This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Public Restroom Handsoap

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

What if the hand soap in the public restroom has gluten in it? When I'm at the office, I just use the facility then wash my hands in my own sink back in my office (I work in a lovely Victorian building and my office has its own sink). But what about this? Anyone given it any thought? Should I carry around my own soap?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lymetoo Contributor

I was just thinking about that yesterday! Thanks for posting this question! I'm new, so I have no clue!

jmengert Enthusiast

Well, I'm ultra-paranoid, so if I plan on eating something with my hands for lunch (chips, sandwich, etc.), I wash my hands with soap I leave in my office. Otherwise, I just wash up with the office soap if I'm not eating with my hands, and I've never had a problem.

eeyor-fan Contributor
Well, I'm ultra-paranoid, so if I plan on eating something with my hands for lunch (chips, sandwich, etc.), I wash my hands with soap I leave in my office. Otherwise, I just wash up with the office soap if I'm not eating with my hands, and I've never had a problem.

Just do like I do and carry the travel size Purell Hand Sanitizer its gluten-free.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I dont trust the soap in the public restrooms either. I also carry around Purell. :)

Turtle Enthusiast

OMG, I never thought of this and I am a clean hands FREAK! Hmmmm.....

Ursa Major Collaborator

Purell will obviously get rid of bacteria. But be aware that it will NOT get rid of gluten, since you don't wash it off after using it. Unless you use Purell and then rinse your hands with water afterwards (which may be a solution).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I was getting glutened a LOT when I was trying to use Purell instead of soap and water. It made me wonder if it just moves the gluten around...

Nancy

Lymetoo Contributor
I was getting glutened a LOT when I was trying to use Purell instead of soap and water. It made me wonder if it just moves the gluten around...

Nancy

I think it may be possible. I"ve noticed if I use Purell several times during a day without washing my hands, that when I finally DO wash them....they're especially dirty!! YUCK!

shai76 Explorer

I don't understand. Celiac is the inability for the boyd to digest gluten. Since when is it bad to even touch it? I have food allergies that I react to if I touch those things because it if a histamine reaction. But I thought gluten had to actually go through the stomach to cause symptoms.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
I don't understand. Celiac is the inability for the boyd to digest gluten. Since when is it bad to even touch it? I have food allergies that I react to if I touch those things because it if a histamine reaction. But I thought gluten had to actually go through the stomach to cause symptoms.

I'm just thinking of how often I touch my mouth at any given point in the day. I'm not religious about washing my hands a lot, and so far have not been glutened. If I touch bread to make a sandwich or something, i definitely wash, but I forget with things like spices, etc.

Now, you're probably not going to run into gluten in the public bathroom. I was just thinking it would be unfortunate to wash your hands there and then later touch your mouth and then end up eating the soap. It's a reach, I know. Just playing it safe.

I know I switched dishsoap because mine had gluten in it. Didn't seem wise to wash my dishes with the very thing that is trying to kill me.

Dunno. Just thinkin! :blink:

lindalee Enthusiast
I'm just thinking of how often I touch my mouth at any given point in the day. I'm not religious about washing my hands a lot, and so far have not been glutened. If I touch bread to make a sandwich or something, i definitely wash, but I forget with things like spices, etc.

Now, you're probably not going to run into gluten in the public bathroom. I was just thinking it would be unfortunate to wash your hands there and then later touch your mouth and then end up eating the soap. It's a reach, I know. Just playing it safe.

I know I switched dishsoap because mine had gluten in it. Didn't seem wise to wash my dishes with the very thing that is trying to kill me.

We could just carry a trial size bottle of gluten-free soap with us. Anyone know of gluten-free wipes? I don't use the soap in the bathrooms because If I don't know it is gluten-free I start itching. I put some liquid soap on me a few months ago thinking it was hand cream and it was like hysterical looking back-trying to get it off with paper towels and trying not to let my clients know I was miserable. Then I had some McD fries --then I realized -its the celiac.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I'm going to need a bigger purse. So far:

lotion

hand soap

Himalayan salt

apple cider vinegar w/ mother and lebanese olive oil (virgin of course)

boiled eggs? bowls of sauteed veggies? bag of sunflower seeds? avocado (w/ knife) apple butter (w/ spoon)

tea bags (I'm very picky)

spring water

lipbalm and if I'm lucky, lipstick

Maybe I should get a suitcase. What am I forgetting?

oh yeah, wallet.....

Mango04 Enthusiast

lotion

hand soap

Himalayan salt

boiled eggs? bowls of sauteed veggies? bag of sunflower seeds? avocado (w/ knife) apple butter (w/ spoon)

spring water

oh yeah, wallet.....

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish I could have all that stuff with me at all times. We need special rolling backpacks with mini fridges and hand soap dispensers in them.

aikiducky Apprentice

I just wash my hands with water. I thknk it's healthier anyway, doesn't dry my skin so much and it's not good to be too antiseptic....

Pauliina

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast

I called and Wet Ones are Gluten Free.

lindalee Enthusiast

I have 2 purses! One for the car and one for regular. Then a tote for all the stuff I want to take out of the regular purse to keep it light if I go in a store, and the insulated food bag. Oh, and the briefcases, one is for the celiac info. (brands) Then in purse I have 2 sm books of the product info that is gluten-free. I live in a 4 story unit so I get a good cardiac workout. LindaLee

olalisa Contributor

I consider myself to be pretty hyper-vigilant regarding gluten, but I don't stress over public restroom soap. I do make sure that my shampoo and other cosmetics (including soap) are gluten free at home. The shampoo makes sense to me b/c you're actually likely to be getting a little of it into your mouth when it goes down your face in the shower. Same for soap when you wash your face and body. And of course lotions and make-up stay on your hands and face and body.

However, IMHO, fretting over public restroom soap is overkill. I mean, you do rinse your hands very well, right? I think it's more important to actually wash and rinse well to remove any traces of gluten. Now if you're going to wash your hair or face with the public restroom soap, you might run into trouble ;) but otherwise, I'm thinking it's really okay. That said, at my workplace where I wash every day, I would take my own gluten free soap and have it there, but out at the movies or a restaurant or such I'd let it go (and find something else to worry about!) ;):rolleyes::D

lindalee Enthusiast
I called and Wet Ones are Gluten Free.

Thanks, that is good to know. LL

lotion

hand soap

Himalayan salt

spring water

oh yeah, wallet.....

I would like to get that salt. Where do you get yours? I have been using sea salt. LL

lovegrov Collaborator

Not only do soaps very rarely have gluten, but if you rinse well, which we all should do, there shouldn'ty be any problem.

richard

penguin Community Regular

I carry around a big ole purse. Almost diaper bag sized, actually. I don't have any kids, but everyone says I have a mom purse because of all I carry around *digging through purse*:

Other than the obvious wallet, phone, palm, ipod, business cards, keys...

mini manicure set (clippers, file, shaper)

chapstick

midol

tylenol

immodium

bentyl

deoderant

red bull

wet ones

"personal cleansing cloths"

sharpee

kleenex

calculator

visene

scissors

lotion

bandaids

antiseptic

lady stuff

usually a snack

I shudder to think what I'll carry around when I acutally have kids. The thing is, I've almost always carried all that crap around, even before celiac. Once a Scout, always a Scout, I guess.

I don't believe in using purell because all it does is kill the germs, not get rid of gluten or dirt. That's why I use wet ones, they do a slightly better job, and only when soap and water aren't available. I don't worry about bathroom soap, though I feel like carrying some around just because those ones are so drying. Gluteny oils and whatnot are an expensive product to put in cheap-as-possible handsoap.

lindalee Enthusiast
I carry around a big ole purse. Almost diaper bag sized, actually. I don't have any kids, but everyone says I have a mom purse because of all I carry around *digging through purse*:

Other than the obvious wallet, phone, palm, ipod, business cards, keys...

mini manicure set (clippers, file, shaper)

chapstick

midol

tylenol

immodium

bentyl

deoderant

red bull

wet ones

"personal cleansing cloths"

sharpee

kleenex

calculator

visene

scissors

lotion

bandaids

antiseptic

lady stuff

usually a snack

I shudder to think what I'll carry around when I acutally have kids. The thing is, I've almost always carried all that crap around, even before celiac. Once a Scout, always a Scout, I guess.

I don't believe in using purell because all it does is kill the germs, not get rid of gluten or dirt. That's why I use wet ones, they do a slightly better job, and only when soap and water aren't available. I don't worry about bathroom soap, though I feel like carrying some around just because those ones are so drying. Gluteny oils and whatnot are an expensive product to put in cheap-as-possible handsoap.

I think I'm just going to start wearing white gloves!!! LL

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Thanks, that is good to know. LL

I would like to get that salt. Where do you get yours? I have been using sea salt. LL

I use The Raw Choice Himalayan Crystal Salt. (www.therawchoice.com). Be forewarned this stuff is $9.00 a small bottle. There are other brands of Himalayan crystal salt as well - if you google it, you'll find some. It's pretty interesting - the structural comparison between table salt, sea salt, and crystal salt. Who knows....but it's good. If you do get the Raw Choice kind, watch out - it comes out fast. You can feel the money falling out of your pocket with every shake. I got mine at the food co-op.

Aerin328 Apprentice

Which dish soap brand were you using that had gluten in it? :ph34r: Is there a way to tell on the bottle? (I'm assuming "Evil Gluten" is not marked as an ingredient) I am a newly diagnosed Celiac who is just changing his way of life, I am committing to banishing the stuff from my home entirely... never even thought of dish soap!

Thanks!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Chelsea, most new parents overdo the diaper bag ... just add one diaper (keep more in your car along with a change of clothes for baby), a small pack of wipes, and leave the cloth diaper for spit-ups in the carseat/stroller. So, you shouldn't need a bigger purse :D That's assuming you breastfeed, otherwise you need all kinds of junk. Well, when you eventually have kids, don't want to leave anyone thinking it's now!!

Archived