've had are from Gillian's (gilliansfoods.com). Great sandwich bread, dinner rolls that are buttery and amazing, even pretty solid brownies. They'll ship direct too...
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#12 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

I have tried numerous breads, and the only one that I can stand eating is Ener-G Tapioca Bread. It is sliced thin and you don't have to freeze it.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#13 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

Wholefoods now makes some sun dried tomato bread which is quite yummy. It may have been out for a while but I just found out about it. It tastes almost as good as it smells but of course is not really sandwich bread - just great with dinner!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#14 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

The homemade one I would reccomend is the submarine sandwich bread from Annalise Roberts book. Actually I'm sure any of her breads are great but that is the only one I have tried. It's incredible and you can use it for so many different things. Sanwiches, garlic bread, pizzas... it's awesome!

As far as store bought, well you would have to order it but it is from the Gluten Free Bread Basket in Chester, NY. I have tried both their sandwich bread and mock rye - both amazing!!! And get this, you don't have to toast them to eat it. You can just take the bread out and make a sandwich like a normal person!!
The website is: www.gfbreadbasket.com
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#15 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Jillian for letting us know about the gluten-free bread basket. I was wondering if it was any good. You don't have to toast it even? That is too awesome!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: