88 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

Okay so like its realy summer now, and my 90 min walks with my wife in the "cool" even hours are over. I cant take 85 degrees, never mind the 100+ we have been seeing. SO I pulled out my treadmill (and my trusty soddering iron to repair it...) and plan to jog on that for now.

This is where I should note I have a heart conditoin.... :D

But this hypoglycmia diet stuff is killing me wieght wise, up about 10 pounds since starting it. Today I ran for about 30 mins, and got about 2.2 miles in... horrid compared to what I did in HS, but time at a desk will do that do you! Thinkink I could try to do that every day for a while and see how it goes. That was about 4.5mph, but it was realy pushing it. In fact fell off once! :) Then did about 2 mins of cool down walking.

The odd thing that I cant figure out is my feet after a whiel get that pins and needles feeling like they are falling asleep.

So umm, what was I gonna ask again... OH YEA! Whats a good starting plan for this? My main goal realy is to exercise my heart, see if I cant get my ejection faction up before the next heart scan so I dont have to go on all kinds of wierdo meds!

Thanks!

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

There is a formula for the appropriate heart rate that uses your age. I'll look and see if I can find it on the net ...

You should keep your heart rate at the level for cardiovascular fitness for at least 20 minutes per session. With your heart condition, I would recommend running it by your doctor as he may suggest starting out at a lower heart rate. Don't worry about number of miles, to work out your heart, it's time and heart rate that are important.

Here's a heart rate calculator I found: http://exercise.abou...ls/l/bl_THR.htm
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

How the heck do you check that while your running? I kept trying but just did not work out. AFTER my cool down I timed about 120 bpm though.

- Vincent -

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

The odd thing that I cant figure out is my feet after a whiel get that pins and needles feeling like they are falling asleep.
Thanks!

I had this problem. I do the elliptical machine, so I don't have to worry so much about support in my shoes since it's no impact. I wear my shoes loose and don't have that problem anymore. Be sure you have good support though for running.

How the heck do you check that while your running? I kept trying but just did not work out. AFTER my cool down I timed about 120 bpm though.

Ha, the machines in the gym do it for me. You can get a heart rate monitor, or slow down to a walk and take it while walking. Take it on your neck rather than your wrist, it's easier. Obviously, you need a clock. If you take it for 6 seconds, just multiply by 10.
gluten-free 12/05

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Well I need buy some running shoes thats for sure, the hiking boots that I normaly wear prbly not the best choice I guess....

- Vincent -

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

Well I need buy some running shoes thats for sure, the hiking boots that I normaly wear prbly not the best choice I guess....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Running shoes would be a great start! Hiking boots on a treadmill :o
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Running shoes would be a great start! Hiking boots on a treadmill :o

Yea i could not hear the TV over the THUD THUD THUD :lol:

- Vincent -

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

4.5mph is faster that I can run for half an hour! :-) If you're truely working on just cardio, and having a heart condition, you want to go for duration, not speed.

Given how hard you were working, I would suggest the following:

1. Don't run every day. Especially if, until now, you had been primarily walking. No more than five days a week - your rest days non-consecutive - for the first four weeks.

2. Slow down first. Falling off is not a good sigh, you silly over-achieving man. :P Just like my husband when we went trail running... He went faster than me the first mile, then I kicked his ass the next mile and a half.

3. Try to work towards 45 minute, sustained intensity jogs. Nothing high intensity.

4. Get some running shoes (appropriate for your feet)!

5. While you're a man and can train faster than a woman (darn all that testosterone you have), you're not an 18-year old man. Overtraining is easy to do at first.

A possibly training schedule would be:
1. This week: 30 min @ 4mph x 2 / 35 min @ 4mph x 2
2. Next week: 40 min @ 4mph x 2 / 40 min @ 4.2mph x 2
3. Third week: 40 min @ 4.5mph x 2 / 40 min @ 5mph x 2
4. Fourth week: 45 minutes at 5mph
5. Fifth week - play around with it, but don't worry about increasing in speed so much as increasing in duration
(If you choose to do 5 days a week, consider making the fifth day just an inclined walk - set the incline for something steep (mine goes up to 10%), and see if you can do 3mph or even just 2.5mph. It's another interesting challenge. If you can't stand sitting still on your days of rest, don't do more than long walks - your muscles need time to recoup from the running, and days of rest are important for preventing injury. Something my husband has to remind me of often.)

