This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Allergies

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Last night I had a very bad allergic reaction and I had to go to the hospital for a benedryl shot. I have never had a reaction that severe before. My throat felt like it was closing over, I had trouble breathing, swallowing felt really weird, I felt like I was going to faint, I had a hive on my foot, and I had this really intense warmth feeling. I was terrified. I think that I got into some wheat, but then again I'm not sure. I never delibrately ate anything with wheat in it. I have been careless lately and I have been trying some new products and eating and drinking things that I haven't seen being prepared (Don't worry I've learned my lesson and I won't be doing that anymore).

What really scares me though is the intensity of that reaction from such a small amount, I feel like I may die if I ate a piece of bread. I'm also wondering if I may have developed a new allergy since I never had a reaction that bad before. But then again my wheat allergy has been getting worse with time.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do when this happens? Shoud I have an epi pen? I don't know what to do, I just moved to a new province and I don't have a doctor and doctors are hard to get here.

I am terrified to eat anything now :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Carrie :) Gosh, that sounds so scary. I would definately suggest you get a prescription for an eppi-pen. Actually 2--one for home and one for work. My husband is deathly allergic to bee stings, and that's what he does. The type of reaction you got is very much like what happened to him. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. Have you had a full allergy test done recently? Allergies can come and go over time, as well as get weaker/more severe. Hope you're feeling calmer now :)

Green12 Enthusiast
Last night I had a very bad allergic reaction and I had to go to the hospital for a benedryl shot. I have never had a reaction that severe before. My throat felt like it was closing over, I had trouble breathing, swallowing felt really weird, I felt like I was going to faint, I had a hive on my foot, and I had this really intense warmth feeling. I was terrified. I think that I got into some wheat, but then again I'm not sure. I never delibrately ate anything with wheat in it. I have been careless lately and I have been trying some new products and eating and drinking things that I haven't seen being prepared (Don't worry I've learned my lesson and I won't be doing that anymore).

What really scares me though is the intensity of that reaction from such a small amount, I feel like I may die if I ate a piece of bread. I'm also wondering if I may have developed a new allergy since I never had a reaction that bad before. But then again my wheat allergy has been getting worse with time.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do when this happens? Shoud I have an epi pen? I don't know what to do, I just moved to a new province and I don't have a doctor and doctors are hard to get here.

I am terrified to eat anything now :(

Carriefaith,

I am so sorry that you had such a severe, and scary, reaction. I agree with Patti that you must get an epi-pen. Since your throat closed up you need to have it for emergency situations, and to be on the safe side, and prepared, if it would possibly happen again.

I have not had this kind of reaction, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, as to why it happens and what to do. Did they give you any feedback at the hospital?

As far as the doctor situation, could you go talk to the hospital you went to last night and have them refer you to a clinic, for example, or a doctor there that would prescribe the epi-pen? I am thinking since they have your reaction on record it might be a good place to start??

I understand your fear about not knowing what to eat. Mabye if you went back to eating what worked for you before the reaction, before you started trying out some new things, and then go from there?

AndreaB Contributor

I'm sorry Carrie. :(

I don't have any severe allergies so I can't help you there. I agree with Patti to get some allergy testing done if you can, and the epi-pens.

eKatherine Rookie

It's not impossible that something other than gluten was the offending allergen that set you off. You should probably have it checked out.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone :)

I also think that I should have an epi-pen after last night, but the doctor said that I should just have benadryl and not an epipen. He said that without me even mentioning the epipen. I am so scard right now. I really hope that I didn't develop another allergy. I think that I am just going to eat really safe things for now until I can see a doctor.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Is your doctor an allergist? If not, you *must* find an allergist. Even if you're looking at a two hour drive to get to this allergist, you need to have an allergist treat you for serious allergies. In the meantime, until that happens, carry the dye-free liqui-gel benadryl with you at all times, or a liquid version. It's the fastest acting stuff you'll find. (It does sound pretty classic anaphylactic reaction to me.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I don't have an allergist yet, but after what happened last night I'm going to have to go to one. I just moved to another province and I will have to find a new doctor and get to an allergist ASAP. Thanks for your advice.

mouse Enthusiast

I carry an epi-pen in my purse at all times. I have had three reactions with the throat closing, that I have no idea what did it. And thank God, my epi-pen was in my purse. I also keep one handy in the home at all times. It is so scary when it happens and I certainly don't want you to go through that again. Try to stick to fresh items and meat for now and no processed until you get tested.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I carry an epi-pen in my purse at all times. I have had three reactions with the throat closing, that I have no idea what did it. And thank God, my epi-pen was in my purse. I also keep one handy in the home at all times. It is so scary when it happens and I certainly don't want you to go through that again. Try to stick to fresh items and meat for now and no processed until you get tested.
Have you ever had to use an epipen?
evie Rookie
Have you ever had to use an epipen?

I had the throat closing, hives

on shoulder, lip swelling Big several years ago when I was stung by what felt like a tiny bee on the lip. had to go to hospital for Benadryl shot then to dr. office for another one. Have carried Epi-pen for years but have never needed to use it! :) I hope this condition improves shortly for you, no fun at all!! Be well, evie

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Oh, my goodness, Carriefaith, I'm glad you're all right! :blink:

You have just motivated me to carry chewable benadryl in my purse.

wolfie Enthusiast

That is so scary!!! SO glad that you are all right. I agree with everyone about the Epi-pen. I always carry Benedryl with me for situations like this...I have horrible allergies and have had hives in my mouth recently for no apparent reason.

I hope you can find some answers with a new dr! (((HUGS))

Carriefaith Enthusiast

For those who have had seroius reactions, how long does it take for symptoms to dissapear? I am having trouble breathing off and on and my throat feels tight.

I went into a walk in clinic today and got a prescription for prednisone. Has anyone had that drug? The doctor said that he was going to refer me to an allergist. I hope he remembers :unsure:

tarnalberry Community Regular
For those who have had seroius reactions, how long does it take for symptoms to dissapear? I am having trouble breathing off and on and my throat feels tight.

I went into a walk in clinic today and got a prescription for prednisone. Has anyone had that drug? The doctor said that he was going to refer me to an allergist. I hope he remembers :unsure:

I've been on pred numerous times. :-) It's a corticosteroid, and is very commonly used for significant inflammation (such as you get from serious allergy reactions or extended asthma exacerbations). Do NOT stop taking it early or other than prescribed - it affects the immune system, and taking it other than as prescribed can dangerously suppress the immune system. It can be a strong drug, particularly if they started you off at a high dose (say, staring you at 60-70mg and tapering you down over a number of days - a common approach, though for an allergic reaction, they may do a shorter burst), and it can cause mood swings as well as a very strong appetite (or nausea). But it is also a strong drug in that it should make a significant difference within a day or two.

Followup if you don't hear about that referral - call back and find out what's going on if you don't hear back in a few days!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Carrie--I'm concerned about you! I have taken Prendisone several times. Each time, it was a pack that had pills starting out at a larger dose, decreasing until the pack was finished. It's important that you take this as directed. It will take down the inflammation, and hopefully you will be more comfortable and better able to breathe. Carrie, please keep on that doctor to refer you to an allergist. Hopefully, he/she will want to do further testing and prescribe an epi-pen. The type of reaction you have had, in my opinion, warrants it. Hugs to you :)

Green12 Enthusiast

I just wanted to add that I'm so glad you were able to go to a walk-in clinic and see a doctor. :)

I don't have any info for the other questions you have, hopefully some others will come along and post.

If you feel like it's going to do the same thing as the other night when it closed up don't hesitate to take action.

Hang in there!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your concern and advice :) I am starting to feel a little better now. I am just so nervous to eat food now :( I really hope that I can get in to see an allergist ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Just a few questions for anyone that can help. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am nervous and I want to be well for my wedding on August 19th!

I am still not sure what caused my allergic reaction(s?) (I'm not sure if I had one major one or several small ones), but I was just wondering if anyone knew if an allergic reaction to a food can intensify or get worse overtime? For example, you get hives and heart palpitations once, and then the next time you get breathing problems, tightness in the throat, ect. Has anyone experienced this? Also, I was wondering if someone could suddenly develop a new allergy. If I developed a new allergy it would have been very sudden because, I'm always eating a variety of foods.

My prednisone that I have been taking for my allergic reaction runs out tommorrow and I am a little nervous about what is going to happen. I haven't got into see an allergist yet and I'm assuming that getting in to see one will take awhile. All I have to go by is old allergy tests and my most recent allergy blood test was only positive for milk allergy. However, I have tested positive to wheat and yeast in the past. I have eaten yeast lots of times since the allergy test in 2003 and I haven't really noticed yeast causing any problems.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Thanks to anyone who can help :)

mouse Enthusiast

In answer to your question on the first page. Yes, I have used an epi-pen several times and that is why I carry one at all times. Yes, your food allergies can get worse. I have watched carefully for casein for almost 20 years and watched for soy for the last 4 years. I knew corn was an allergen for me, but did not realize what all the things that corn was in. Until my corn allergy went through the roof and caused my pneumonia. I have gotten rid of everything that has corn in it. But, I did leave one item and that was a Hormel precooked meat that goes in the microwave (it is gluten-free). last Monday night I was just exhausted and cooked this meat. I had read the label and saw that corn was listed as the 3rd or 4th ingred. I stupidly ate it and had such a hard time breathing for about 30 hours. Had to go on oxygen, prednisone and double doses of my nebuliazer. Never again. I think that I have read on another thread that sometimes our food allergies get worse after we go gluten-free. Please get an epi-pen until you get into an allergist. They now come smaller and with a tester that you can practice with. They actually can go through your clothes.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Carrie--I'm so sorry that you are going thru this now, with your wedding coming up. It's not fair that you need to be worried about all of this now! It's a darn shame :angry: I did some checking for you, although you have done a ton of research, I'm sure. This site has a lot of information on food allergies, and many related sites that go into a lot of what you're wondering about.

