This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Is Not Right

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

I don't know what the heck is going on. It started at least two weeks ago.... actually probably 3. I did a round of antibiotics and NOTHING has been the same since. I took acidopholus with it, but it didn't help. As soon as I finished the antibiotics, I started with diarrhea. Then I got glutened by Sensodyne toothpaste and it seesm like I just can't recover. I'll finally get to the point where I feel like I'm getting better and then I'll eat something and wind up sick again. And it's stuff I NEVER had a problem with before- like yesterday I woke up feeling fine and had chips and salsa later in the day. Immediately got bloated and the nauseous and no appetite for the rest of the day. Then up until 2 a.m because my stomach killed and spent most of today with D.

Finally felt like I could eat something around 5 so I had a Glutino blueberry bar and some plain white rice with salt and pepper. Immediate run to the bathroom, bloated, nauseous. Both of those have always been safe foods for me.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even chicken made me sick the other night. I'm starting to wonder what the heck those antibiotics did to me. I feel like I'm back to square One.

I'm actually wondering if it's C Diff as the antibiotic wwas keflex and I had just had my gall bladder removed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SueC Explorer
:(:(:(:( I wish I had some insight. I hope you feel better soon. Could you be allergic to keflex??
CarlaB Enthusiast

I hope you feel better soon. That's how I was before I went gluten-free, I got sick no matter what I ate. You might check with your doc. I'd keep taking the probiotics for a while.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm so sorry that everything is making you sick. I totally understand how you feel. I also feel like I am back to square one as well :( It's a very depressing feeling, I know. I don't know what I am going to do.

I think that the best thing to do is get to a doctor ASAP and explain what happened and be persistant! That is what I am going to do.

I hope you feel better soon.

AndreaB Contributor

I'm sorry Beverly. :(

I don't have any advice but I thought I had read something about antibiotics messing people up as far as diet. I could be wrong and hopefully someone will jump on that knows more.

mamaw Community Regular

Hope you get feeling better soon. If you were in the hospital for surgery then I say it could very well be c-diff. It's really hard to kill that off and it takes some time. Keep taking the best probiotic you can find and lots of it. When my mother-in-law had hip surgery she got it and being 83 she was sick for months. It seemed the antibiotic wasn't working for her.I think she lived on yogurt for months.

I think she could eat dry toast too.

sorry that you so sick, I'll say a prayer for you....

mamaw

Lisa Mentor

B:

If you has already said this... did you check your antibiotics for gluten free.

And also, you have been high stressed which could amplify your normal system. Stress can do strange things and to re-activate Celiac would not surprise me.

Just a thought, and I hope that you start feeling better soon.

xxoo Lisa :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast
And also, you have been high stressed which could amplify your normal system. Stress can do strange things and to re-activate Celiac would not surprise me.

B's been under stress??? ;) Seriously, it can take it's toll and with the accidental glutenings, it's probably all adding up. What about candida? Are you taking a live culture? I would give it a couple days on the BRAT diet and if you're still not doing better it might be worth calling your doctor.

Feel better!!

mouse Enthusiast

Beverly, I am so sorry that you are so sick. My antibiotics (the IV's ones) gave me gluten like problems for the 14 days out of 15 that I was taking it. I stopped them on Tuesday and I am just coming out of the problems. Each person is different and maybe your reaction was later. I really don't know, but you probably should be checked for c-diff, just to make sure. I took plenty of acidofolis (sp) every day during this time and am still taking the same amount, just to be sure. Plenty of hugs and prayers are on the way to you.

BTW, my antibiotics were gluten-free.

chgomom Enthusiast

If you are off the antibiotics I would just try cleansing and drink lots of water, and maybe stop the probiotics.

I had a similar reaction to them.

Also, keep it blan, like apple sauce, gluten free rice pudding, Lara Bars (www.larabar.com), water, and bannas. Sometimes, if you've been highly glutened you're going to be crud for a few days to a few weeks...depends on your system. And if thos little beastie antibiotics killed off all your good flora, its gonna be worse.

Go toyour doc and as for a stool culture just to be on ehte safe side though.

:blink: Sorry you're sick...

Guest Robbin
:) Geez, Beverly you have been through it lately, enough already, right? I cannot take antibiotics without getting the symptoms you describe for weeks afterward. A doctor once told me that it can take awhile for the intestinal lining to heal because it just doesn't heal all at once. It heals in patches and it takes awhile for the lining to become all healed. You can heal in one area and irritation can cause another area to flare up and so on. If you can eat bananas, rice and apples-that is what was recommended to me for healing. I think the more "bland" the food, the better right now. I certainly hope it is not c. diff. --if you can take acidolphilis, Armetta is right-it is very beneficial after the antibiotics. You are in my prayers as well.
Nancym Enthusiast

My Mom had something similar happen when she was put on an antibiotic. Turns out it killed the good flora off in the bowels and allowed C. Difficile to take over. So they put her on an antibiotic to kill the C. Diff and she was ok. You might want to get that checked.

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--this is SO unfair :angry: I wish I had more to offer, but you've already gotten good advice here--I hope that this crapola passes quickly--you deserve a break!! :)

Guest BERNESES

Thanks all- I feel like the probiotics make me feel worse and not better. I ate plain rice tonight and it made me feel worse. Whole body aches. :(

Talked to the triage nurse and she said that it could be C Diff and to call tomorrow first thing for a stool culture. man- am I EVER gonna catch a break?

Thanks for all your support- as always. Send hugs and good bacteria!!!! :P

jerseyangel Proficient

B--this could be no help at all, but I just saw that the probiotics made you feel worse. Several months ago, I tried Culterelle (probiotic) on the advice of a friend. 5 days into taking it, I felt awful--just like you I couldn't eat anything without feeling nauseous. I had to run out of a store during this time, as I thought I was going to throw up! I stopped the probiotic, and within a few days, the nausea was gone, and I was back to well, not normal :D , but to where I was before this. Just thought I'd throw that out there ;)

Lisa Mentor

How about just a plain old "bug" like most people get when stress depleated their immune system.

I am talking to myself here..." Sometimes, every time we get sick, we tend to think that every thing is related to celaic. We get sick from others, trees, pollen and coodies from everywhere. We are just like every one walking, just another diet concern".... :rolleyes:

Lisa

Hope your feel better soon B.

Lisa

Guest BERNESES

Could be, Lisa. I'll get it checked out tomorrow. imagine that- a plain old bug???? :P I know, we tend to blame EVERYTHING on celiac. But, better safe than sorry.

Stress? What stress? :blink::ph34r:

Lisa Mentor

Well shoot.....The Viking Goddess can handle everything, if not she can behead them :ph34r:

Or better than that wrap them into a boat, send it off to sea, and take an arrow aflaimed and launch it into the boat.

Have a good night sleep up there, we are burning up down here. Sweat city. Global warming, yeah think???

Sweet deams, Lisa :)

miles2go Contributor
I don't know what the heck is going on. It started at least two weeks ago.... actually probably 3. I did a round of antibiotics and NOTHING has been the same since. I took acidopholus with it, but it didn't help. As soon as I finished the antibiotics, I started with diarrhea. Then I got glutened by Sensodyne toothpaste and it seesm like I just can't recover. I'll finally get to the point where I feel like I'm getting better and then I'll eat something and wind up sick again. And it's stuff I NEVER had a problem with before- like yesterday I woke up feeling fine and had chips and salsa later in the day. Immediately got bloated and the nauseous and no appetite for the rest of the day. Then up until 2 a.m because my stomach killed and spent most of today with D.

Finally felt like I could eat something around 5 so I had a Glutino blueberry bar and some plain white rice with salt and pepper. Immediate run to the bathroom, bloated, nauseous. Both of those have always been safe foods for me.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even chicken made me sick the other night. I'm starting to wonder what the heck those antibiotics did to me. I feel like I'm back to square One.

I'm actually wondering if it's C Diff as the antibiotic wwas keflex and I had just had my gall bladder removed.

Beverly, so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. I am allergic to penicillin and it's relatives (amoxycillin, ampicillin, etc) and Keflex and broke out in a full-body rash the last time that I took Keflex.

It was a long time ago, but I remember it well. You might want to check out that possibility if the C Diff comes back negative.

Either way, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Dang, Bev, I haven't been on since the am...am so so sorry your still feeling crapy...agree with all above posts and so glad Patti posted on the probiotics. I was going to mention that she had that problem awhile back. I'd get off what you have and look into another kind BUT after you get the stool sample in tomorrow.

I remember the 'fear' of the c-diff and i couldn't figure out how it could happen if NOT IN HOSPITAL BUT dr told me it can AND you were in hospital..

Remeber my dr told me my antibo could cause havic on the 10th day after i stopped them He was right with the cipro...told me i could get a bad reaction 10 days after and did end up in ER with hives all over body and having trouble breathing. also Lisa said......." Sometimes, every time we get sick, we tend to think that every thing is related to celaic. " I remember Patti telling me when i thought I was glutened to 'take my temp' and bingo...103-- and the start of it all.

