14 replies to this topic

#1 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

Ok so i have to admit, since getting sick about 4 months ago, i have not had any really truly physical exertion. besides for biking to and from work everyday that was about it. Yesterday i was in a part of town i had not been in since i was a little lad. so i desided to grab my skateboard and head down there to see if my old skate friend s still live there. indeed they did so we persisted to skate from 9am to around 4 or 5pm. in a blazing 90 degree sun. im burned to a crisp right now, after boarding all day we desided to go swimming on campus, so we hoped into a car and headed to the swimcenter. went swimming for about 2 hours. now i felt slightly sore last night, and i ended up crashing before everyone else (acually they where throwing a party and i could not stay awake and went tobed before it even started) well now this morning im in crap loads of pain. it hurts to brethe, it hurts to move my legs it hurts ot move my arms i am sore all over. Is this caused by my phyiscal exertion? will it go away once my body gets used to working so hard? im gonna go back to laying down it hurts to sit up right

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Sounds to me like you just plain overdid it yesterday! If you're not used to that kind of physical cativity, doing hours of skateboarding and then swimming all in one day is going to make you pretty sore. It's always worse after about 24 hours. If you can take a couple Tylenol or other mild pain medication (I use Extra Strength Bufferin for muscle pain), that would take the edge off. Get some rest :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

Yep, you overdid it! The sun takes a lot out of you, too. Use some sunscreen next time if you're going to be out between 11-3!!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:40 AM

sounds like a combination of physical exertion (the soreness is always worse 12-24 hours after, not immediately after, the activity), and possibly sun sickness. if you're really burnt all over, you're body has to deal with that too, and that will make you feel pretty crappy all on it's own. take cool baths, as you can.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

what brands of pain relever are gluten free? i have had headaces for the past 4 days and i remeber hearing that wheat is used as a binder for most pills so i have just let them hurt

#6 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

Actually, corn is the filler/binder for most pills. Second would probably be tapioca.

Tylenol is definitely gluten-free, but I'm not sure about the rapid release. Advil and aleve are also gluten-free.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

The last I checked, the Rapid Release was not gluten-free. Possibly it was too new then--that could have changed, but you'd have to check with them to make sure. Bufferin is gluten-free *except* for the 325mg. tablets. If you can tolerate aspirin, the Bufferin Extra Strength is great for a nasty headache.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

I just checked - all I could find is that the rapid release gels are gluten-free in canada, not useful for those of us stateside, though <_<

All the recent Tylenol lists say that Rapid Release Gels haven't been tested yet, but they don't *expect* to find gluten in them, FWIW. Those lists are from late June.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#9 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

Advil is gluten-free. Not sure if it would be better than Tylenol in your case, but I use it all the time.
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

with the sunburn and muscle soreness, I would encourage an anti-infammatory as well - so advil or aleve. (ibuprofen or naproxen sodium)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 Girl Ninja

Girl Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

I get awful headaches. I'd be lost without excedrin migraine. Excedrin tension headache for those who can't have aspirin.

#12 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:17 AM

i think i really overdid it. its 2 days after all that exercise and im still really sore, my ribs are so sore i cant tuch them, they feel like there puffed up on the sides ouch..... note to self dont exersise that much in one day

#13 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

I suffered the exact same thing. During my era of Celiac harm (which was around...five months?) I became inactive from pain. Once I actually had energy to do my normal things (rollerblade, swim, run, Colorguard) I became very, very, very sore and tired for a bit. I'm dealing better with it and I think you'll do the same.

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#14 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

I get awful headaches. I'd be lost without excedrin migraine. Excedrin tension headache for those who can't have aspirin.

Do you know if Excedrin Tension Headache pills are gluten free for sure? I used to use them and they worked well for me. The dose of caffeine helps keep my headaches from turning into migraines. But the makers of Excedrin won't reply to any of my requests for information. :angry: So I stopped asking and I stopped using it. Now I have to have a soda when I feel my headache turning bad and I don't like soda. I can't drink coffee because it irritates my intestines and I just feel trapped! So if you know for sure they are gluten-free, then I can consider using them again. I don't do aspirin.

BTW, they are not on any gluten-free med list I have found either, but almost all (or maybe all) other Excedrin products are gluten-free as far as I can tell...
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#15 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:18 AM

Ok so i have to admit, since getting sick about 4 months ago, i have not had any really truly physical exertion. besides for biking to and from work everyday that was about it. Yesterday i was in a part of town i had not been in since i was a little lad. so i desided to grab my skateboard and head down there to see if my old skate friend s still live there. indeed they did so we persisted to skate from 9am to around 4 or 5pm. in a blazing 90 degree sun. im burned to a crisp right now, after boarding all day we desided to go swimming on campus, so we hoped into a car and headed to the swimcenter. went swimming for about 2 hours. now i felt slightly sore last night, and i ended up crashing before everyone else (acually they where throwing a party and i could not stay awake and went tobed before it even started) well now this morning im in crap loads of pain. it hurts to brethe, it hurts to move my legs it hurts ot move my arms i am sore all over. Is this caused by my phyiscal exertion? will it go away once my body gets used to working so hard? im gonna go back to laying down it hurts to sit up right

too much too quick, build up slowly, you wouldnt run a marathon without training for it before hand and its the same thing. dont worry you be back boarding again and partying soon.
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: