Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutten Free Shampoo

17 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone on this messageboard. You have helped me to cope with this disease. Does any know where I can found information regarding Gluten Free Shampoo, Conditioners, Mositurizers and Soaps. Thanks again Loretta

Ads by Google:

Hey,

I'm not sure where the best source for information about this sort of thing is, but I can tell you what celiac friendly products I use. I use Thermasilk shampoo, conditioner, and hair spray; they have no gluten in them. I also use Irish Spring soap, which I know is a gluten free. Occasionally I use Herbal Essences shampoo, but stay away from the conditioner and hair spray, as they contain several sources of wheat and I've had reactions after using both.

I went gluten-free almost a year-and-a-half ago and did not used to have a skin reaction. But after a year of being gluten-free my skin started reacting to wheat too. I went to a local support group meeting last year and met a Mary Kay saleswoman. Mary Kay manufactures their own products and she took the time to research all ingredients to all products to come up with a list that is gluten-free. She was there to let the celiac community know products were available. I switched over to their products for my face, make-up, lotions, and body washes. I haven't had a reaction since -- it's been six months.

Hope this helps :P

Kerriboo

Wow! I love my Mary Kay products (exfoliating face wash, moisturizer, lip mask and balm, and foundation), but since I went gluten-free I haven't been using ANY facial products except plain water and tiny amounts of concealer (Maybelline--I don't know if it is gluten-free, but I take great care to keep it away from my lips and off of my hands) when I go out in public. Are ALL May Kay products gluten-free, or only some of them? Is a list available online? Any further information you have would be greatly appreciated!

I also began being very sensitive to hair and skin related industrial products, to the point of not tolerating shampoos.

As a man, I was able to eliminate fancy hair products and I currently use concentrated tea (that I prepare myself) to wash my hair: boiled nettle, mallow, bur and camomile.

Very probable women will dislike this solution, but for me it works.

After developing an allergy to lauryl sulfate, I found a shampoo, which is wonderful, California Baby Shampoo for the supersensitive. Since using it, I don't need cream rinse. Shirley

Shirley,

Can you tell me where I can find California Baby Shampoo?

I live in Delaware but moving to PA soon. I've been looking

for johnson &johnson ultrasensitive shampoo but can't find it

Thanks for your help..

I buy mine at Whole Foods in La Jolla, because that is the only Whole Foods near us. You will find sticker shock as the price is $9.00 for a bottle. But that stuff really lasts a long time, longer than any shampoo I've ever tried and a bottle seems to last me many months. At least now my head is not broken out in a scabby rash. Good luck on Finding it. I think they also have a web site where it can be purchased. Try a search. Shirley

A week or two ago I bought from Whole Foods Natural Clarifying shampoo and Natural Lite Conditioner by Pure & Basic. Eacn 12 oz bottle is $4.69. Both are organic, no gluten among ingredients. My hair used to be dull and lifeless for years. Now it looks almost like normal hair should look. BUT... I just noticed there's citric acid in the shampoo. From this board I learned that citric acid my derive from gluten-containing grains. Anyone has any info on that?

Alexa

I use pan-tene prov shampoo and I do not have any problems with it. Also for

the wal-mart lovers ; they have an equate brand that says compare to pan-tene

pro-v and it works just as good with no problems. I use Rave hair spray and it

works really well. I have to watch out when buying hair,skin, and make-up

products because I have both the digestive and the dermatolig herpetiform

reactions to any celiac products. :angry: so I pick and choose al my products

very very wisely :D

Hope this helps some of you out B) ;

Rhonda

I use Thermasilk shampoo, conditioner, and hair spray; they have no gluten in them.
Thermasilk is gluten-free? That's great! Did you ask the company? I am looking for a gluten-free shampoo that protects the hair from heat.

I'm kind of a shampoo/conditioner snob and prefer the salon quality products. I use the Paul Mitchell "Instant Moisture" Daily Shampoo & Daily Treatment. For those who don't need as much moisture as I do (living in Utah!) - I've heard that the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil products are also gluten free - but be sure to check the labels :)

I love this stuff though! :) I have found the typical brands I buy in the store to be waxy & ineffective (leaving my hair frizzy & dry), so I don't mind paying a little extra. Plus, the salon stuff comes in huge bottles that last forever - so I don't think I end up paying much more for them at all!

I am still mourning the loss of my Humectress though :( *sniff*

OH! For moistuizer - I've also noticed that the Biolage intensive moisture conditioner (the one in the jar) doesn't contain any gluten. Check the label for yourself - but that's what I'll be buying next! :)

- Michelle :wub:

Are any of these fragrant-free?

I would like to use a non-fragrant gluten-free shampoo.

Thanks!

I have tried the shampoo and conditioner from the Gluten-Free Savonerie and like them. I think that all of their products are free of fragrances, too. Their site is www.gfsoaps.com.

- Tom

MySuicidalTurtle: The California Baby Super Sensitive is Fragrance Free. Our whole family uses it.

Judy 04: You can purchase the products directly from their website. The Super Sensitive Formula can be used on both hair and body. On the front of the bottle in addition to saying it's gluten-free it is also free of many other allergens. :)

Do you have to have gluten free everything? I mean even products like shampoos, soaps, etc. Wow, I was overwhelmed by just food having to be gluten free. Is that for everyone or just people who have the type of sprue that effects the skin?

Do you have to have gluten free everything?  I mean even products like shampoos, soaps, etc.  Wow, I was overwhelmed by just food having to be gluten free.  Is that for everyone or just people who have the type of sprue that effects the skin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The concern is that the suds wash down your face and get on your mouth and hands and face and could be transferred to food or whatever and you would be exposed to gluten. So, yes, you should be careful of soap, shampoo and conditioner. Sorry. :(