BTW, if you're treadmill isn't in line of sight to a TV or game console, I highly encourage mounting a cheap 17" LCD monitor to the wall, getting an adapter so you can hook up a playstation to it, getting a wireless playstation controller, and then being able to play games while running (or watch DVD's...). :D
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

ROFL I can totally picture this!! Yea, get the right shoes, the feet will feel better. Of course, the shoes won't be so heavy, so you'll have to run faster to get your heart rate up!
gluten-free 12/05

#10 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

2. Slow down first. Falling off is not a good sigh, you silly over-achieving man. tongue.gif Just like my husband when we went trail running... He went faster than me the first mile, then I kicked his ass the next mile and a half.

LOL well I fell off cause I lost focus for a bit :D I used to run Winter Track, Spring Track, and Cross Country in HS, I was never a super star, but I used to manage a 5 min mile :( and ran the 5k in like 20 mins. LIke I said, not a superstar! :D Infact was one of the slowest on my team... but was good exercise!

Running out the door will read and consider the rest of your post when I get back, thanks!!!!

- Vincent -

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

LOL well I fell off cause I lost focus for a bit :D I used to run Winter Track, Spring Track, and Cross Country in HS, I was never a super star, but I used to manage a 5 min mile :( and ran the 5k in like 20 mins. LIke I said, not a superstar! :D Infact was one of the slowest on my team... but was good exercise!

Running out the door will read and consider the rest of your post when I get back, thanks!!!!

Oh, excellent! You know what you're getting into!
My husband ran track through HS as well. He's the one who trained me. :-) I envy the fact that you guys can train so quickly. :-P He's only been out of high school for 10 years, but he's noticed that he can't train nearly as quickly these days, and that his body just can't take the same abuse it used to be able to.

Since you know what you're getting into, I suggest ditching my suggestions, and googling online for training suggestions, but toning them down a little bit. It's still length over speed (I know, I know, you'll miss the glory days, but until your aerobic capacity lets you run 6 minute miles with a moderate heart rate, it's not going to do you a lot of good), of course, but you've got a good back ground for training!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 Vladimir Gluten

Vladimir Gluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

Wait a second! You ran a 5 minute mile? And you were one of the slowest in HS? Did you go to HS in Kenya?

Why the heck are you asking us again? The fastest I ever ran a mile was in six minutes. LOL!

OK here are the basics of what you need to do.

1. Shoes!!! Get a good pair of shoes!!
2. Don't do too much too soon (shin splints).
3. Realize you can't stare at the stars and run at the same time.

#13 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

Vladimir, is that you in your avatar???? How the heck did you get in that position?????
gluten-free 12/05

#14 Vladimir Gluten

Vladimir Gluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:56 PM

Nah! That's not me. If only I could get a tan. But my red hair and Irish heritage prevents that.

I've done that before but I've never had a person around that could take the picture correctly. It's all about the shutter speed. You are actually only in that position for a half second.

I stumbled across the picture when I was visiting kayak sites. I love to kayak.

BTW. Nice picture (you two look happy).

VG

#15 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

Nah! That's not me. If only I could get a tan. But my red hair and Irish heritage prevents that.

I've done that before but I've never had a person around that could take the picture correctly. It's all about the shutter speed. You are actually only in that position for a half second.

I stumbled across the picture when I was visiting kayak sites. I love to kayak.

BTW. Nice picture (you two look happy).

VG

Thank you. Twenty one years of marriage and still best friends.

I've never been kayaking. Sounds fun.

Irish heritage, gluten problem, what a surprise! I have English heritage and am pale, but tan easily. Strange, my grandfather who passed on his English heritage (and gluten intolerance, but never diagnosed, always had stomach and joint problems though), also was fair and blue eyed, but tanned easily.
gluten-free 12/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: