9 replies to this topic

#1 j9n

j9n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:06 PM

What is making me sick? Is sour cream gluten-free? I can not get into the web page for foster farms and the label says modified food starch. Could this be the culprit? I have been eating homemade guacamole. This is frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:22 PM

I couldn't find Foster Farms Sour Cream on any of my gluten-free lists, but that does not mean it is a problem. You would probably have to call the company, if you can't get through on their website. The number should be on the package.

Could you be having a problem with dairy, in general. It can cause some pretty bad reactions to people who are intolerant of it. For me the reaction is a horribly painful stomachache, gas, cramping, diarrhea, and extreme urgency with BM's. It feels different for me than a gluten accident, and I do not get the fatigue I get with gluten, or the DH rash.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

I went to the Foster Farms Website, and it was a bit confusing. I did eventually find the Customer Service information though. for anyone who wants to get a hold of them and find out the gluten-free status of their products this info might be helpful.

Foster Farms Dairy
cs@fosterdairyfarms.com

Customer Hotline 1-800-588-2334

Consumer Services 1-800-273-2226

No point in me checking, we can't have any dairy products... <_<

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:24 AM

Thanks Mariann. I did email them and I will post their response. I could be lactose intolerant. Hum, can't the doctor test me for this? My intestines are still really sensitive and I did have some home made ice cream as well. I do know that eggs make me ill. Back to chicken and rice again.
My gut feels like something is fermenting in there, with cramps and steatorrhea (sorry to be so gross), weight loss. It is an obvious reaction to something, just what? Does this sound like a problem with lactose?

#5 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:47 AM

One little bit of gluten can make you feel ill for quite a long time. My son-in-law made the artichoke dip for Sunday and rather than use the ingredients my daughter had laid out for him (like Hellman's mayo) he decided to use the Kraft light that was already opened. Well, that's not safe for us (their regular is tho') and I still feel awful! Burping, expelling gas, heatburn, stomach pains. It's been waking me up at night and just now at work they heard me clear across the hall! I never know when it's coming and it just happens! I expect by the weekend it may stop but in the meantime I feel rotten! So, it may have been your sour cream (I use Daisy, it's pure) or something else that got slipped to you. It's hard to avoid everything! I have to eat out twice at lunch this week and am worried sick about that! So, hang in there! It will get better.
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:58 AM

I was just in the store and the Kraft Lite mayo looks safe for us. Kraft says it will clearly list gluten and there was no wheat or barley anywhere in sight. HOWEVER, if the jar was already open somebody might have already contaminated it making a sandwich.

richard

#7 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:11 AM

He also added 2 types of cheese, artichokes and sour cream. He used Daisy Sour Cream so that's okay. All the lists I have say Kraft Mayo- regular only is gluten free but you have a great point about cross contamination! I bet there were tons of bread crumbs in there. I have never personally read the label of any Kraft Mayo as I'm a Hellman's fan. Who knows? It's so complicated. I still can't find a gluten free Chili Sauce and I have so many good recipes that calls for it. Guess I could substitute Heinz Kicked Up Catsup. Anyhow, thanks again about reminding me of cross contamination. We're going to lunch there in a few weeks so I will definitely bring that up!
Terri
Northern Virginia

#8 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:47 AM

Well Foster farms emailed me and said their sour cream is gluten free. Hum, maybe I need to cut out dairy for awhile anyway.
I have found I need my own butter stick, I went to use some and there were bread crumbs on it. Oh well, if I go dairy free and get some fake butter stuff no one in the house will touch it anyway!

#9 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:53 AM

Speaking of fake butter stuff, Smartbeat is gluten free. I like their squeeze stuff.It's only 5 calories! Of course as I don't eat bread, I just use it on potatoes and veggies. The only bread I eat is the Buthanese Red Rice and it lasts me months. I'd rather have my sandwich on a Lundberg wild rice cake spead with cream cheese and topped with meat, tomatoes & cheese. Anyhow, they suggest easing up on the dairy when you first go gluten free. I didn't but limited myself to cheese only. Good luck!
Terri
Northern Virginia

#10 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:39 PM

I went dairy free for the first year I was on the diet and then they eased it back into my diet and here I am today sitting at the computer eating string cheese and a glass of milk. If you go off it for a while it willl help your intestines heal easier.
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: