5 replies to this topic

#1 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

well ive been getting sick latley so i took imodium for like 6 days in a row because im waiting to get a blood test done .well i find when i eat anything i seem ok to a certian extent is the imdoium surpose to work like that?i just find it werid im not getting sick beacuse last week i was so sick and anytime i messed up i got super sick.Did this happen to any of you?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

Immodium just stops you up completely. If your symptoms are all diahreaha then yes your symptons would go away
Molly

#3 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

ok thanks thats one of my symptoms but i still get the nausea,dizzyness,weight loss (soon),thowing up,pains,pains in my arms and legs ever sence i went off the diet duno if that happens to do with it.ok just making sure im gonna stop it anyways because i go to the doctor for my check up.I dont know what to say to her tho because im not getting as sick but its because of the imodium but will she understand that or just think im getting better.

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

So you are not gluten-free right now, right? I think that is what you are saying. I assume this is for testing purposes?

Imodium can mask some of the symptoms. A lot of what you are describing could be caused by the diarrhea and the subsequent malnutrition. If you do not have the diarrhea, then that may be why the other symptoms are not so obvious. If you are in fact gluten intolerant then your intestines are getting damaged by eating gluten, whether you have symptoms or not. Also you would need to be back on gluten for a minumim of 6 weeks and even then it may not be enough time to cause enough damage to be visable with a biopsy. I did the same thing. Went gluten-free twice and then back on gluten. When I finally got a doctor to agree to biopsy I went back on gluten very heavily for two months and although my symptoms got progressively worse over that time I still tested negative on the biopsy. For some people the damage occurs at a very slow rate, even though the symptoms are pretty bad. I imagine if you stop the Imodium (which isn't good to take long term anyhow) eventually your symptoms would return.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

I was misdiagnosed with IBS and suffered severe symptoms for many years, and Immodium was my only crutch. To put it simply, it works. I thought I was slowly becoming resistant to it because as the years went on I needed to take more and more to have any effect, but it turns out my intestines were just getting progressively worse. Immodium has been shown to be safe for long-term use, but if it masks symptoms then it might prevent people from getting properly diagnosed since they don't see a doctor after they find a way to mask the symptoms. Your doctor should understand this, after all that's what Immodium is supposed to do.
Immodium works (or so I've read) by causing your large intestine to increase it's internal surface area, thus causing it to extract water from your colon more efficiently. It is in the same class of drugs as morphine but because the molecule is too large to cross the blood-brain barrier it does not effect your brain nor does it have any addictive properties.

#6 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:46 AM

ok thanks for your replys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: