88 replies to this topic

#16 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

Thank you. Twenty one years of marriage and still best friends.

I've never been kayaking. Sounds fun.

Irish heritage, gluten problem, what a surprise! I have English heritage and am pale, but tan easily. Strange, my grandfather who passed on his English heritage (and gluten intolerance, but never diagnosed, always had stomach and joint problems though), also was fair and blue eyed, but tanned easily.

Kayaking is great! You should definitely give it a try! (Get a kayak with a rudder, for your first time. It will make the learning experience more enjoyable. :-) ) And given all that paleness, plenty of sunblock! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

Kayaking is great! You should definitely give it a try! (Get a kayak with a rudder, for your first time. It will make the learning experience more enjoyable. :-) ) And given all that paleness, plenty of sunblock! :-)

Thanks for the advice! That pic was taken back in May, I've got a good tan going now! :D I wonder where I could kayak around here ... hmmm, have to look into it!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#18 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

My experience is that guys with backgrounds in sports like track have an impossible time finding a reasonable pace on the treadmill. They always start way too fast for their present condition.

I recommend you start with a 15 minute mile, and check your pulse every 15 minutes. This will feel really slow, but it is important not to overdo it, as overdoing it will not get you in shape more quickly. Your target heartrate should be about 120-140. If you have a workout where you don't reach that, turn the treadmill up one-tenth of a mile per hour for the next workout. This will take a lot longer than when you were young and capable of quick recovery after really hard workouts. You're in it for the long haul, so hang in there.

You might want to invest in a heart monitor.
Nothing

#19 cathzozo

cathzozo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hi! Like everyone said you need to get running shoes, and also make sure they are roomy because your feet increase in size while you are running. Our running store suggests a whole size bigger than you normally wear.

And I second getting a heart rate monitor if you can afford it. I don't have one right now, but I had one on long-term loan for awhile and that was cool. I also have one built into my stationary bike. It's very instructive to see what your heart rate is. After a while, though, you will be able to listen to your body better.

http://www.trifuel.c...ster-001091.php
Here's an article about improving your aerobic base. It explains to spend several weeks in 60-80% of your MHR so that you can improve your aerobic capacity. It's good stuff if you get a heart rate monitor.

Good luck!
Catherine
Catherine

Gluten Free Since 4/1/06 and feeling much nicer!

#20 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:14 PM

Wait a second! You ran a 5 minute mile? And you were one of the slowest in HS? Did you go to HS in Kenya?

I happened to be running on the state championship team at the time LOL They were hitting close 4 min miles, I was also running over 120 miles a week at the time, AND riding my bike to and from pratice. I was a freaking nutcase :D . But since you asked, Toms River HS North, NJ.

Work outs for that was nuts though! Dont think I could handle the 1/4mile full out sprint foolowed by 1/4mil jog (repeat 10 times, no breaks) any more! Gosh those sucked big time!

3. Try to work towards 45 minute, sustained intensity jogs. Nothing high intensity.

So does that include cooldown/warm up? I was thinking 5 mins fast walk warm up, and decreasing speed 5 min cool down, with 30 mins at what ever speed I could manage.

BTW, if you're treadmill isn't in line of sight to a TV or game console, I highly encourage mounting a cheap 17" LCD monitor to the wall, getting an adapter so you can hook up a playstation to it, getting a wireless playstation controller, and then being able to play games while running (or watch DVD's...).

I use my laptop for TV while I run currently I plan to get some educational type DVD's in time to help use the time more effectively. :D

4.5mph is faster that I can run for half an hour! :-) If you're truely working on just cardio, and having a heart condition, you want to go for duration, not speed.

Well I hope to drop about 7-10 pounds that I picked up on the hyposugarstuff diet, but basicly my main concern is my underperforming heart. I guess I should check with the cardiodude to make sure this is safe, huh? :rolleyes:

My experience is that guys with backgrounds in sports like track have an impossible time finding a reasonable pace on the treadmill. They always start way too fast for their present condition.

