This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Sandwich Subsitute

flagbabyds

flagbabyds Collaborator

Instead of using bread to make my turkey sandwiches I use corn tortillias and mely some motzerella cheese (you can leave this out if you are lactose free too) And then put turkey on mustard and mayo on it, wrap it up and I have a fast sandwich that won't get soggy in 5 minutes. It is more of a wrap than a sandwich but it tastes really good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

esquivel Newbie

Thanks for the review! I've been thinking of doing that too, but am still mourning over my wheat bread (I was just diagnosed may 17th). I'll try it, though. Did your corn tortillas fall apart? What kind of turkey do you get? I haven't bothered with lunch meats yet, either.

Thanks!

Pam

catfish Apprentice

In order to keep corn tortillas from falling apart it helps to heat them first. I either fry them very quickly in oil or spray them with cooking spray and bake them in the oven for a few minutes. You could probably microwave them with a spray of cooking oil too. I think they taste much better wram, but that's just my opinion. ;)

I've used this same technique with tuna fish and it's not too bad, especially with some fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and a bit of grated hard Mexican cheese... B)

flagbabyds Collaborator

I warm them up in the microwavve for like 20 seconds with a damp paper towel over them, yes they do taste much better warm.

gfmelissa Apprentice

I too, love to wrap my sandwhiches in corn tortillas. I also love to do a wrap in nori. My favorite right now is, avocado's, onion, garlic, red pepper, wild rice tempeh, wrapped in nori. Great for lunch. They don't fall apart like corn tortillas do.

melissa

burdee Enthusiast

Doesn't anybody like gluten free bread for sandwiches? :o I wanted a burger bun last night for my turkey burger, so I used an Ener-G foods English Muffin with Sweet Potato flour. It's too thick to add turkey burger, thick tomato slice and lotsa lettuce like I prefer, so I sliced it horizonally 3 ways. I used the perfectly round bottom and middle layers for my burger and had an extra (rather wavy) top layer to use with peanut butter and jam for breakfast. Those 2 layers plus all my burger fillings were thick enough but not so thick I couldn't get all the layers in one big bite. :lol: BTW I don't like the taste of the Seattle Brown variety Ener-G uses for their burger buns.

I haven't tried the corn tortilla idea for sandwiches, since I avoid most thin deli meats (often injected with 'broth' containing wheat) and can't have dairy. But all your ideas sound intriguing. Which brands of corn tortillas do you use? I'd like to try that with egg, chicken or tuna salad filling. ;)

Melissa: What's nori? Where do you find that? Your avocado vegie roll sounds great, but a little spicy. I'd prefer some shrimp, celery & peppers mixed my avocado. I would also like something that doesn't fall apart to wrap sandwich filling. :)

BURDEE

catfish Apprentice

I have yet to find any gluten-free bread that I like! <_< It's too expensive for me to go out and buy every variety there is all at once to test them and find what I like/don't like so I started getting about a loaf a week (still expensive, this gluten-free stuff ain't cheap) and have yet to hit upon one that's even remotely edible. So the result was that was throwing out a lot of costly gluten-free bread. :( But I have learned a few things that I don't like... for instance, tapioca bread = YUCK! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Catfish: Ener-G Foods will send you a bread sampler kit for $13.20 which includes 2 slice vacuum sealed packages of egg-free raisin bread, raisin bread WITH eggs, brown rice bread, hi-fiber bread, rice starch bread, Seattle brown bread, yeast-free sweet bread, white rice bread and (the dreaded) tapioca bread. However that kit doesn't include my favorite "Harvest" bread which tastes and looks like regular stone ground whole wheat bread. Maybe they could substitute Harvest for Tapioca? Call them (1-800-331-5222) and ask. However, I mostly use Harvest for pb&j open face sandwiches or under eggs. I really liked the sweet potato English muffins with my burgers and have a celiac friend who uses those for sandwiches, since they stay fresh longer on backpacking trips.

Meanwhile, you can always send me leftover loaves of gluten-free bread you didn't like. I'm trying to persuade my husband to go gluten-free and he usually loves the kinds of breads I hate (fluffy, white, Wonderbread-like stuff). Meanwhile our backyard wild birds LOVE any bread crumbs we put out on the trays under our 3 bird feeder tubes. (They fling seeds, so we use the trays to catch seed and prevent a backyard full of sunflowers. :lol: )

BURDEE

PS Now y'all can see where I got my nickname. We're very birdy here. ;)

lovegrov Collaborator

I also use corn totillas. I don't particularly care for the taste or texture of gluten-free bread and most seem to fall apart before I can finish the sandwich.

Burdee mentioned thin deli meats frequently being injected with broth with wheat. My experience is exactly the opposite. In the U.S., all Hillshire Farm, Sara Lee and Carl Buddig prepackaged deli meats are gluten-free. Almost all (or maybe all) Oscar Meyer meats are gluten-free. Among the meats they slice at the counter, all Boarshead Inn meats are gluten-free except two (I don't remember which two -- I think one is pickle loaf), and most, though not all, Sara Lee are gluten-free. Sara Lee will provide a gluten-free list.

But if they slice it at the counter you have to get them to clean the slicer or uncover one they haven't been using.

richard

flagbabyds Collaborator

I eat oscar meyer all the time as well as hillshire farms. I never get deli cut meat. I get all packaged meats.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks Richard and Molly: It WAS deli counter sliced turkey that zapped me. :angry: When I asked to look at the wrapper the next day, it included broth from wheat and something else (I forgot) which was derived from gluten sources. But I'm sure deli cross contamination also may have played a role in my recurrence of symptoms. I have NOT tried many package meats. Thanks for the heads up on all those gluten-free brands. I'm heading back to the grocery store--well informed is well armed in this battle against gluten contamination.

BURDEE

gfmelissa Apprentice

Sorry for the late reply Nori is what they wrap around sushi. Its technically roasted seaweed but, it doesn't taste fishy or anything. You can get it in the international section of any grocery store by "eden foods" or yr local asian market. Just take out a sheet of it, put what you want in it, and wet your hands (you want it slightly damp). Then roll it up, and make sure it seals (add a bit of extra water if needed). You can stick it in the fridge or go ahead and eat! If want to make sushi, just buy white sushi rice, and the instructions or on it and add yr favorite filling. ( I am a vegetarian so I prefer gluten-free tofu or tempeh, carrots, cucumber etc.)

Also, at your international market you can buy Rice Wrappers that you can make a wrap w/ except you literally put the wrapper under the water then add yr fillings and wroll up!

Melissa

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Well I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on the Gluten-free bread thing but .. I hated every bread I tried until I got ahold of the gluten free pantry's favorite sandwich bread. If you haven't tried that one, you don't have the full picture of how good gluten-free bread is. I was reluctant at first (oh great, another $6 bread I can bake, try, and throw in the trash) but it turned out to be something I could really live with, even enjoy ( when you toast it or eat it still warm from baking with a little garlic butter...mmmm!). Whats even better is that the Meijer stores in our area have begun carrying it and its at least a dollar cheaper there than at the health food store. $4.99 I think. Just a suggestion, I bake a loaf one a week to meet my sandwich needs and it works out great!

Good luck!

Sid-Pat Newbie

Hi, My husband was diagnosed in January 2000. I sent for a gluten free bread recipe pamphlet from Red Star yeast company. My husband likes the "Country Two-Step" recipe. He toasts the bread and it holds up better when you make a sandwich. This recipe pamphlet uses the bread machine so it is quite easy. (I use the Breadman.) I know this isn't a substitute but these recipes make a fairly good bread.

Ruby Rose Newbie

I love corn tortillas, which I mainly use with traditional Mexican fillings. Also, I like to use romaine lettuce leaves, to hold sandwich fillings, especially tuna or chicken salad. As well, a thin slice each of Swiss cheese and ham, wrapped around two or three asparagus spears, make a tasty sandwich alternative :)

Ruby Rose ... Gluten Free since 1981

kalo Rookie

Red Star makes a gluten free bread pamphlet? I'll have to check into that. Foods4life makes a brown rice bread that I didn't care for. Then I found their pecan and pecan/raisin bread. YUM! I've used in sandwhiches as well as by itself with breakfast. It does fall apart easier than regular bread but I sure like the taste.

burdee Enthusiast

Hey Carol:

