This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cd Symptoms?

burdee

burdee Enthusiast

More questions about SYMPTOMS: Does anyone else have fingernails which have vertical ridges and easily crack and tear? :huh: Is this a celiac related symtom? I also have VERY thick toenails on my biggest and smallest toes. My doctor waffles between declaring those toenail fungus and merely thick toenails, since my HMO really doesn't approve any of the current toenail fungus meds. <_< Is toenail fungus or thick toenails also associated with celiac? Has anyone had those nail symptoms and then experienced healing from nail problems after following the gluten free approach?

BURDEE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

billfl Newbie

Since going on a gluten-free diet, I now have vertical ridges on my fingernails, but can't remember if they were there before.

gf4life Enthusiast

A lot of the symptoms of Celiac are caused by the nutritional deficiencies. The ridges may be caused by a certain vitamin or mineral deficiency and while one person may be deficient before starting the diet from the malabsorbtion in their intestines, another person may become deficient in certain vitamins/minerals AFTER starting the diet because they are not eating as wide a variety of foods. It is important after you go gluten free to take a good gluten-free multi vitamin/mineral supplement and if possible get nutritional deficiency tests to see where you might need some extra help. Most people get the diagnosis and are sent home with very little information and other tests are never even mentioned. If you are on the diet and still showing signs of deficiency please ask for testing to see what is going on.

God bless,

Mariann

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Also a couple other signs of different nutritional problems can be:

-white patches in your finger nails

-fingernails that "curl" or "bend" as they grow. If your nails have a odd curviture to them it can be a sign of a nutritional problem.

There used to be a whole topic about this on the old celiac.com board. It was very informative. <_<

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Donna F Enthusiast

Burdee,

I never had horizontal ridges, but I did have a "fungus" problem, which I'm not sure was really fungus. I wonder if it had something to do with the Celiac b/c, after only about 2 months on the diet, thanks to you, I've noticed that all of the "fungus" or whatever it was, is gone now! I've had that problem for YEARS! I'm SOOO glad to see it go! The corners of the big toenail were black and foul-smelling. I even had a coating on top of my foot that I had to keep soaking and brushing off. I used to get a coating of some sort on my scalp too. I'm certain it was all gluten-related b/c when I stopped using wheat-containing body-soap and shampoo, that all cleared up.

-donna

Kira Newbie

Hi. I just got onto this board, and am not sure if I have celiac. I suspect it because of migraines and low energy which improve if I don't eat gluten. But anyway, I was shocked to read your posting, because I have also had very thick nails on my 1st and 5th toes. I wondered if it was fungus, but it never looked as bad as toes of people who do have fungus, so I just accepted it (and don't wear open-toes sandals!). Also, just the other day, I noticed a large verticle ridge down one of my fingernails and was also wondering about it. Anyway, an interesting possible connection.

burdee Enthusiast

Hey Kira: It sounds like we have the same nail problems. I've had the toenail problems for YEARS. The first (big) toe problems got worse after a biking accident in which I tore that right first toenail and a trip to the ER where they just bandaged it. I believed it got infected after that, because it got very thick. Then the other first toenail got thick. A podiatrist persuaded me that both toenails were infected and had to be removed. :o OUCH!! But they both grew back even thicker. <_< Both little (fifth) toenails have always been large.

I've noticed my vertical fingernail ridges increase with age :o but not all my fingernails. My husband says his mom had that symptom and attributed nail ridges to age. However his mom also had arthritis and 'regularity' problems (possibly celiac symptoms) and was Dutch. Holland supposedly has a lot of celiac families. I've had celiac symptoms all my life, but never realized I had celiac disease until 10 weeks ago. If my nail ridges and thickness are a celiac symptom, those had a long time to evolve into their present condition.

How long have you been gluten free? Or should I say attempting to eat gluten free? It took me almost 10 weeks to eliminate all my gluten sources and then a few more days to realize I have caseine sensitivity as well. :huh: I thought I was just lactose intolerant until I avoided even lactose free dairy products for 36 hours. Then I experienced a dramatic reaction to eating a very small amount of dairy. :o I hope the gluten-free approach resolves your migraines and fatigue. Good luck with gluten sleuthing. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Here are the posts from the old board on this topic. I thought they were sort of interesting.

Fingernails - ridges, fraying, chipping

8 messages in topic 1 kvogt 2003-04-03 13:51

Does anyone have trouble with their fingernails? My nails have ridges and tend to split on the ends or chip off and the ever so wonderful hangnails. I believe this is a symptom of anemia or some other vitamin deficiency. I've been gluten-free for about two months now. I'm taking a multi-vitamin and over the counter iron suppliment. I'm feeling very good and my iron is on its way back up. Will my nails return to normal? Any particular additional suppliment I should take? Thanks.

2 jj121491 2003-04-03 15:38

Hi! I also have such a difficult time with my nails, always have! All my friends have these beautiful nails and mine look like I work in a chisel factory! :-) It sounds like you may need to check your levels of vitamin/mineral absorption as that may be taking a little longer for your body to get back. I have major trouble absorbing iron and my body doesn't respond to oral iron therapy, so I get iron infusions every few months to help boost my levels for a time and then they gradually drop back down. So checking your levels and your calcium may be a good idea.

Something I've heard of that can help strengthen nails is Vitamin E capsules - they are liquid capsules and you poke a pinprick hole in one and smooth the gel onto your nails once a day. Not sure exactly what it does to help strengthen them, but I've heard good things from it. My hairdresser/nail tech has mentioned it to me in the past but I haven't tried it yet - maybe it's time to now, eh? :-) Glad to hear that you are doing well on the gluten-free diet and absorbing iron better now, that is a very good sign!! Hope these suggestions help.

Jenn W.

3 tp.bridges 2003-04-03 19:13

Hi kvogt. As far as the fingernail problem goes, try one of the clear nail strengtheners. It goes on like nail polish and does appear to make a difference. I volunteer at a local long-term care facility. I run a small beauty shop and I use the nail strengthener on all of the ladies. They think it does a lot of good, so give it a try. Apply it on a regular basis, so that there's always a complete coating visible.

Pat

4 aramgard 2003-04-04 11:51

After about 6 months on a gluten free diet, my fingernails (usually broken, cracked and a mess) became so strong I cannot believe it. It now takes a massive mistake on my part to break a nail and they look just great. I've been gluten free for 2 years. Perhaps you will have the same experience in time. Shirley

5 EP 2003-04-13 12:00

It took over a year for my fingernails to improve and grow without breaking so it may be a while before yours are OK.

I think ridges show thyroid problems (which is correct in my case) have you had your thyroid checked?

6 mackoroni 2003-04-23 11:07

I get that too, but it usually happens when my AA flares up, classic sign/symptom.

7 stephanie7297 2003-05-08 11:17

My Aunt and I both have Ridges on our fingernails. I am not sure about hers but I know mine break and chip really easily. I have a dr's appt today due to just not feeling myself... So I am hoping to get tested for Celiac's since my oldest son is thriving on the gluten-free diet where he wasn't when he was on a regular diet. He also had strong positive blood work, but his biopsy came back with long and intact villi and patchy inflammation (of course they only took 4 samples so I am not sure if the GI dx of wheat allergy is true or not). His pediatrician said that in light of his blood work and the patchy inflammation he wanted to try him on the gluten-free diet for 6 months and see how he is doing then. Well so far so good. He is growing again, and gaining weight and his speech is catching up, and another bonus is he isn't nearly as irritable as he was when he was eating gluten. He also had a horrible time with his nails. SOrry for the rant. Been having a bit of trouble staying on tract. Stephanie

8 aramgard 2003-05-09 11:07

Stephanie, After 6 months of the gluten-free diet, my fingernails, formerly shappy and broken, became so strong I can use them for screwdrivers and so sharp my husband now wants me to cut them because he gets scratched when I turn over at night. Perhaps you should also be checked for Celiac. Shirley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be logged in to post a message.

Kira Newbie

Burdee, Thanks for asking how I'm doing. I've only been gluten-free for two weeks, but have only had one migraine instead of the usual 4 or 5 over a two-week interval. So I'm hoping it works. I don't know if I have celiac or just a gluten sensitivity, but I've always been "addicted" to wheat products - love them, crave them in an unhealthy way. So it's been hard, but I think it's what I need to do. I've never had the typical GI symptoms of celiac disease, but have always been constipated, and also have some other seemingly related problems - some autoimmune issues, a history of thyroid problems, interstitial cystitis, IBS, etc. The migraines are the primary problem now and the others have abated. Also, my mother and grandmother always had GI problems, so I'm wondering if they had the same thing. Anyway, thanks for your input. Kira

burdee Enthusiast

Hey Kira: WOW! So many similarities. I ALSO had constipation (NOT diarrhea) and symptoms which my doctor labeled "IBS". That label and my misconceptions about celiac disease (that you have to have diarrhea as a primary symptom) kept me from considering celiac for YEARS, even after a naturopath pointedly asked me about celiac. Unfortunately, he must have also had the primary symptom misconception, although he did correctly diagnose my malabsorption problem (another characteristic celiac disease symptom) and recommend probiotics and enzymes. I also have a history of bladder infections (until I started chugging cranberry juice and a LOT of water daily).

