20 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

I find that my celiac disease symptoms really worsen during the time of the month that I have my period..... As soon as my diarrhea worsens, I know that I am getting my period the next day. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:04 PM

I was just thinking about this earlier today. I noticed that when I was eating gluten that my diarrhea was much worse during that time of the month. I know that now I try to be careful not to get any accidental gluten during my period, since the reaction will be much worse. It has something to do with all the hormones, but I'm not sure how.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 Wish

Wish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

I noticed this, too! I only had my period twice during the year that I had notable GI symptoms, but both times I was in total agony...to be quite honest the pain made me a big fan of amenorrhea! Since diagnosis I have had several periods that have been much less painful, so based on my experiences I can't help but think that there is a connection between sex hormone levels and the severity of the immune response.

~Wish

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:22 AM

I haven't particularly noticed that, but it makes sense, as you've already gotten the nerves in that area going! But I have noticed that - as far as I can tell - gluten-contamination is the one thing that can really delay ovulation for me. (I chart, so I can tell when I ovulate.) I could be wrong, but it's seemed to be true so far in the past 12 months or so.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

I noticed it was worse around my persiod before I found out about my Celiacs because I was taking gluten containing pain meds. Now, it still happens more so too but I am taking the right pain releavers. I think it has to do with the hormones, stress, and such. I am kind of glad I am not the only one.

#6 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

I've had the problem too, but I never attributed it to gluten.

I've been extra-vigilant on the diet and I still find my bowels very loose at that time. I've always thought it was due to the muscle contractions associated with menstruation, as they are loosest at the beginning when I've got cramps too. In fact, I notice it as soon as the mild cramps start the day B4 my period.

As for ovulation, I've had no change that I know of. I chart too and haven't seen a difference either way.

-donna

#7 MichelleC

MichelleC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:09 PM

Turtle...

What were the problematic pain meds?

Thanks,

Michelle

#8 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

I forget the exact thing I took (this was over a year ago) but it was of Tylenal brand. I would take it sometimes for other things and get sick so I stopped taking it except when I had my period because of the bad cramps I needed something for the pain even if it made me sick. Then when i was diagnosed I knew why it made me sick so I haven't taken it since. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:46 AM

The hormone shift that cause us to menstruate also causes looser stools and diarhhea, so it is natural for even a non-celiac woman to have diarhhea right before her period. For those that already have diarhhea, it only makes it worse. If you have cramps with your period, the muscle contractions will cause continual bowel elimination. It is all tied up together, and all because we are women!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 nthei

nthei

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:10 AM

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I'm having the same problems. I also get even more tired and experience almost flu like symptoms right before I start, then when I start I seem to get back on track. I also get a craving for chocolate and salt! Crazy I know, but true.

Thank you all!

Have a great day!
Christina

#11 AmyandSabastian

AmyandSabastian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:58 AM

I also have the same probelm. I am glad someone mentioned this. One thing about the ovulation. It took us almost a year to have my little one. We are about to start trying again and I am worring that its going to take forever. We plan on going gluten free Aug 1st. Should I wait for a couple of months of being gluten-free? Or shoudl I start now. I dont chart I count days so I am not sure if I ovualte late or what? Any help on this matter would be apprieated.
Amy (25) and Bryan (26)....Gluten Free Aug 1 2004
Sabastian (8 months).... Gluten free May 17 2004

Lafayette, La (The Cajun HeartLand)

It's Just Food!

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

amy, you might want to consider charter. the only thing I've found that delays my ovulation is ingesting gluten, so if you have an accident, you may need to alter when you "try".
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 byuiemily

byuiemily

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

it's interesting that this post has come about at this time, because this past week I've noticed when I "accidently" ingest gluten, my body completely freaks out, 10x worse then it will any other time, and what do you know? I started my period today, and had it not been for this post, I probably would never have connected the two. I will remember from now on to be especially careful around that time of the month, because it certainly threw me for a loop this month. I went to go eat at my friend's grandma's house on Monday and there was a dish that had bread in it, and I went ahead and ate it anyways since my body had seemed to take the past few "accidents" fairly well, and 15 minutes later I was in their bathroom, for the next 30 minutes....can we say embarrasing? To say the least, I'm going to have to very very careful for the next few weeks since once I have a really bad bout with my body, it doesn't settle back down very easily.
Emily Wilkes
Diagnosed August 2002 at age 17

#14 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:10 AM

My periods are always right on schedule, but they last 7-8 days! I have always had major cramps, and I have had hot flashes around period time since I got pregnant with my first child at 18 years old (people don't often believe me since this is something that most women don't get until menopause). I had to have pre-cancerous cells taken from my cervix 2 years ago also, I am now 27. Every woman in my Mom's side of the family have had at least a partial historectomy in their late 30's or early 40's. So, I am sure that will happen to me too. Anyone else had any of these issues???

Deanna

#15 byuiemily

byuiemily

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

I can't say that I've had the problem with the pre-cancerous cells, but my periods too last for a week if not a few days over that and my cramps are unbelievable; nothing seems to dull the pain. I also get hot flash sensations during my period (havent had a baby though) but I never really told anyone about that, because I figured it was normal...maybe it's not? *shrugs* I'm learning new things everyday about other parts of my life that are affected by celiac disease.
Emily Wilkes
Diagnosed August 2002 at age 17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: