Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Imodium Surpose To Work Good?

6 posts in this topic

well ive been getting sick latley so i took imodium for like 6 days in a row because im waiting to get a blood test done .well i find when i eat anything i seem ok to a certian extent is the imdoium surpose to work like that?i just find it werid im not getting sick beacuse last week i was so sick and anytime i messed up i got super sick.Did this happen to any of you?

Ads by Google:

Immodium just stops you up completely. If your symptoms are all diahreaha then yes your symptons would go away

ok thanks thats one of my symptoms but i still get the nausea,dizzyness,weight loss (soon),thowing up,pains,pains in my arms and legs ever sence i went off the diet duno if that happens to do with it.ok just making sure im gonna stop it anyways because i go to the doctor for my check up.I dont know what to say to her tho because im not getting as sick but its because of the imodium but will she understand that or just think im getting better.

So you are not gluten-free right now, right? I think that is what you are saying. I assume this is for testing purposes?

Imodium can mask some of the symptoms. A lot of what you are describing could be caused by the diarrhea and the subsequent malnutrition. If you do not have the diarrhea, then that may be why the other symptoms are not so obvious. If you are in fact gluten intolerant then your intestines are getting damaged by eating gluten, whether you have symptoms or not. Also you would need to be back on gluten for a minumim of 6 weeks and even then it may not be enough time to cause enough damage to be visable with a biopsy. I did the same thing. Went gluten-free twice and then back on gluten. When I finally got a doctor to agree to biopsy I went back on gluten very heavily for two months and although my symptoms got progressively worse over that time I still tested negative on the biopsy. For some people the damage occurs at a very slow rate, even though the symptoms are pretty bad. I imagine if you stop the Imodium (which isn't good to take long term anyhow) eventually your symptoms would return.

God bless,

Mariann

I was misdiagnosed with IBS and suffered severe symptoms for many years, and Immodium was my only crutch. To put it simply, it works. I thought I was slowly becoming resistant to it because as the years went on I needed to take more and more to have any effect, but it turns out my intestines were just getting progressively worse. Immodium has been shown to be safe for long-term use, but if it masks symptoms then it might prevent people from getting properly diagnosed since they don't see a doctor after they find a way to mask the symptoms. Your doctor should understand this, after all that's what Immodium is supposed to do.

Immodium works (or so I've read) by causing your large intestine to increase it's internal surface area, thus causing it to extract water from your colon more efficiently. It is in the same class of drugs as morphine but because the molecule is too large to cross the blood-brain barrier it does not effect your brain nor does it have any addictive properties.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thanks, I'll check that out. I may have to apply for my own Medicare card in order to get any kind of coeliac-testing done beyond the screen (see above post.)  No, nobody has even mentioned it. I'm unsure if my doctor knows that I do not need to use my hands to vomit, or if she knows about the involuntary vomiting.  I have a part time job at McDonald's and make around $150 per week, which is how I afford to smoke. Mostly, I spend my money on (generally gluten-containing) binge food and cigarettes. I did attempt to start saving money, but then my shifts were cut at work - which meant I had more time to study, but no money, which was kind of pointless. It's complicated. Here in Australia, cigarettes are $25 per pack. These aren't fancy cigarettes either, just your run-of-the-mill Marlboro 20s. Thanks for caring. I am trying to stop I've had the vomiting thing all my life, way before I started smoking. And no, I'm not sure. I know he had an endoscopy and the flattened villi, but I'm not sure if he got a blood test - I assume he would have done, don;t know if it was the full panel. Supposedly he has this FODMAP thing, which I'll admit that I know next to nothing about. Interestingly, people who have to follow low-FODMAP or no-FODMAP diets can't eat gluten either, so there's that. 
    • Would a coeliac screen be the same as a test for antibodies, then? I have no idea why it was even included in my list of tests. It could be my brother, or my symptoms, or both - regardless, I can't say I know too much about the testing.  It's possible that my brother has coeliac disease, I really do worry about it sometimes. He was told to follow a strict low-FODMAP diet by his doctor, and eventually my parents stopped caring. Occasionally they will remind him not to eat things like pasta, greasy foods, etc. because of his condition, but by and large they don't care. He basically just eats whatever he wants. I'm not sure if it affects him or not. However, he isn't shorter than other family members - my dad is 183cm, and my brother is 178cm at the age of 14. Our mother is 173cm.  I do think I have bad digestion, yes. I get gassy and very bloated often, as well as constipated phases (and then following that, diarrhea phases.)  I have tried to ask my mum to call the doctor to get the tests done, but I'm hesitant to mention anything to do with gluten as I know they won't believe me, solely because a good friend of mine has celiac disease. I know they'll think I'm doing it for attention, or to be trendy, when in actual fact I'm just tired of being sick and having no explanation for it other than diet. I'm positive it's not dairy, as I was vegan for a couple of months at one stage. When I went back to eating animal products, I had no issues whatsoever. 
    • He had the IgG ELISA done as well as other blood panels, fecal and saliva tests. He is on an elimination diet right now where foods that score above 0.2 are eliminated for 2-6 months depending on the score, then added back slowly after the detox period.  I am aware that there is a lot of controversy over the IgG, and I'm not here to go into that issue, but I can say with certainty that eliminating the additional foods he reacted to has seen a huge reduction in the symptoms that persisted after cutting gluten and dairy. We will be attempting to add rice back in around October, and see how he does but until then I still need a solution for a baking mix.  I tried to wing it a bit with pumpkin bread today and my attempt was okay but not great. The loaf sank a bit and was overly chewy.  So, to my original question....recipes?
    • Ask the doctor's office!  But usually you can eat right after if you feel like it.  But ask them!  Some of them will try to give you crackers, so you may want to bring some gluten-free applesauce or Rice Chex
    • I'm wondering if he doesn't have an oat problem. He was only dx'd several months ago and really shouldn't use oats for a year after dx. Just thinking out loud. I too am wondering how the rice was picked out of all those other flours to be determined to be affecting him.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Raany