This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mozzerella Sticks

lilleroy family

lilleroy family Rookie

Does anyone have a recipe on how to create gluten-free mozzeralla sticks, we have found almond cheese to substitue for the real mozzeralla as daughter is currently unable to consume milk products, but we so terribly miss mozzeralla sticks and mariana sauce. Any help? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Where did you find the almond cheese? I would love to try some. It doesn't contain any casein, whey, or lactose, does it?

I can't help you out with a recipe, but I would love some info on the cheese. What is the brand name, and where did you buy it?

Thank you.

God bless,

Mariann

taneil Apprentice

I looked at some almond cheese hoping I could use it also, but the brand I looked at (can't remember what it was) contained casein.

gf4life Enthusiast

That's what I figured. All the cheese substitutes seem to contain dairy in some form. I've seen the rice cheese, and soy cheese, but never the almond cheese. Isn't there a way to make a 100% dairy free alternative that tastes decent!!

God bless,

Mariann

tarnalberry Community Regular

I found one cheese alternative that really was soy and dairy (and gluten) free. (A particular rice cheese, as I recall.) It was amazingly nasty, I spit out the piece in my mouth and threw out the whole package.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I really hope someone has a recipe because I have been wanting these and know can be done glutenfree but how? I have asked firneds and relatives who cool a lot an no luck. Ever since this post i have been asking even more and last night even dreamed of making them! Lol, I must really want some!

catfish Apprentice

I don't have a recipe, but I'll tell you what I'd try if I were going to make these.

First, I'd make a dry mix with some potato flour, corn flour, millet flour and rice flour plus whatever seasonings such as salt, pepper, oregano, basil and thyme.

Add some of the dry mix to another bowl and mix with an egg and some milk to make it into a batter.

Heat some oil until it sizzles if a wet paper towel is dipped in it.

Dip strips of mozzerella cheese into the dry mix to coat it, then dunk into the batter, and then dip into the dry mix again so that they are well coated.

Drop coated strips into the oil, cook until lightly browned on one side then flip, continue cooking until lightly browned on both sides then put on a plate (I'd put a kitchen towel on it to soak up excess grease)

Enjoy with marinara!

If I ever do try this I'll post my results and more precise measurements; if anybody else tries it let me know how it works- it should work fine though; I used a similar method for chicken breading and the exact amounts aren't really that important.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
jendenise Rookie

I tried making gluten-free mozzarella sticks 2 weeks ago. I used mozzarella, and for the batter I used Bob's red mill all purpose gluten-free flour along w/ gluten-free bread crumbs from my local whole foods store and pepper. I mixed flour, crumbs & pepper and put aside. I heated olive oil until it was very hot. I beat an egg and dipped the mozzarella slices into the egg then put them in my flour mixture covered them w/ flour and let them set for a few minutes, then stuck 'em in the hot oil. Unfortunately, I thought they were way too greasy, and the mozzarella either didn't get warm completely through, or it melted through the batter, maybe w/ more experimentation they'd get better.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I did it with these breadcrumb things and had an awful experience. It was bad.

• 2 months later...
VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Found this recipe....

Substitute gluten-free flour/bread crumbs for the non-gluten-free stuff ;)

1 1/2 cups Italian-style dried breadcrumbs

1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan

1 teaspoon salt

2 (16-ounce) blocks pasteurized mozzarella cut into 4 by 1/2-inch sticks

4 large eggs, beaten to blend

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

4 cups Marinara Sauce, recipe follows

Stir the bread crumbs, 1 cup of Parmesan and 1 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl to blend. Dip the cheese in the eggs to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the cheese in the bread crumb mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely. Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet. Repeat dipping the cheese sticks in the egg and bread crumb mixture to coat a second time. Cover and freeze until frozen, about 2 hours and up to 2 days.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the cheese until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the fried cheese to plates. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve with the Marinara Sauce.

Marinara Sauce:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 small onions, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 stalks celery, finely chopped

2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes

2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)

Yield: 2 quarts

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Hope this helps,

Bronco

Archived