Sooooo don't have many suggestions esp since all food seems to make you sick you poor babe...You do deserve a BIG BREAk.....I agree stress can mess my intestines up big time..

I'd first rule out the c-diff and then go from there...please post and let us know how you are tomorrow and what you find out, OK

love prayers and lots of HUGS.

judy

Guest cassidy

I would think it has to do with the antibiotics killing off the good bacteria.

Also, candida is a problem for a lot of celiacs and when you take antibiotics and kill the good bacteria then candida can go wild because there is nothing to keep it in check. I didn't realize what a candida problem I had until I looked back at my notes. I was still bloated everyday, had D and just felt yucky. I've been treating it for 2 months now and I only have intestinal symptoms when I'm glutened.

Why would you have a bacterial infection like C Diff (I think that is a bacterial thing) when you just took antibiotics which kill bacteria? That doesn't make sense to me.

If the probiotics made you feel worse, I would try a different brand. They are just good bacteria so you should be able to tolerate them. If it is candida it would make sense that rice made you feel worse because it is a carb and that is what feeds the candida.

I would recommend getting another strong probiotic, cutting out sugar and any processed foods and sticking to bland stuff. Also, aloe is very soothing as is peppermint capsules. Both of those help me.

Hope you feel better.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Why would you have a bacterial infection like C Diff (I think that is a bacterial thing) when you just took antibiotics which kill bacteria? That doesn't make sense to me.

Bev - - so sorry you're not well - you don't need THIS now!

I had a severe case of C.Diff - lost 20 pounds in two weeks, was hospitalized on IV drip, etc. BUT - - I had been on massive doses of antibiotics and steroids for sytemic/edemic poison oak, and that is what killed all the good flora in the intestine (it does happen, the antibiotics, esp. certain ones, will kill the good intestinal bacteria and the bad takes over). I remember the CDiff literally hit me all at once, had no appetite for a couple of days, and then, a fever of 103 and the most noxious, explosive D I had ever experienced in my life, for 2 to 3 weeks......very different than D from glutening.

It doesn't SOUND like CDiff - or if it is, it could be beginning stages. I echo what the other two said here - can't remember - that it might be just a plain old bug, as you mentioned you were very achy.

Hoping you recover SOON!

utdan Apprentice
I would think it has to do with the antibiotics killing off the good bacteria.

Also, candida is a problem for a lot of celiacs and when you take antibiotics and kill the good bacteria then candida can go wild because there is nothing to keep it in check. I didn't realize what a candida problem I had until I looked back at my notes. I was still bloated everyday, had D and just felt yucky. I've been treating it for 2 months now and I only have intestinal symptoms when I'm glutened.

If the probiotics made you feel worse, I would try a different brand. They are just good bacteria so you should be able to tolerate them. If it is candida it would make sense that rice made you feel worse because it is a carb and that is what feeds the candida.

I would recommend getting another strong probiotic, cutting out sugar and any processed foods and sticking to bland stuff. Also, aloe is very soothing as is peppermint capsules. Both of those help me.

Hope you feel better.

I agree with Cassidy, maybe try some candida-safe foods like apples, oranges just to see. The specific carbohydrate diet says fruit that is canned or processed fruit juice is not candida safe. Although you said chicken made you sick...was it breaded or KFC chicken?

Guest BERNESES

Nope- just plain chicken with salt and pepper. KFC? Are you kidding? :P I wish!!!!

The antibiotic I was on was keflex which is known for C diff (lucky me). I double checked last night and it was gluten-free. The prpblem si you are supposed to take probiotics with food and I can't eat right now. Ugh! can you get them in liquid form? supposed to hear back from the doctor within the hour. the nurse also said no sugar, no fat, bland as possible.

oceangirl Collaborator
B--this could be no help at all, but I just saw that the probiotics made you feel worse. Several months ago, I tried Culterelle (probiotic) on the advice of a friend. 5 days into taking it, I felt awful--just like you I couldn't eat anything without feeling nauseous. I had to run out of a store during this time, as I thought I was going to throw up! I stopped the probiotic, and within a few days, the nausea was gone, and I was back to well, not normal :D , but to where I was before this. Just thought I'd throw that out there ;)

Hi. My son just went through TOO many rounds of antibiotics and it very much screwed him up. Check out the C Diff, it's becoming more prevalant and Kevlex is an intense antibiotic. It took a few months for him to get better. I have problems with cooked rice; maybe that's not helping? Hope you are well soon!

lisa (from Maine, not so far from P'mouth!)

Archived