This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Child Hair Loss Related To Celiac?

gabby

gabby Enthusiast

I suspect a neice of mine of having celiac (she has not yet been tested...long story). She's almost 12, and over the course of about 6 weeks lost a substantial amount of hair on her head and continues to lose it. Is hair loss related to celiac disease?

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

It can be There have been threads on it, so I know others have had the problem.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I was losing more than average amounts of hair when I was at my worst. The problem stopped after I started a gluten-free diet.

LKelly8 Rookie

Is it falling out, growing back in, then falling out, growing. . etc?

Or is it falling out and leaving nothing but scalp?

Here's a good "kids" page on hair loss.

Open Original Shared Link

gabby Enthusiast

thanks for the info and the links...I'll dig a bit deeper.

loraleena Contributor

It sounds like what she has is Alopecia. This can be caused by celiac. My son had this 2 years ago and lost about half his hair. I don't know if he has celiac, but now that I at least have gluten intolerance, I am going to test him. By the way we grew all his hair back in 3 months by using natural methods, mainly essential oils. The docs wanted to give him steroids, which they said we could only use for a while, and then his hair would fall out again. I said no way!! About 6 months after the treatment we used, he got another small spot. We used the treatment again and hair grew in 2 weeks!! I urge you to check out Calosol.com. This is where I found the wonderful British man and his natural protocol that grew my son's hair. He was extremely supportive over the course of the treatment and also let me pay in installments do to financial issues. Good luck.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

My dd had very bad hair loss and was actually bald or near-bald on parts of her head. We actually couldn't even put her hair up in a ponytail because you could really see where all the hair was missing.

Her hair fell out in large clumps when gently tugged on and also fell out if we combed it. She still has thin hair although it is no longer falling out. She has been gluten-free for a year.

Her dr. said that she thought that the hair loss was related to her gluten intolerance. I don't know. I just hpe it continues to grow back in and never falls out again. We were afraid that she would be totally bald...

I hope you can find some answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

Just a thought, would malnutritience (sp?) due to malabsorption cause hairloss? Sounds possible doesn't it? Did you ever see someone with severe anorexia, their hair is usually thin and brittle. Like I said, I have no knowledge on this, just an idea.

Archived