Thats couse its so depressing. Thankfully my coach is several states away!

You might want to invest in a heart monitor.

How much do they run?

(If you choose to do 5 days a week, consider making the fifth day just an inclined walk - set the incline for something steep (mine goes up to 10%), and see if you can do 3mph or even just 2.5mph. It's another interesting challenge. If you can't stand sitting still on your days of rest, don't do more than long walks - your muscles need time to recoup from the running, and days of rest are important for preventing injury. Something my husband has to remind me of often.)

Umm so that walk I just took with my wife around a garden conservaotry (indoors) was a bad plan ? :D

1. Don't run every day. Especially if, until now, you had been primarily walking. No more than five days a week - your rest days non-consecutive - for the first four weeks.

So every other day basicly?

Oh, excellent! You know what you're getting into!

Not realy, not as far as planning/etc goes, I just did what ever the coach said and did not think much aobut it. I was there for the exercise, not the sport realy. Adrenaline is a natural treatment for many mental disorders, so it was more of therapy then anything. :)

- Vincent -

#21 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

So does that include cooldown/warm up? I was thinking 5 mins fast walk warm up, and decreasing speed 5 min cool down, with 30 mins at what ever speed I could manage.

you look like you're looking for a challenge, so I wouldn't include the warm up, but you could if you wanted to.

Well I hope to drop about 7-10 pounds that I picked up on the hyposugarstuff diet, but basicly my main concern is my underperforming heart. I guess I should check with the cardiodude to make sure this is safe, huh? :rolleyes:

*shakes finger* yes, you should be checking with your cardio-dude. (and make sure to call him that too! :P ) but see, here is where your testosterone-laden system will get you into trouble. you are no longer going for the adrenaline rush of "whatever speed you can manage". you are going for a specific effect, and that's one that will be obtained at a slower speed than your top speed. better get some more interesting DVD's? ;-) the conditioning you're looking for is one that comes from endurance, not speed. if you ran track, maybe you had to run a 10k? and you remember that you ran that a lot slower than running a mile. you're aiming to run 10k's here, not miles. and you're not doing time trials. in fact, if you can't keep a conversation going while you're running, it's a really quick sign that you're working too hard. *that* is not something you want to do with a heart condition. start slow slow slow, ESPECIALLY with an underperforming heart.

Umm so that walk I just took with my wife around a garden conservaotry (indoors) was a bad plan ? :D So every other day basicly?

No! I didn't mean to say that, exactly. I just mean that you don't want to run every day. You need days of rest. Walking is fabulous. If you're willing to not run every day (which would be better, but it seemed like you wanted to), alternating running with walking would be great! I wanted to suggest three days of running a week, but got the impression you'd disregard that as "too wimpy". :P Besides, how can a walk through a garden with the wife be a bad thing? :-) That leads to bonus excersize. :ph34r:

eKatherine is right - it's very easy to start too fast (on or off a treadmill). pacing yourself is *hard*. but besides getting a heart monitor (probably a very wise choice, and worth a trip to the sporting goods store after talking to your cardio, eh?), use that conversation test. make sure you can talk reasonably comfortably *while* running. you shouldn't be out of breath. if you are, you're working too hard.

btw, rei seems to have heart rate monitors (the variety with the chest strap) for as low as $50. I would imagine a sporting goods store may have them a bit cheaper.
Bellevue, WA

#22 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

No! I didn't mean to say that, exactly. I just mean that you don't want to run every day. You need days of rest. Walking is fabulous. If you're willing to not run every day (which would be better, but it seemed like you wanted to), alternating running with walking would be great! I wanted to suggest three days of running a week, but got the impression you'd disregard that as "too wimpy". tongue.gif Besides, how can a walk through a garden with the wife be a bad thing? :-) That leads to bonus excersize.

No, dont assume stuff like that. :D Remeber I am the numbers geek? I am far more intrested in the "best" plan, then the macho one. :P So say I run Mon/Wens/Fri, 30 mins @ 4 mph, plus 5warm/cool? Walking is almost not an option, since its to WAY hot out side and its not often we have a sitter so that we can walk in the garden conservatory. I could walk on the treadmill I guess.... why would walking be a good plan? Do you mean do it on the rest days (say tues/thurs) or instead of a run day?

Hopfully I will think to call the cardiodude tommorow...

- Vincent -

#23 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

No, dont assume stuff like that. :D Remeber I am the numbers geek? I am far more intrested in the "best" plan, then the macho one. :P So say I run Mon/Wens/Fri, 30 mins @ 4 mph, plus 5warm/cool? Walking is almost not an option, since its to WAY hot out side and its not often we have a sitter so that we can walk in the garden conservatory. I could walk on the treadmill I guess.... why would walking be a good plan? Do you mean do it on the rest days (say tues/thurs) or instead of a run day?

Hopfully I will think to call the cardiodude tommorow...

Yep, I meant walking would be great for the days you're not running. My FIL had a heart attack a few years ago and regularly goes on 1-2 hour walks (~18-20 minute miles, I think), nearly every day - but he has no interest in running, and does west coast swing two or three times a week. It's good because your body needs a rest from the impact of running, but it'll still give you an increased aerobic demand. Think of it as a minimal break. :)

Say, can you go for walks, in the evening, with your son? I know my in-laws used to do that with their kids, and they always would have talks about how things worked, or make up stories, or map out the area they were walking through. Eh... It sounds nice hearing about it. I don't know if it cools down quickly enough where you are, though.

Running M/W/F @ 4mph for 30min, plus 5min warmup and cooldown is probably good. But if you can't carry off a conversation at that speed, slow it down (a lot) and work your way up, 0.2mph at a time. (I'm impatient too. :-) ) While your cardio may say that 30 minutes of exercise a day is fine, remember that he may give you minimum numbers, designed to get lazy Americans, who would rather pay someone to exercise so they can sit in front of the TV, to do the minimum. Aim for - eventually - running longer than that (up to an hour if you've got it, and you're joints are in good shape - and you've ditched those hiking shoes, heck, running barefoot might be better than hiking shoes!). Don't increase too quickly (I wouldn't increase time by more than 5 minutes per week). You're heart is a muscle - and it sounds like it may be a weak one - and it needs time to grow into the demands you're going to place on it. (This is almost making me feel *lucky* to have asthma - my lungs are the limiting factor on my running at this point.)

The thing is, like the hypoglycemic stuff, it's hard to say what the "best" plan is. BUT! There's good news! It's *much* easier to figure it out than the hypoglycemic stuff! :-) The 4mph for 30 minute thing feel just a little challenging? Keep with it for the week, then bump it up. Were you huffin' and puffin' and couldn't carry a conversation? Slow down your speed (0.2 increments) until you can carry a conversation, and keep at it for a week, then bump it up. Was it easy-peasy, and you got off there ready to run another two miles? Keep going for another 5 minutes. Still too easy? Next run day, bump up the speed - a little (0.2) - and see how it goes. As you continue, your body will tell you what to do next.

Basic rules of thumb to always remember:
1. Always be able to carry on a conversation. :-) (I'm nothing if not repetitious)
2. Increase distance or speed - not both at the same time.
3. Get good shoes for your feet.

Definitely ask your cardio if he/she has any training advice, however, or who might be able to help with that. My understanding is that speed increases are times you need to be careful with weak heart muscles, but I don't know a lot about the heart.
Bellevue, WA

#24 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:58 AM

Say, can you go for walks, in the evening, with your son? I know my in-laws used to do that with their kids, and they always would have talks about how things worked, or make up stories, or map out the area they were walking through. Eh... It sounds nice hearing about it. I don't know if it cools down quickly enough where you are, though.