I also love the Food for Life Rice Pecan bread and the Ener-G foods Harvest breads with PB&J or with PB & bananas, but I've rediscovered old fashioned (?) sesame seed gluten-free rice cakes for all those open faced, nonsweet sandwiches like liverwurst, sardines (go ahead and laugh, but they have calcium for us casein free people ;) ) and meat or egg salad sandwiches. It's nice to find SOMETHING that's gluten-free and low calorie to balance out all the high calorie gluten-free stuff I eat! :lol:

BURDEE

Jo Ann Apprentice

Sweetie, I was surprised to learn that your Meijer Store is carrying gluten-free bread mix. Where do you live? We are near Indianapolis, IN. Did you especially ask for gluten-free bread mix at your store? The only one I've found is Old Bob's at Kroger, and that mix has a strong, bean flavor which my 12 yo grandson won't eat. He likes the plain, white bread, but it hasn't been easy for me to make a good loaf that doesn't fall, doesn't have a hard crust, or isn't full of holes on the inside. Thanks for your help! Jo Ann

tyki Newbie

Jo Ann,

Tyki lives in Dayton Ohio, and our local Meijers are also carrying several of the Gluten Free Pantry mixes. Chocolate Truffle Brownie mix - family at a picnic didn't even realize they were gluten-free. Cornbread muffin mix was good as well. Tyki has also picked up the favorite sandwich bread, Brown Rice Pancakes Waffles & Irish Soda Bread mix, Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix, and the sandwich bread mixes to try.

Meijers is also carrying Tinyada pastas, and a few other gluten-free items. Found them in the grocery section very near the mainstream pastas. They had the mainstream pastas, then organic foods, with the gluten-free things mixed in.

Jo Ann Apprentice

Thank you, Tyki, I will look for gluten-free items at our Meijer store tomorrow. This exchange of info is so helpful. Have found 2 breakfast bars that the companies say are gluten-free: Post Carb Well Bars by Kraft and Quaker Q-Smart Snack Bars.

burdee Enthusiast

I read that several people use corn tortillas to make wrap sandwiches. Does anyone use the white corn tortillas which seem softer (and easier to wrap without tearing) than the yellow corn tortillas? Do you have to heat them or cook them first? What brands of white or yellow corn tortillas are gluten free/dairy free/soy free? 'Sorry, but I'm sensitive to all those things. :(

BURDEE

sunflower Newbie

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about corn tortillas, but I have one comment regarding the nori (roasted seaweed wrap) described by gfmelissa. You might want to check the ingredients of this one before you buy. I can't give you any brand names, but as for Japanese nori, there are 2 types: plain roasted nori (yaki nori) that is just roasted seaweed "paper" (this is OK) and flavored nori (aji nori) that can contain various flavoring ingredients, but mainly soy sauce! (and you can be almost sure that the sauce is wheat based, if the nori is made in Japan). So better make sure about the soy sauce before you buy nori. Except for that, nori is just great!

beelzebubble Contributor

as for bread, i absolutely love kinnikinnick bread. it is by far the best bread i've had. i've tried most of them at this point, and the two best are the cheese tapioca bread and the many wonder multigrain rice bread. yum. they are so good, i have to keep my husband from eating them, and he's not gluten-free. their bread is a little expensive (4-5 us dollars per loaf) and there's a lump sum shipping charge, but it's really worth it. i don't feel deprived at all when i know i have those in my freezer.

Open Original Shared Link

Guest LisaB

Not sure if I missed anyone mentioning this or not, but I found that hotdogs taste super in corn tortillas...kind of like a much better than the originial corn dog!

granny Rookie
Does anyone use the white corn tortillas which seem softer (and easier to wrap without tearing) than the yellow corn tortillas? Do you have to heat them or cook them first? What brands of white or yellow corn tortillas are gluten free/dairy free/soy free? BURDEE

Burdee,

I use Mission Brand white corn tortillas and I do heat them in Microwave for a few seconds. They work great! I don't find soy, gluten, or dairy but will list ingr. so you can determine for yourself. I might be missing something and not realize it.

Ingredients:Ground corn treated with lime, water, cellulose gum, propionic acid(to preserve freshness), benzoic acid( to preserve freshness), phosphoric acid (preservative) dextrose, guar gum, amylase. If I'm missing something, pleasse let me know as I eat these almost daily in some way! granny

Archived