Open Original Shared Link

I really think that you need to see an allergist as soon as possible. I think this constitutes an "emergency" because when you go off the steriods, you may become vulnerable again. The epi-pen is a must for you, in my opinion. I wish you could come down here for a few days--I'd take you to my allergist!! :D

I am under the impression that allergies can come and go throughout a person's life. Also, yes, I believe that with each repeated exposure, the reaction can get worse. (It's such in individual thing, though) Although not the same thing, my husband's reaction after each bee sting was progressively worse.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Carrie - I'm just now seeing this, but wanted to let you know that I just went through a very similar situation!

My problem was shrimp.....

We were out to dinner, and I ordered a dish that I KNEW was gluten-free - from looking at the menu online, but forgot (or failed to realize) that there was shrimp in it. I've never eaten shrimp as I had a positive SPT many years ago. I don't like seafood anyhow.

I started eating my food, and started moving things around on my plate, and noticed the tiny shrimp in the sauce. (turns out that the sauce was not gluten-free and I should have avoided it anyhow..... WOOPS) I ate my dinner as usual, picking the shrimp out (with my fork) and putting it on my husband's plate. While not paying much attention to my dinner, I cut a piece of shrimp WITH my chicken....and ate it. I could taste the weirdness, and that's when I realized that I'd eaten the shrimp. I didn't think anything about it.

About 20 minutes later, on the way home - my tongue started to itch. My eyes started to water, my nose started running, and I started coughing. By the time I got home, I could barely breath. But, I was being very hesitant about going to the hospital. I downed about 4 TSPN of Benedryl and then walked into my bedroom and fell asleep.

Oddly enough, had that been one of my children, not only would they have GONE to the hospital, I would have called 911. I mentioned it to my allergist, and he wanted to run a full "RAST" to seafood. I don't need a test result to tell me that I had a reaction. Sheesh!

Anyhow, I hope you are doing better now.

As far as allergies getting worse over time, my daughter has a peanut allergy, and I've been advised that each ingestion has the potential for a worse reaction. Obviously, we avoid like the plague.

jerseyangel Proficient

jayhawkmom--Your post remended me of something. When I was still working, a co worker was telling us that she had just been to her nephew's funeral. What happened was that he and his wife had just had dinner at a restaurant (I won't name it here). As they were getting ready to leave, he began to feel ill. The parimedics were called, but he actually died shortly after--he had a deadly allergy to shellfish, and although his meal did not contain any, they determined that it was cross contaminated with shellfish in the kitchen. It was very sad. These food allergies are nothing to fool around with.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your input and telling me your experiences. Everything is all helping me through this right now. Going through something like that is very scary. I'm reasuured to know that food allergies can get worse overtime. I thought so, but I'm glad to hear that from others. I am assuming that a regular doctor can give a prescription for an epipen? I should make an appointment and ask for one.

I really think that you need to see an allergist as soon as possible. I think this constitutes an "emergency" because when you go off the steriods, you may become vulnerable again.
I am nervous about what's going to happen to me after I stop the steroids. I have been taking a high dose now (50 mg) for 9 days and tommorrow I stop solid. I have to work tommorrow so I am a little nervous. I hoping that everything will be fine. I'm going to take lots of benedryl with me just in case.

I wish you could come down here for a few days--I'd take you to my allergist!!
I wish I could! I really need to see one! :) Thanks for the internet link!
Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Thanks everyone for your input and telling me your experiences. Everything is all helping me through this right now. Going through something like that is very scary. I'm reasuured to know that food allergies can get worse overtime. I thought so, but I'm glad to hear that from others. I am assuming that a regular doctor can give a prescription for an epipen? I should make an appointment and ask for one.

I am nervous about what's going to happen to me after I stop the steroids. I have been taking a high dose now (50 mg) for 9 days and tommorrow I stop solid. I have to work tommorrow so I am a little nervous. I hoping that everything will be fine. I'm going to take lots of benedryl with me just in case.

I wish I could! I really need to see one! :)

I htought it was dangerous to take such a high dose without tapering off...... :blink: Are you sure that was correct? Could the dr or pharmacy have screwed up and forgotten to taper you off? I apologize for making you nervous, but if you were my sister, I'd be on the phone with the doctor asking if this was what he meant for sure, and if so, what side effects to expect from stopping solid, I'd also ask the pharmacist.

Hopefully, I'm worrying about nothing.Keep us posted!

Archived