My history with 'wheat products' was also similar to your 'addicted to wheat' experience. I now suspect casein intolerance (haven't yet received my Enterlab milk sensitivity test results) after a least 10 years of using 'lactaid' supplements for 'lactose' intolerance. When I consider my former 'binge' foods, every one of those contained either gluten or dairy products (such as cookies, bread and butter, ice cream, chocolate milk, milk chocolate). I read an interesting research article which speculates that 'gluten digests' (or pepsin hydrolysates of wheat gluten and a-casein), the molecular reactive product of gluten and digestive enzymes in the intestines, travel from the intestines into the blood stream and then to the brain where they stimulate 'opiate receptors' (a morphine-like activity). Their study suggests why celiacs (and maybe others) compulsively crave and EAT the very foods which their intestines don't tolerate. Many people have speculated about sugar's addictive properties. Yet I NEVER binged on hard candy! ;) As much as I love gluten free breads and cookies, I can easily stop when I'm satisfied (long before stuffed). The longer I stay gluten free and now casein free, the more food is just something to satisfy hunger and nourish my body. Perhaps suffering from so much celiac bloating, cramping and gas for soooo long has made me really reluctant to overeat and feel uncomfortable from consuming too much food. However, only after eliminating gluten and casein have I lost that compulsive feeling to continue eating past satisfaction at meals.

I hope you experience relief from all your symptoms. Going gluten-free helped me. Now I just have to figure what I can have on my gluten free breakfast cereal. Not sure if I can even tolerate soy milk. Rice and Nut milks seem pointless, since they're so low in protein/fat & high in carbs. I like to eat balanced meals, so high carb cereal plus high carb milk substitute doesn't seem logical. However removing dairy and gluten from my diet makes me realize there's no foods I feel compulsive about now. :D Good luck with eating gluten-free. You came to the right place for support. Members of this board are encouraging and well-informed about both the gluten free and casein free approaches. :)

BURDEE

catfish Apprentice

I guess you never know, I just wanted to be the odd one out and state that I've always had nails that are tough as, well, nails. So I suppose everyone is just different.

flagbabyds Collaborator

My nails break really easially and I have been on the diet for 12 years.

Niteyx13 Explorer

I don't know what it means, since I am undiagonosed also, but I have been fighting a fungus under my left big toe for 2 years now (I think it is finally going away, yay!), and as long as I can remember I have had weak thin fingernails. <_<

Deanna

kalo Rookie

This is interesting. I've ALWAYS had weak nails. On Sunday I pulled out my finger nail scissors to cut them before church and WOW! I could hardly make them work. It appears that in the 6 weeks since being gluten-free my nails have hardened. This is totally amazing to me. Guess I should learn to file them and give up the scissors.

I too craved breads, cheese etc. At one time I was a JUNK FOOD aholic. In my quest for good health, I gave up refined sugar and learned about whole foods. Well, now I can't even have the whole wheat. Bummer. The casein allergy was a real bummer and I'm hoping to beable to do goats milk down the road.

• 7 years later...
gailc Newbie

More questions about SYMPTOMS: Does anyone else have fingernails which have vertical ridges and easily crack and tear? :huh: Is this a celiac related symtom? I also have VERY thick toenails on my biggest and smallest toes. My doctor waffles between declaring those toenail fungus and merely thick toenails, since my HMO really doesn't approve any of the current toenail fungus meds. <_< Is toenail fungus or thick toenails also associated with celiac? Has anyone had those nail symptoms and then experienced healing from nail problems after following the gluten free approach?

BURDEE

sounds just like me, spontaneously grew fungus free nail on gluten-free diet. now to see if the medicine works on fingernails, podiatrist said she could not advise me on non foot stuff. I'm just going to use the medicine on it.

gailc

• 1 year later...
dotsdots Newbie

Also a couple other signs of different nutritional problems can be:

-white patches in your finger nails

-fingernails that "curl" or "bend" as they grow. If your nails have a odd curviture to them it can be a sign of a nutritional problem.

There used to be a whole topic about this on the old celiac.com board. It was very informative. dry.gif

I have ridges on finger nails and very thick toe nails with fungus. I believe it's part of celiac disease.

dotsdots Newbie

So, how many posts must I make? Just wondering? I have made 4-5 and haven't seen them show up? Please let me know how this works. Thank you.

GottaSki Mentor

So, how many posts must I make? Just wondering? I have made 4-5 and haven't seen them show up? Please let me know how this works. Thank you.

Welcome dotsdots!

Just a few...all of the Moderators are volunteers...but there usually is one hoping on before too long.

Please note...you are replying to a very old thread....most members in this thread are no longer active.

Glad to have you...take a look around :)

Archived