This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutening - How Long Does It Take?

Lane R

Lane R Rookie

Is there a general timeframe one would expect to have between eating gluten and having a reaction? Does it depend on the amount of the gluten, or does that only affect severity? I want to try and figure out exactly what it was that caused this reaction.

I started to have symptoms (emergency D, bloating, cramping, headaches, irritability, etc.), a few hours after I ate something I thought was most-likey gluten-free. I'm still not sure if it was or not...could it have been something I hate the night before? Or would it most likely have been this item from a few hours ago?

On a side note, I think I've determined that I'm not only allergic to wheat, but I'm probably celiac (as many of you suggested) - even though the blood test for celiac was negative (which was taken a month after I'd gone gluten-free). I'm not sure I should do an Enterolab because once symptoms arise, I can always point to a couple of items that I took chances on. I think I've been living rather haphazardly and not as seriously as I should because I thought it was just a wheat-allergy and not celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

natalunia Rookie

My reactions have shown up anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours later. I have no idea on if the amount of gluten affects how severe or how soon the reaction shows up. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

My reactions usually begin right away. I would say within 20 minutes. I think the amount of gluten I eat affects how severe my symptoms are. Well that is the way it seems. I usually can tell just by the bloating and gassy feeling, I may or may not get D. I guess it depends.

jerseyangel Proficient

My reactions usually begin after 2 hours. Gas followed by D. Nausea, stomach pain and anxiety also for the next few days until it begins to subside. I have not ever eaten gluten on purpose--my reactions are all as a result of CC. I don't honestly know if they would be any different if I ate a gluten food (as opposed to the CC). Don't want to find out! :lol:

Girl Ninja Newbie

I'm still feeling my last glutening. Tuesday night at work, I ate 6 caramel mini rice cakes from Quaker. I realize I should know better. Within 15 minutes I started getting hives, dizzy, felt like I might pass out, migraine, sore throat, sore body and joints, really cold. The guy I work with got to watch it start. He was amazed at how fast I reacted. It was the only thing I'd eaten besides a banana a few hours before. The migraine lasted until Thursday morning. I still have a sore throat and mild brain fog. No canker sores this time.

Ruth52 Newbie

My reaction time to the initial glutening is about twelve hours - bloating, nausea, cramps. The fatigue, aching joints, lack of concentration etc usually starts at about 48 hours post-glutening and then it can take ten days to recover.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have kind of separated my wheat allergy and celiac symptoms. For wheat allergy I get a rash/hives, respiratory problems, chest pain, and heart problems within 24 hours. For celiac disease, I get brain fog within 12 hours, but my other symptoms (stomach pain and D) can take 48-72 hours.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

I start within 10 to 20 minutes with severe heartburn and then I get stomach cramps. That is ususally as far as it goes, but it is usually just cross contamination with me.

MNB Newbie

For me about 10 minutes after eating. Today for example I was so excited because a friend found a pizza place that has wheat free pizza (corn meal crust). I was about 1/2 way into the slice when the nausea, bloating and cramping started. I noticed that the wheat-free and regular slices were being heated in the same oven, but I was so desperate for pizza I wishfully ate it knowing it would probably make me sick (which it did). :(

I also seem to notice the longer I am wheat-free the more adverse my reaction is to it. I was suprised how sick a little cross-contamination made me this time compaired with one month ago.

4getgluten Rookie

I usually know within 2 hours if I've been most likely glutened - stomach cramps and bloating. Then, my suspensions will be confirmed the next day with brain fog, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and dizziness. Sometimes this only last a day, sometimes it lasts a week. I think it depends on much gluten I had.

gfp Enthusiast

Time frames vary and amount seems to have no effect on severity.

4 days ago I had a Thai red curry, I found the paste and thought I'd try ....since its really hard to get fresh galangal here. I had a coconut rice with saffron accomp....

Then last night I was eating out and started feeling weird .... I had been a bit off and a bit brain foggy but then I have hay fever as well .... my friends left the resto and I left with my Girl-Friend then WHAM!!!!!

I ran back in to the loo cursing the resto .... how do you CC RAW beef????

To cut a long story short .... what came out has saffron .... you can't exactly mistake it whole.

I can only conclude that the bowel movement and the glutening were from the same thing....

Retrospectively I had been constipated.

However I usually react 6-8 hours later .... but this case was pretty clear!

Archived