This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cardio - How To Get Started ?

VydorScope

tarnalberry Community Regular
Today though I think I will head to a store for shoes, I HATE shoe shopping though, I wear a tripple or quadruple E (pending brand) and its VERY hard to find anything decent, esply if you dont want to take a a 3rd mortage to buy a pair....

Oh yea, I might call the cardiodude :P too.

If you're sore today, start with three days a week. You'll be doing more soon enough... and it'll give some time for the weather to cool down. :-)

A friend of mine has wide feet (and small feet) and says the only shoes she can ever get is appropriately wide widths is New Balance. Try finding a store that specializes in running shoes (hooray for google), so they can properly fit your feet for arch support and motion control, and they will also not only be the most likely to have your size in stock, but may be willing to order odd sizes for you to just try, or direct you where you can find odd sizes. (They're generally staffed by running-geeks who know that it's better to get you in good shoes than to have you run in bad shoes - if you run in bad shoes, you'll stop running, and then wouldn't even come back to buy other running accessories.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient
If you're sore today, start with three days a week. You'll be doing more soon enough... and it'll give some time for the weather to cool down. :-)

A friend of mine has wide feet (and small feet) and says the only shoes she can ever get is appropriately wide widths is New Balance. Try finding a store that specializes in running shoes (hooray for google), so they can properly fit your feet for arch support and motion control, and they will also not only be the most likely to have your size in stock, but may be willing to order odd sizes for you to just try, or direct you where you can find odd sizes. (They're generally staffed by running-geeks who know that it's better to get you in good shoes than to have you run in bad shoes - if you run in bad shoes, you'll stop running, and then wouldn't even come back to buy other running accessories.)

Yea New Balance is what I wore when I ran in HS. Was the only running shoe I could find that fit.

CarlaB Enthusiast
How much do they run?

They don't run at all, you still do all the running. :lol:

Call your cardiodude!! Right now!!

VydorScope Proficient

Oh fudge... forgot to call the cardiodude, wonder if he has email....

CarlaB Enthusiast
Oh fudge... forgot to call the cardiodude, wonder if he has email....

You're like me, I hate calling people on the phone ... give him a call.

VydorScope Proficient
You're like me, I hate calling people on the phone ... give him a call.

Bah left a message with the "nurse" (doubt it was actually a nurse, sounded to clueless).

VydorScope Proficient

UMMMMM :o ERRR Well scratch just about everything you read in this thread out. :blink: Cause umm the "nurse" called back and siad that the doc said DONT YOU DARE! Well okay it was more of "He wants you to wait till your follow up MUGA scan befor you run at all" :huh: So I guess I will just walk on the treadmill. I guess dont need the warm up/cool down for that realy, maybe like 45 mins walking or somthing. I dunno. I see him Aug 7th for the MUGA and I guess I will talk to him more then.

:ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm glad you called. Better safe than sorry!

VydorScope Proficient

His answer realy bugs me, and worries me. :(

You see I have been rejected non-stop by zillions of life insurance angencys for coverage cause of my heart thingy (Left Bundle Branch Block + Low Ejection fraction). They all treat it like its a extremly serious thing, but Mr CardioDude has always been like "no worries man, its like just a thing, ya'know" (well not exactly... but thats the general gist..) and told me no treatment is needed just monitoring... but if thats true, why cant I get a little exercise in? :(

CarlaB Enthusiast

Maybe because he knows men tend to overexert themselves on treadmills??? I'm sure some walking would work, and it's good exercise, too. I wouldn't worry too much until you go see him.

jerseyangel Proficient

I think he just wants to go over everything with you. That way, you'll know how to go about training safely for your condition.

Because the difference between walking and running, on the heart, is pretty darn big!

Good for you for calling. And for sticking to the walking. I know, it sucks. I'm with ya on wanting to do more. But there's no sense in hurting ourselves for it... trips to the ER just aren't worth it!

VydorScope Proficient
Because the difference between walking and running, on the heart, is pretty darn big!

Good for you for calling. And for sticking to the walking. I know, it sucks. I'm with ya on wanting to do more. But there's no sense in hurting ourselves for it... trips to the ER just aren't worth it!

but will I get enough of a work out to help at all by merely walking?

but will I get enough of a work out to help at all by merely walking?

yes. absolutely yes. walking gets your heart rate up higher than sitting, higher than standing, higher than putzing around the house. (not necessarily higher than running around the house chasing a kid with a spilling cup of grape juice on new white carpet, however. :P )

... ok... I spent 5 minutes w/ google to get a better picture here ...

the walking - at a slow pace - is going to keep your heart muscle knowing that it needs regular demands, but not put very increased demands on it that would cause electric signal issues due to the bundle branch block (definitely don't want to do that - and you should think about whether what happened when running was from that). it will also keep the rest of your muscles in better shape (yes, even small amounts of non-strenuous exercise do this - there's chemical signalling for ya) which reduces the muscles need for oxygen, which helps your body function better despite getting less oxygenated blood than it might otherwise get due to a low EF.

yes, walking is just fine. you're not going for superman. :P

VydorScope Proficient
and you should think about whether what happened when running was from that).

What do you mean? :huh:

What do you mean? :huh:

what I looked up noted that bundle branch block was an issue with electrical signaling between the different portions of the heart, sometimes exacerbated by exercise, causing the heart to beat out of sync because the electric impulse signal doesn't travel appropriately through the heart muscle and that can cause heart pain, fainting, or dizziness. (I only spent five minutes researching... forgive me if I read anything incorrectly.) when I read that, it reminded me of what you said about 'falling off' (I figured you never meant it literally of course). I didn't mean to imply that this *is* what happened, just that it's worth thinking about whether or not that was an issue while you were running the other day. the reading I did implied it usually wasn't a big issue, but I'm no doctor, and it came to mind.

VydorScope Proficient
what I looked up noted that bundle branch block was an issue with electrical signaling between the different portions of the heart, sometimes exacerbated by exercise, causing the heart to beat out of sync because the electric impulse signal doesn't travel appropriately through the heart muscle and that can cause heart pain, fainting, or dizziness. (I only spent five minutes researching... forgive me if I read anything incorrectly.) when I read that, it reminded me of what you said about 'falling off' (I figured you never meant it literally of course). I didn't mean to imply that this *is* what happened, just that it's worth thinking about whether or not that was an issue while you were running the other day. the reading I did implied it usually wasn't a big issue, but I'm no doctor, and it came to mind.

:unsure: I did mean litteray... lost focus for a min weee... :unsure:

:lol:

VydorScope Proficient

I guess maybe I need to look for walking shoes instead. :(

CarlaB Enthusiast
I guess maybe I need to look for walking shoes instead. :(

Or wait till your doctor visit.

VydorScope Proficient
Or wait till your doctor visit.

I guess I can walk on tread mill in hiking boots, since I use to do my 90 min around the nieghborhood tour in them....

CarlaB Enthusiast
I guess I can walk on tread mill in hiking boots, since I use to do my 90 min around the nieghborhood tour in them....

LOL :lol: I can hear that clump, clump, clump right now!

VydorScope Proficient

DID I mention I HATE shoe shooping? I did try to get running shoes yesterday and I could not find a single pair to fit. I was able to find my "size" ( 9 1/2 - EEEE) but the heels felt like they sliding off, but in the 9's my big toe felt like it was scatching the front of the shoe every step. The width was a little snug, but I think it would stretch okay. I tried ever 4E I could find between 8 1/2 and 11 but none fit.

This is why I went to hiking boots to begin with.. they just fit better. :( BTW I have wieghed them, they are not bad.. only FOUR POUNDS :lol:

penguin Community Regular

That can't be good for the treadmill :blink:

VydorScope Proficient

Well for a change I decided to be a typical male and disregaurd the docs restrcitons. :lol:

I started walking and realzied my "walking" speed was about 3.3 MPH, so I figure if I was doing that for 90 mins all spring, then 4.0 mph for 30 mins should be fine till my scan, so thats what I did. But was a bit harder this time, prbly cause I gave blood yesterday :lol: I stoped a few times and check my pulse and it was 125-130 everytime so I dont think I am pushing to hard. Think I will just do 30mins@4.0 M/W/F till the doc finds out...err I mean till my next heart scan. :)

Well for a change I decided to be a typical male and disregaurd the docs restrcitons. :lol:

I started walking and realzied my "walking" speed was about 3.3 MPH, so I figure if I was doing that for 90 mins all spring, then 4.0 mph for 30 mins should be fine till my scan, so thats what I did. But was a bit harder this time, prbly cause I gave blood yesterday :lol: I stoped a few times and check my pulse and it was 125-130 everytime so I dont think I am pushing to hard. Think I will just do 30mins@4.0 M/W/F till the doc finds out...err I mean till my next heart scan. :)

lol! :P It's bad, but I understand! :P Though, doing that the day after you gave blood... You crazy man, you crazy. Get some extra fruit in you tonight!

Archived