Last night, we got home at nearly 8pm and the thermometer was reading 99. Thas about 19 degrees over my outdoors cut off! Kristi and I took our son for a walk when it was in the 70's for a while. Walked about 5 miles daily. Was nice while it lasted... :(

Running M/W/F @ 4mph for 30min, plus 5min warmup and cooldown is probably good. But if you can't carry off a conversation at that speed, slow it down (a lot) and work your way up, 0.2mph at a time. (I'm impatient too. :-) ) While your cardio may say that 30 minutes of exercise a day is fine, remember that he may give you minimum numbers, designed to get lazy Americans, who would rather pay someone to exercise so they can sit in front of the TV, to do the minimum. Aim for - eventually - running longer than that (up to an hour if you've got it, and you're joints are in good shape - and you've ditched those hiking shoes, heck, running barefoot might be better than hiking shoes!). Don't increase too quickly (I wouldn't increase time by more than 5 minutes per week). You're heart is a muscle - and it sounds like it may be a weak one - and it needs time to grow into the demands you're going to place on it. (This is almost making me feel *lucky* to have asthma - my lungs are the limiting factor on my running at this point.)

Okay thats what I'll do. I am a bit stiff/sore today heh. I dunno about walking on my off days though, I guess I could do it on the tread mill. But prehaps I best just start with M/W/F @ 30 mins and see if I can force myself to think this is a good plan. :huh:

Today though I think I will head to a store for shoes, I HATE shoe shopping though, I wear a tripple or quadruple E (pending brand) and its VERY hard to find anything decent, esply if you dont want to take a a 3rd mortage to buy a pair....

Oh yea, I might call the cardiodude :P too.

- Vincent -

#25 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:16 AM

Call the dude today! We don't want anything to happen to you :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#26 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:11 AM

Today though I think I will head to a store for shoes, I HATE shoe shopping though, I wear a tripple or quadruple E (pending brand) and its VERY hard to find anything decent, esply if you dont want to take a a 3rd mortage to buy a pair....
Oh yea, I might call the cardiodude :P too.

If you're sore today, start with three days a week. You'll be doing more soon enough... and it'll give some time for the weather to cool down. :-)

A friend of mine has wide feet (and small feet) and says the only shoes she can ever get is appropriately wide widths is New Balance. Try finding a store that specializes in running shoes (hooray for google), so they can properly fit your feet for arch support and motion control, and they will also not only be the most likely to have your size in stock, but may be willing to order odd sizes for you to just try, or direct you where you can find odd sizes. (They're generally staffed by running-geeks who know that it's better to get you in good shoes than to have you run in bad shoes - if you run in bad shoes, you'll stop running, and then wouldn't even come back to buy other running accessories.)
Bellevue, WA

#27 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

If you're sore today, start with three days a week. You'll be doing more soon enough... and it'll give some time for the weather to cool down. :-)

A friend of mine has wide feet (and small feet) and says the only shoes she can ever get is appropriately wide widths is New Balance. Try finding a store that specializes in running shoes (hooray for google), so they can properly fit your feet for arch support and motion control, and they will also not only be the most likely to have your size in stock, but may be willing to order odd sizes for you to just try, or direct you where you can find odd sizes. (They're generally staffed by running-geeks who know that it's better to get you in good shoes than to have you run in bad shoes - if you run in bad shoes, you'll stop running, and then wouldn't even come back to buy other running accessories.)

Yea New Balance is what I wore when I ran in HS. Was the only running shoe I could find that fit.

- Vincent -

#28 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

How much do they run?

They don't run at all, you still do all the running. :lol:

Call your cardiodude!! Right now!!
gluten-free 12/05

#29 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

Oh fudge... forgot to call the cardiodude, wonder if he has email....

- Vincent -

#30 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Oh fudge... forgot to call the cardiodude, wonder if he has email....

You're like me, I hate calling people on the phone ... give him a call.
gluten-free 12/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: